"10 Memorable Games in Canadiens History" and other hockey DVDs

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I only have the Flyers one, haven't watched all the games but I like the ones I have. This set seems to have more 70's games than most which is what I'm most interested in.

If the Capitals set is mostly modern games then I'll pass on that one. I wouldn't mind seeing a game from their first season, even a 10-0 blowout. Maybe even one game with the white pants!!

Wish I had the bucks to get 'em all though.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm thinking of buying the "10 Memorable Games in Canadiens History" DVD set (http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/detail_WHV-TM1376__918__canadiensbox08dvd.html)... anyone got it? Is it worth the prize (about 65 USD)?

I'm especially interested in the games PRE-1980s. The only real bummer I can think of is the fact that there is a 15 year gap (1960-75) between the oldest game (1960 Stanley Cup final) and the next oldest (New Year Eve's game vs. CSKA). Why no games 1961-1974??? Surely the reason can't be lack of footage, can it? Too bad.

Oh well, the 1st 4 games would be great to own anyway. I do already have the Habs vs. CSKA game, but it's missing something like 5-7 minutes from the 1st period :)cry: :sarcasm:). I hope the DVD set has the full version.

Are there any [other] hockey DVDs that are worth to buy (I'm especially thinking of ones that concern the history of the NHL)?

Yes, the Canadiens box set is great. I would also suggests the Legends DVDs vol. 1 & 2. The 1987 Canada Cup Box Set, 1972 Summit Series Box Set, the 1974 Soviet/WHA Box Set and the 1976 Canada Cup. Those are all must-haves. The other one is called Hockey: A People's History

As far as movies go, I really recommend Net Worth.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I have the Flyers set, they didn't include the exact 10 games I would have chosen, but for the most part they got it right.

I would have taken out the Tim Kerr 4 goal game and substituted the Reggie Leach 5 goal explosion in 1976 playoffs to eliminate the Bruins.

I also would have taken out the Roenick OT winner against the Leafs (great game) and inserted one from the Lindros era, probably one of the Rangers playoff games.

Other games I would love to see, if they put out another set:

1985 - Wales Conf. Finals game 6 - Poulin scores 2-men short to help eliminate the Nordiques 3-0, and send the Flyers to the Finals.

1987 - Wales Conf. Finals game 6 - Flyers become the only team to ever win 3 games at the Montreal Forum in one playoff series, eliminating the Habs along the way. This one also included a pregame brawl featuring Ed Hospadar, Chico Resch, Clause Lemieux, and one other Hab (I think Corson).

I would have added Game 4 in 1977 against Toronto but I'm not sure the game tape exists. Probably the team's best comeback ever, an OT win. Down three goals with about six minutes to play and three men issued game misconducts.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
BTW, are there any European posters (living in Europe) who has the Canadiens set?

I noticed that the DVD sold in Amazon (both US & CAN) has the 'Region 1' code, so at least in theory it isn't combatible with the DVD players sold here in Europe(???)

Does anyone know if there's a version that for sure works on 'European DVD players'?

Last edited:

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
OK, I got the Canadiens DVD. As of now, I can only watch the games via computer... :cry:

Anyway, just finished watching the (in)famous "Too many men etc." game (G7 of the 1979 SC semi-final vs. Boston), and it was a treat.

Obviously a legendary game, but I'd say it is that more due to the drama than amazing play (of course it has plenty of great performances/efforts too). Especially in the beginning, there's a fair amount of sloppy play from both teams, but the game gets better all the time. And hey, you gotta feel sorry for the Bruins; they became soooo close to finally whipping their long-time nemesis [on the 'last leg' of their dynasty] - players like Ratelle and Park would have deserved it, man. I don't think NY Rangers could have stopped them in the finals.

And which players stood out? Of course, Guy Lafleur has to be mentioned, though actually he is pretty invisible (no doubt partly due to Don Marcotte's shadowing job) during the first 2 periods... only to have a monster period 3! It was about time, at least if you listen what Danny Gallivan et co. are talking.

Serge Savard had a brilliant game - both defensively AND offensively(!). The more I see this guy play, the more I'm beginning to feel that he is one the most underrated players ever. Interestingly, he shows more offense than Larry Robinson in this game.

Ken Dryden... let's just say that the DVD set does not necessarily flatter him (I'm thinking of this and the game vs. CSKA).

Of the Boston Bruins players, two of them really shined IMO; Gilles Gilbert in net and 'old' Wayne Cashman (of whom I have never liked) who scored 2. Even though Gilbert eventually looks pretty mortal in the 3rd period, there's no doubt he played a great game with many point blank saves. In the disappointment department, I have to mention Brad Park; both offensively and defensively, I think he had an off-night.

I also watched the few minutes that were missing from the previous version of the New Year's game vs. Red Army that I had. Well, the Soviets apparently did get those 4 shots on goal in the 1st period after all! That missing sequence has a good shift from the top line, where they get 3 shots, I think. Not that it really changes the overall picture of the game...

Last edited:

Canadiens Fan

Oct 3, 2008
And which players stood out? Of course, Guy Lafleur has to be mentioned, though actually he is pretty invisible (no doubt partly due to Don Marcotte's shadowing job) during the first 2 periods... only to have a monster period 3! It was about time, at least if you listen what Danny Gallivan et co. are talking.

Lafleur's third period in that game is unbelievable for two reasons, his play and his endurance. Watching that thrid period again, one has a hard time finding a stretch of that period where he is not on the ice. It's too bad they didn't keep track of ice time back then. I would love to know not only Lafleur's time from that game but Savard & Robinson as well.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Well, if there's ever a similar kind of DVD on Soviet (ntl team/CSKA/etc.) hockey coming out (chances of that happening = slim & none), here are the 10 games I'd like to see:

1954 World Championships, USSR vs. Canada 7-2
Bobrov et co. get the 1st one

1968 Winter Olympics, USSR vs. Canada 5-0*
Firsov, Starshinov, Ragulin etc. lead the Soviets to the Olympic gold

1972 Summit Series, game 1, USSR vs. Team Canada 7-3*
As a game, it is not very good IMO, but definitely a milestone in Soviet hockey history

1975-76 Super Series, CSKA vs. Boston Bruins 5-2*
Totally overshadowed by the Montreal and Philly games, this is however their best win of the classic series, and the game itself is great and closer than the final score indicates

1976 Winter Olympics, USSR vs. CSSR 4-3*
Actually, even a tie would have secured them the Olympic gold, but some late heroics seal the victory over the 'flu-ridden' Czechoslovaks. The 2nd line of Shalimov, Shadrin and Yakushev is every bit as important as the top line. Even though he doesn't score, the most dangerous Czech player in this game is Bohuslav Ebermann IMO.

1978 World Championships, USSR vs. CSSR 3-1*
USSR needs to beat the Czechs by 2 goals on the latter's home-ice, and this they achieve. I can't stress enough the importance of this win; a loss would have been a total disaster for Soviet hockey! Czechoslovaks would have won the world championship for the 3rd time in a row. Balderis is the offensive star for USSR, while Mikhailov, Petrov, Fetisov, Tsygankov do some great penalty-killing. Martinec, Hlinka, Peter and Marian Stastny lead the Czech attack.

1979 Challenge Cup, game 3, USSR vs. NHL All-Stars 6-0*
Game 2 is a better match, but this is what the series is remembered for. Great defensive hockey from USSR, and some 'decent' offense too...

1981 Canada Cup, USSR vs. Team Canada 8-1*
Tretiak rules, Shepelev rules, Soviet hockey rules :D

1987 Canada Cup finals, game 1, USSR vs. Team Canada 6-5 OT*
Semak's wrister ends a thrilling contest

1990 World Championships, USSR vs. Canada 7-1 (or any victorious game)
After this one, the party was really over :cry:

* footage exists for sure

The idea is - as with the other DVDs, it seems - that the games were ones that USSR won - or at least got a draw on, so no game 8 of the Summit Series or Miracles On Ice.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I generally like the Top 10 Games Series and I have them for each team except Philly but I bought the Washington 1 recently. I know Ovie's been important to that franchise but I would think that they would have more than 3 pre-Ovie games. Though they where swept a game from the 1998 Stanley Cup finals would have been nicer than some random game in the Ovie era.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
So, anyone like to pick up this discussion again? Add the Wings and Blackhawks DVD to the mix. I see some aren't happy with the Hawks set by the Amazon reviews - seems to be mostly modern games with only one period from a 60's game. The other "old" stuff is retirement ceremonies, not exactly the thing I'd buy a "best games" DVD to see.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
BTW, are there any European posters (living in Europe) who has the Canadiens set?

I noticed that the DVD sold in Amazon (both US & CAN) has the 'Region 1' code, so at least in theory it isn't combatible with the DVD players sold here in Europe(???)

Does anyone know if there's a version that for sure works on 'European DVD players'?
This is only 9 months old or so...

But if you haven't done so yet, it's pretty easy to unlock your DVD player and make it region-free, especially if it's on the cheaper end. I have a Phillips and it was just a couple clicks of the remote.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
So, anyone like to pick up this discussion again? Add the Wings and Blackhawks DVD to the mix. I see some aren't happy with the Hawks set by the Amazon reviews - seems to be mostly modern games with only one period from a 60's game. The other "old" stuff is retirement ceremonies, not exactly the thing I'd buy a "best games" DVD to see.

I'd love to see them just throw out a 93-94 Sharks-Wings DVD set of all 7 games with Randy Hahn and Pete Whatevertheheckhisnamewaski on the mic.

Wet Sprocket

Apr 10, 2007
Sacramento
I'd love to see them just throw out a 93-94 Sharks-Wings DVD set of all 7 games with Randy Hahn and Pete Whatevertheheckhisnamewaski on the mic.

God that's such a great idea! I think it's more likely that they make a summery type highlight video of the series, but I'd love to actually feel the drama of the upset unfolding over the full game footage. That would be a perfect Sharks Store type item in two years when its the 20th Anniversary of the series. The Sharks need to do this, its hopefully wouldn't be too hard.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Sorry to bump this oldie goldie of a thread, but I just recently purchased the Oilers' "10 greatest games" DVD set, and I need to speak up!

I've already watched 3 games; 1984 SC final vs. the Islanders, game 1 (battle of the goalies!), 1988 division final vs. the Flames and the 1990 SC final vs. the Bruins (battle of the goalies II). I'm not totally happy with the picture quality of some, but other than that, all were treats, especially the Bruins game, although the GWG is a bit anti-climatic. I'm glad that they did not always choose the cup winning games etc, but rather opted for more exciting games.

A couple of thoughts:

- it is a bit humorous to see Dave Semenko playing with Gretzky and Kurri; has there ever been a greater disparity on any other forward line? Even Gillies-Trottier-Bossy was never even near that lopsided (btw, did Gillies and Semenko ever 'get it on'?)
- the Oilers just look better than the Islanders by 1984, even in game 1, which was very close (and yes, I know that the Islanders won the following game by a blowout, but still...)
- for some reason, I always seem to forget how fast Mark Messier was... until I'm reminded of that fact again... like here
- another speedster, Reijo Ruotsalainen, looks reliable and stronger than I remembered
- Ray Bourque and, to lesser extent, Cam Neely really were the 'be all and end all' of the 1990 Bruins

Damn, I also wanted to get the Islanders set, but apparently you can't find it with a reasonable price anymore. Of course, just a little while ago, I still knew an online store that had it & sold it fairly 'cheap', but just when I was ready to purchase it - boom - it was not available anymore. So it goes.

Does anyone know why there is no Bruins DVD set?
As far as I can understand, full playoff/cup winning games from 1970 and 1972 do not exist (cf. the Montreal DVD set, the 1960s/early 1970s), which is a real bummer, but I'd still think that there are some great games/wins (games/series)available even from the Orr/Esposito era (e.g. the 1974 playoffs/final?), not to mention from the late 1970s/1980s etc., culminating with the 2011 Stanley Cup. I mean, if it had the right games, I would buy it in a heartbeat, even if there were not too many games with Orr.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I was hoping the bump meant a new set was coming out! As for the Bruins, I believe they put out a two-disc set, but I don't think they put any games on it. Such a bummer that it was so underwhelming.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
They should really do a top 10 games for each Habs dynasty; and for any other dynasty for that matter. This DVD does not do justice any of the Habs dynasty's.

EdmontonFanatic

Dec 16, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I was hoping the bump meant a new set was coming out! As for the Bruins, I believe they put out a two-disc set, but I don't think they put any games on it. Such a bummer that it was so underwhelming.

According to Amazon.ca the 1984 Canada Cup is going to be released on DVD two days before Christmas.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
They should really do a top 10 games for each Habs dynasty; and for any other dynasty for that matter. This DVD does not do justice any of the Habs dynasty's.

If there are enough full games from the '50s/'60s, well, I'm all for it. Heck, even the Pittsburgh Penguins have put out 2 DVD sets (10 greatest games vol 1 & 2).

I won't be buying it...'84 was a good tourney but never had the thunder of '87 or skill of '76 Team Canada. Sather had a few guys on there who otherwise would not have been there.

I guess so, but I'd still say that their semi-final performance vs. USSR is Team Canada's best ever against the Soviet national team in a clutch game. And quite a turnaround vis-à-vis a horrible round-robin (by Canadian standards).

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
According to Amazon.ca the 1984 Canada Cup is going to be released on DVD two days before Christmas.

Do you have a link for this? I've searched Amazon.ca and .com and haven't found any reference to this. I'd like to pre-order.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I've seen game 6 of the 74 finals. Gilbert and Parent had about the best goaltenders duel I've ever seen. Both stood on their head with a whole lot of offensive talent on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad