GDT: 10/7/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
How was I supposed to know Toronto's defense was this bad? I have been told the opposite all summer long. Or is this just a normal defensive effort from the Leafs?

HATTY for Tavares..what was that about his D?
[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It’s early. I’m still worried. Team defense needs a lot of work and it’s evident how weak Toronto is on the right side.

As I type this, Tavares gets his third...

I get that. You can’t count on just scoring every game, especially in the playoffs. There is time to make some adjustments, and maybe go shopping, if the opportunity presents itself.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I've avoided your posts because you seem very hellbent on talking about the Leafs, no matter what the tangent of the discussion is as long as you can provide a contrarian opinion. You should find a better hobby, man.
Not really. I'm asking a question.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
As I type this, Tavares gets his third...

I get that. You can’t count on just scoring every game, especially in the playoffs. There is time to make some adjustments, and maybe go shopping, if the opportunity presents itself.

I think the Leafs are getting to the point where they need to go shopping for some stability on the back end. I’m comfortable dealing from a position of strength.

I don’t want to be one of those teams stuck in the mud, failing to make changes where they need to

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The numbers don’t back it up, though.

I think you’re not recognizing that.

Matthews is an extremely effective ES scorer, but he’s not McDavid.

you kidding right?

Matthews 64ESG in 147 games
McDavid 63ESG in 165 games

how again do the numbers not back it up? more goals in 18 less games also getting 3 1/2 mins less/gm. try again

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
you kidding right?

how again do the numbers not back it up? more goals in 18 less games. try again
I could be wrong, but McDavid definitely has more even-strength primary points than Matthews -- which is a better indicator of who's more productive -- but Matthews is undoubtedly a better finisher than everyone in the NHL at evens, and it's not particularly close.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
you kidding right?

how again do the numbers not back it up? more goals in 18 less games also getting 3 1/2 mins less/gm. try again
Because you are talking past each other: one keeps referring to goals, the other to points. Can we just say they're both special players?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think the Leafs are getting to the point where they need to go shopping for some stability on the back end. I’m comfortable dealing from a position of strength.

I don’t want to be one of those teams stuck in the mud, failing to make changes where they need to

It’s a hell of a position of strength too. They’re in a position to deal a good asset, and return a good defenseman. In theory, at least. It can be tough to find a good defenseman, but that’s probably why it’s better to start looking earlier rather than closer to the deadline.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
you kidding right?

Do assists not count?

McDavid impacts the scoresheet different than Matthews does, and his greatest strength seems to be distributing the puck.

When you consider assists/total points, a much different picture gets painted.

Reactions: Sojourn

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
you kidding right?

So now only goals count, as opposed to points. You're constantly moving the line, tailoring it to Matthews. He's a great player, but let's let him prove something before we anoint him the best scorer in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad