Post-Game Talk: #10| FLYERS at Lightning |Thu., Oct. 30, 2014

Solefool

Jul 2, 2013
how will it make him feel to be back in the line up Saturday against Florida?

He'll go from down to happy. The exact emotional roller coaster you want to AVOID putting a young defenseman on to prevent a stunt in development. He should be in LV playing 20 minutes a night.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
This exactly. People on this board talk about players as if they were Pejorative Slurs. Ghost and Mason won't start sucking because they don't play, if anything, it'll motivate them more to perform. But at the NHL level, motivation has little to do with performance. It's more than that. Some ppl don't realize that these players are the bests in the world.

I agree with Ghost, he is young. But pretty sure Masons biggest hurdle of his career is his mental game. I think you do need to handle him with some extra care

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
@billmeltzer: Rule 74.1: Players... leaving the ice shall be within five feet (5') of his players’ bench and out of the play before the change is made,

@billmeltzer: Bellemare met both criteria of the rule even though he skated along bench to the middle. Was well within five feet and was out of the play.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
This exactly. People on this board talk about players as if they were Pejorative Slurs. Ghost and Mason won't start sucking because they don't play, if anything, it'll motivate them more to perform. But at the NHL level, motivation has little to do with performance. It's more than that. Some ppl don't realize that these players are the bests in the world.

I know I'd be in the NHL right now if my Pee-Wee coach didn't sit me for a couple games and kill my confidence.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
@billmeltzer: Rule 74.1: Players... leaving the ice shall be within five feet (5') of his players’ bench and out of the play before the change is made,

@billmeltzer: Bellemare met both criteria of the rule even though he skated along bench to the middle. Was well within five feet and was out of the play.

Exactly why I said that doesn't get called 10/10 times.

Solefool

Jul 2, 2013
I know I'd be in the NHL right now if my Pee-Wee coach didn't sit me for a couple games and kill my confidence.

I don't understand why you're brushing off the importance of confidence and nurturing the psyche of a young player (especially a defenseman). It seems irresponsible to try to diminish that. Especially while posting on a message board based around the nuances of player development.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I don't understand why you're brushing off the importance of confidence and nurturing the psyche of a young player (especially a defenseman). It seems irresponsible to try to diminish that. Especially while posting on a message board based around the nuances of player development.

He knew from the get-go that he was permanently on the team. This was a learning experience so he can know what to work on in the AHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
@NHLFlyers
BREAKING: The #Flyers have signed free-agent defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo.

He's actually a pretty good defenseman when he's healthy, the whole story of his career is one injury after another. But as a short-term patch who can play as an offensive defenseman, he's actually a pretty good choice.

Hockey news:
Assets: Plays a sound positional game and rarely gets beaten one-on-one because of his good skating ability. Has some offensive know-how and puck-moving skills. Can also work on the power play.
Flaws: Has had a hard time avoiding the injury bug at the NHL level. Can make mistakes in his own end, and lacks the durability to play a consistently physical game. Is a bit limited on offense, too.
Career Potential: Solid all-round defenseman, when healthy.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
My thoughts:

Rinaldo. Thanks for the goal against while you sat in the box.
Every season you get a few games that get 'reffed.' We'll get one later in our favor, but yikes. Pretty ugly by the refs. PED all but had his newspaper open he was so woefully out of that play.
Flyers deserve some blame for not adequately defending Stammer's wheelhouse. You know he's going to shoot from there. It's what he does. Needed to be watched closer.
A lot of missed chances that could have turned this game around earlier. So clooose.
Razor played reasonably well again.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012

Why is it every time we play in Tampa I feel like we get ripped off by the refs. I thought it was absolutely a pathetic display of refereeing. We deserved a better fate. BTW Umberger is a useless hockey player Hextall's first trade was pathetic! Hopefully he does better going forward i'm expecting a lot from him.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Lol at whoever said Giroux can shoot like Stamkos. That's about as far from the truth as you can get. His first goal tonight was amazing, didn't look like he had anything to shoot at. (On second look, Emery was screened and shouldn't have left the whole short side open like he did, not as amazing as I thought. Doesn't change the fact Stamkos is shooting at 4x the accuracy of Giroux)

Speaking of which, Giroux's shooting percentage continues to drop. So many shots wide of the net tonight as well. He's racking up the shots, he's 1 behind Stamkos for 2nd in the league, but they're all terrible shots. Almost none look dangerous. I like the idea of putting everything on net, but man he needs to work on his accuracy.

Holy hell though, he and Voracek are racking up points. Voracek is a beast, every time he touches the puck he looks dangerous, especially coming off the half wall into the slot. Glad he got one tonight. This first line is looking like one of the best in the league.

We coulda had this games if the refs didn't screw us. Love how we've looked lately, the defense has been surprisingly solid. Both Schenn's actually looking good too. Time to light up the Panthers.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Lol at whoever said Giroux can shoot like Stamkos. That's about as far from the truth as you can get. His first goal tonight was amazing, didn't look like he had anything to shoot at. (On second look, Emery was screened and shouldn't have left the whole short side open like he did, not as amazing as I thought. Doesn't change the fact Stamkos is shooting at 4x the accuracy of Giroux)

Speaking of which, Giroux's shooting percentage continues to drop. So many shots wide of the net tonight as well. He's racking up the shots, he's 1 behind Stamkos for 2nd in the league, but they're all terrible shots. Almost none look dangerous. I like the idea of putting everything on net, but man he needs to work on his accuracy.

He can absolutely shoot as well as anyone in the league.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
He can absolutely shoot as well as anyone in the league.

He definitely has a good shot, but saying he can shoot as well as anyone in the league seems pretty false. Guys like Ovechkin, and Stamkos certainly are in a different tier.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
G's shooting % will come up...

and I do feel him firing the puck so often is a good thing. He gets in space so often with a lane that it probably is a better play to smash it on goal that wait for a perfect pass unless everyone is set up.

That seems to be the logic he is playing with this year, when there is good, sustained pressure he tries to be his old cute self and make insane passes, but if there are say 3 men in the zone and one driving to the net on the rush in he will hammer it at goal or off the boards instead of waiting for a D men to get there etc. We have seen a few goals this year already due to G just firing on net and getting rebounds, causing havoc in front and getting bounces.

He has such a heavy shot it is nice he is using it more. Adds another aspect to his already well rounded game.

Either that or he is secretly a massive Corsi fan and wants to be KingCorsi. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad