AMW
The Unamericans
The Hardy’s
Edge and Christian
Motor City Machine Guns
London and Kendrick

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not big on tag team wrestling but here's a shot at it...

1. Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson / The Brain Busters - I am a big fan of both guys and they fit together almost perfectly.

2. The Steiners - Best power team ever and Scott could do pretty much anything in the ring during their prime.

3. The New Age Outlaws - Fun team and the best example of taking two guys who suck and creating something surprisingly good.

4. The Fabulous Rougeaus - I guess I'm a mark for all-American tag teams, and this is the best one.

5. The Hart Foundation - Late 80s into 90s Bret Hart is the best wrestler who's ever primarily been a tag team wrestler and they work very well together. In many ways the archetypal tag team.

6. War Machine - Can have a variety of match types and they're all pretty enjoyable. Unfortunate about their current state.

7. Harlem Heat - Booker T was able to carry a lot of entertaining matches for them. Stevie Ray was big at least.

8. The Briscoe Brothers - Great believable aura around them, really unique gimmick and Jay takes care of the in ring work well.

9. The Heavenly Bodies - Obviously Cornette's best tag team. Mainly due to Gigolo Jimmy.

10. Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow - I had thought that this would be a great team before I found out that it actually existed. Insane combination of size and agility. I still need to seek out more of their matches.

Honourable Mentions - Vicious and Delicious, The Revival, The Miracle Violence Connection, The Spirit Squad, Hardline Collection Agency, Kobashi and Misawa, The Fabulous Freebirds

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
1. The Killer Bees - masked confusion was the single greatest move in the history of wrestling
2. Can Am Connection/Strike Force
3. Road Warriors
4. Demolition - Axe and Smash(not Crush)
5. Hart Foundation
6. The Machines
7. The Rougeaus (especially the Montreal Version)
8. British Bulldogs
9. Sheik and Volkov
10. Brain Busters

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
In no particular order and this is off the top of my head:
  • The Rock n Roll Express: They were great in the early/mid 80s. Over as anyone ever. Great in the ring and probably more in sync than any other tag team. Morton could cut a promo too.
  • The British Bulldogs: My favorite team as a kid by a long way. Arguably the best in the ring, loved how they paired together. Also loved how quick they were/seemed. I think a heel turn might have done them a favor in terms of their promos.
  • The Brain Busters: I'll admit I didn't appreciate them as much as a kid, but you know they were good heels when you didn't like them. Like how they paired together in the ring, but their promos were on another level. Those NWA/Crockett promos and then straight into the ring... great stuff.
  • The Rougeaus: One of the most underrated teams of all time. Their in-ring work is better than I remember giving them credit for back in the day. Great on the mic too. While I liked the idea of getting 50% of the Hart Foundations take, they didn't need Jimmy Hart.
  • The Hart Foundation: Loved the look and I think their promos/persona really matched up to that too. Loved the combination of them in the ring. They didn't need Jimmy Hart either.
  • "La Pareja del Terror"/Los Gringos Locos: Have to be the most underrated team of all time. Fantastic in the ring and they generated heat as good as anyone outside the ring. Probably my favorite team of all time at the moment.
  • The Midnight Express: Eaton and Lane. I think their in-ring work is underrated. Eaton didn't look like much, but the guy could wrestle. I'm including Cornette here because he was so much a part of them. They feuded with everybody, even The Brain Busters, and were always worthy opponents.
  • The Fabulous Freebirds: Gordy, Hayes and Roberts. "The Freebird Rule" was a great gimmick. In the ring they weren't the best, well more so Hayes they he could sell and generated a ton of heat, but they drew and could cut a good promo.
  • The Thrillseekers: From the very little I've seen their promos weren't great and I don't even know how they worked as a team, but I don't care. To of my favorites of all time together.
  • The Wyatt Family: At least that's how I'm dubbing them. Harper and Rowan. Great "big" team that were better in the ring than I think they got credit for. IMO they needed a better finishing move, but that's about it. Great as part of the Wyatt Family, but Harper can cut a promo. WWE f'ed up with that Bludgeon Brothers nonsense. A leaderless Harper and Rowan would have been a better angle.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Numbers are just there to help me get to 10. This is in no order

1. New Age Outlaws (DX)
2. The Dudleys
3. Too Cool
4. Booker T & Goldust
5. Harlem Heat
6. The Young Bucks
7. Los Guerrero's
8. Cryme Tyme
9. Rock N Sock Connection
10. G.o.D

HM: Road Warriors (only really remember the end of their careers), Hardy's.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
1. Ole & Gene Anderson
2. Pat Patterson & Ray Stevens
3. Fabulous Freebirds ( Gordy/Hayes/Roberts
4. Stan Hansen & Bruiser Brody
5. Holy Demon Army
6. Road Warriors
7. Steiners
8. Midnight Express ( Eaton & Condrey)
9. Greg Valentine & Ric Flair
10. Dory Funk Jr. & Terry Funk

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
1. Ole & Gene Anderson
2. Pat Patterson & Ray Stevens
3. Fabulous Freebirds ( Gordy/Hayes/Roberts
4. Stan Hansen & Bruiser Brody
5. Holy Demon Army
6. Road Warriors
7. Steiners
8. Midnight Express ( Eaton & Condrey)
9. Greg Valentine & Ric Flair
10. Dory Funk Jr. & Terry Funk

I've never seen a Valentine and Flair match. Probably should search one out at some point. I don't care for Valentine but people talk that team up and Flair is great.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I've never seen a Valentine and Flair match. Probably should search one out at some point. I don't care for Valentine but people talk that team up and Flair is great.

I cringe when I see people put up Cryme Time/Too Cool and team like that. They wouldn't be in my top 200. Greg Valentine from 1977 to around 1983 was an absolute stud.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Demolition & Hart Foundation are tops for me.

After that it's tough to say because I enjoyed some of the big tag teams but also some of the mid-level ones that were underrated a lot. Either way I'd lean toward "actual tag teams" instead of 2 stars randomly thrown together for a brief time.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I'm going to have a top 50 or 100 tag team list out in a few weeks. Obviously by reading some of the posts on here, a few people only know about the garbage that's on TV currently and really don't know the history of the sport. I have around 155 teams so far in my database to go through.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Demolition & Hart Foundation are tops for me.

After that it's tough to say because I enjoyed some of the big tag teams but also some of the mid-level ones that were underrated a lot. Either way I'd lean toward "actual tag teams" instead of 2 stars randomly thrown together for a brief time.

What or who do you mean with throwing 2 stars together comment?

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Numbers are just there to help me get to 10. This is in no order

1. New Age Outlaws (DX)
2. The Dudleys
3. Too Cool
4. Booker T & Goldust
5. Harlem Heat
6. The Young Bucks
7. Los Guerrero's
8. Cryme Tyme
9. Rock N Sock Connection
10. G.o.D

HM: Road Warriors (only really remember the end of their careers), Hardy's.

This list is cringe worthy.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
In no particular order and this is off the top of my head:
  • The Rock n Roll Express: They were great in the early/mid 80s. Over as anyone ever. Great in the ring and probably more in sync than any other tag team. Morton could cut a promo too.
  • The British Bulldogs: My favorite team as a kid by a long way. Arguably the best in the ring, loved how they paired together. Also loved how quick they were/seemed. I think a heel turn might have done them a favor in terms of their promos.
  • The Brain Busters: I'll admit I didn't appreciate them as much as a kid, but you know they were good heels when you didn't like them. Like how they paired together in the ring, but their promos were on another level. Those NWA/Crockett promos and then straight into the ring... great stuff.
  • The Rougeaus: One of the most underrated teams of all time. Their in-ring work is better than I remember giving them credit for back in the day. Great on the mic too. While I liked the idea of getting 50% of the Hart Foundations take, they didn't need Jimmy Hart.
  • The Hart Foundation: Loved the look and I think their promos/persona really matched up to that too. Loved the combination of them in the ring. They didn't need Jimmy Hart either.
  • "La Pareja del Terror"/Los Gringos Locos: Have to be the most underrated team of all time. Fantastic in the ring and they generated heat as good as anyone outside the ring. Probably my favorite team of all time at the moment.
  • The Midnight Express: Eaton and Lane. I think their in-ring work is underrated. Eaton didn't look like much, but the guy could wrestle. I'm including Cornette here because he was so much a part of them. They feuded with everybody, even The Brain Busters, and were always worthy opponents.
  • The Fabulous Freebirds: Gordy, Hayes and Roberts. "The Freebird Rule" was a great gimmick. In the ring they weren't the best, well more so Hayes they he could sell and generated a ton of heat, but they drew and could cut a good promo.
  • The Thrillseekers: From the very little I've seen their promos weren't great and I don't even know how they worked as a team, but I don't care. To of my favorites of all time together.
  • The Wyatt Family: At least that's how I'm dubbing them. Harper and Rowan. Great "big" team that were better in the ring than I think they got credit for. IMO they needed a better finishing move, but that's about it. Great as part of the Wyatt Family, but Harper can cut a promo. WWE f'ed up with that Bludgeon Brothers nonsense. A leaderless Harper and Rowan would have been a better angle.
Pretty decent list. I'll say right now that my top 30 will have all but 4 of these teams up there.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I'm not big on tag team wrestling but here's a shot at it...

1. Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson / The Brain Busters - I am a big fan of both guys and they fit together almost perfectly.

2. The Steiners - Best power team ever and Scott could do pretty much anything in the ring during their prime.

3. The New Age Outlaws - Fun team and the best example of taking two guys who suck and creating something surprisingly good.

4. The Fabulous Rougeaus - I guess I'm a mark for all-American tag teams, and this is the best one.

5. The Hart Foundation - Late 80s into 90s Bret Hart is the best wrestler who's ever primarily been a tag team wrestler and they work very well together. In many ways the archetypal tag team.

6. War Machine - Can have a variety of match types and they're all pretty enjoyable. Unfortunate about their current state.

7. Harlem Heat - Booker T was able to carry a lot of entertaining matches for them. Stevie Ray was big at least.

8. The Briscoe Brothers - Great believable aura around them, really unique gimmick and Jay takes care of the in ring work well.

9. The Heavenly Bodies - Obviously Cornette's best tag team. Mainly due to Gigolo Jimmy.

10. Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow - I had thought that this would be a great team before I found out that it actually existed. Insane combination of size and agility. I still need to seek out more of their matches.

Honourable Mentions - Vicious and Delicious, The Revival, The Miracle Violence Connection, The Spirit Squad, Hardline Collection Agency, Kobashi and Misawa, The Fabulous Freebirds

Nice to see Puroresu on an actual list. I also get the joke about the "All American" line.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
1. Road Warriors
2. Steiner Brothers
3. British Bulldogs
4. Hart Foundation
5. Hollywood Blonds
6. Harlem Heat
7. The Eliminators
8. Edge and Christian
9. The Miracle Violence Connection
10. Faces of Fear
Hm to Dudleys, Hardys, Doom

Not bad/not great either.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
What or who do you mean with throwing 2 stars together comment?

I had Macho/Warrior, Macho/Hulk, Hulk/Warrior in mind, so along those lines. Undertaker & Kane, never cared for it whatsoever. Seems a stable is far better move at that point with all the star power. I grew up on WWF and didn't really see much of anything else until the mid/late 90s so that's all I can go by. Nothing from current times.

On that note, putting two "stars" together to make a team like the New Age Outlaws for instance, that can be great but also a very different point than the above. I realize they weren't "stars" prior to that, but they were around enough to be plenty established, so it counts.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice to see Puroresu on an actual list. I also get the joke about the "All American" line.

I don't necessarily love the way that Japanese wrestling has handled tag teams for the most part, as what you see is often just two singles guys coming together for a time but remaining primarily singles guys, but sometimes it just works out really well. This is true for All Japan anyway.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I had Macho/Warrior, Macho/Hulk, Hulk/Warrior in mind, so along those lines. Undertaker & Kane, never cared for it whatsoever. Seems a stable is far better move at that point with all the star power. I grew up on WWF and didn't really see much of anything else until the mid/late 90s so that's all I can go by. Nothing from current times.

On that note, putting two "stars" together to make a team like the New Age Outlaws for instance, that can be great but also a very different point than the above. I realize they weren't "stars" prior to that, but they were around enough to be plenty established, so it counts.

I thought it was when seeing me having Valentine & Flair as a team. They were so hated as a team in the Mid-Atlantic area, they turned Ole & Gene Anderson babyface after they injured Gene. This was in 1976 and Ole teamed in late 76/early 77 and into 78 with Wahoo McDaniel in trying to get back at Flair & Valentine. The Andersons would wrestle Paul Jones & Ricky Steamboat and be the heels one night and the next Ole would team with Wahoo against Flair & Valentine as a face.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Pretty decent list. I'll say right now that my top 30 will have all but 4 of these teams up there.

I'm sure I can guess who. Favorite for me doesn't denote best. Thrillseekers are on my list simply because Jericho is my all time favorite and Storm is up there as well.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I'm sure I can guess who. Favorite for me doesn't denote best. Thrillseekers are on my list simply because Jericho is my all time favorite and Storm is up there as well.

For me to like someone, especially in the world of wrestling, they had to be good. The Thrillseekers were green, but the girls loved them and they weren't afraid to take bumps. As I said, I will post in a few weeks my top 100 or so with a bit of a bio if possible. Maybe it will get a few people to check some people out that they might have never heard of before even.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad