10 most valuable CURRENT Habs - #1

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
To me market value is what someone is willing to pay for something. If you have a painting worth 10M but no one who appreciate that kind of art has the money at the time to pay that much and the highest offer is 5M than your painting is worth 5M.

For example, the TB lightning wouldn't offer much of anything for Price. They have Ben Bishop doing a really good job and he has a lot of potential. Is Bishop better than Price, probably not but look how hard it was for TB to get a good goalie. They're honestly falling from the skies. The position is saturated with talent. Guys like Subban however are always worth their true value because you'll always find someone willing to pay his real value.

Goalies just aren't worth what you think they're worth.

Hell, Vancouver was stuck with 2 good goalies for a long time. Could never find a taker for Luongo. Had to trade Schneider instead and only got a first.

I think you'd be really underwhelmed by the offers for a #1 goalie, no matter who it is.

Well, Vancouver got a 10th overall in a very good draft. And Halak got a former 1st round pick taken about that high.

But you made a pretty good list, missing only Luongo that I can think of, which was widely seen as a bad deal for Florida because of the actual players involved, though not necessarily the type of return -- premier PWF, physical top 4 defenceman, and young-ish backup goalie.

To add to the discussion, we should make a list of recent trades involving top defencemen. Offhand I can't think of many, only Pronger, which was already some years ago. :dunno:

Edit

So I looked quickly at nhl.com and just a few names jumped out:

Phaneuf, Campbell, JJohnson, Shattenkirk, Leddy, Boyle, and I suppose Goligoski and Niskanen. JJohnson arguably got the best return, but even then the circumstances were pretty special. But on a quick look, I don't see far greater returns among that group.

Last edited:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
#1) P.K. Subban
#2) Carey Price
#3) Max Pacioretty
#4) Alex Galchenyuk
#5) Tomas Plekanec
#6) Brendan Gallagher
#7) Andrei Markov
#8) Lars Eller
#9) Josh Gorges
#10) Alexei Emelin

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
#1) P.K. Subban
#2) Carey Price
#3) Brendan Gallagher
#4) Alex Galchenyuk
#5) Tomas Plekanec
#6) Max Pacioretty
#7) Lars Eller
#8) Andrei Markov
#9) Josh Gorges
#10) Alexei Emelin

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
#1) P.K. Subban
#2) Carey Price
#3) Brendan Gallagher
#4) Alex Galchenyuk
#5) Tomas Plekanec
#6) Max Pacioretty
#7) Lars Eller
#8) Andrei Markov
#9) Josh Gorges
#10) Alexei Emelin

What??? Patches is pretty damn close to Subban and Price at #3 (especially with that contract).

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
What??? Patches is pretty damn close to Subban and Price at #3 (especially with that contract).

yeah but he had some consistency issues this year

Gallagher- always shows up
Plekanec- important 2 way center
Galchenyuk- I just love him

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
yeah but he had some consistency issues this year

Gallagher- always shows up
Plekanec- important 2 way center
Galchenyuk- I just love him

Pacioretty is the best of that bunch when it comes to putting the puck in the net. With this team's inability to score that alone should propel him above most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad