Post-Game Talk: 10/4 - Preseason #5 - Montréal 4 BRUINS 3 F

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ridiculous that people here actually want Schaller on the NHL roster. The guy is a middle 6 AHL guy, and nothing more. He is not "good defensively". He could barely stick on a Buffalo Sabres roster that was the worst team this millennium.

So who would you suggest?

Is there really that big of a gap between perpetual healthy scratch Randell and "middle 6 AHL guy" in Schaller?

Perhaps you would like to see Seth Griffith playing his off-wing on the 4th line?

How about Rinaldo? He can play LW and kill penalties.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
man if people are getting this bent out of shape after a pre-season loss it's going to be a loooooong season around here

I'm not getting bent out of shape (because I expected this) but you have to understand why people might be.

Even though it's already well documented that our defense sucks, some people were thinking that they might be better than last year.

After last night, it's obvious that not only are the old players older, but the young players haven't improved (so far).

I'm no mathologist but if those 2 things are accurate, that means the defense will be worse than last season.

Also, Rask apologists are going to have to get their keyboard fingers ready this season.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Any video highlites?

Yes there are highlights on the Canadiens French website. Just have to click around to find them. It's all in French. Highlights have no audio and are like 4 minutes long. Ehrhoff had a bomb, spooner had a little chip shot out front. Czarnik beat Markov on a draw at the defensive blue line the way seguin used to and ripped a top shelf shot far side from the right wing.

Chara responsible for 2 goals. 1 for leaving a man in the high slot while he covered nobody in the low slot. The other on an intercepted break out pass which some guy took around Mcquaid and then rask. The other 2 goals I blame rask for. One a good shot from petry he should have had and the other a short side slap shot in close on a one timer from galchenyuk on a PP. would have been a tough save there but he's a 7 million dollar goalie.

Edit- link to highlights https://www.nhl.com/fr/canadiens/video/resume-bos-3-mtl-4/t-277616218/c-45084803

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
The goal for this season definitely needs to be making the playoffs, regardless of how many rounds they may win. This will bring interest back to the team, revenue, and safeguard Sweeney so he can continue working his rebuild and keep Claude on who I believe would be a waste to lose

However if they are not in a playoff spot by the deadline and or clearly don't have what it takes to gauarantee one by the end, they need to ship some guys out for picks and think about drafting high this year.

The worst thing that could happen, for a third year in a row, would be a 9th place finish

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
The goal for this season definitely needs to be making the playoffs, regardless of how many rounds they may win. This will bring interest back to the team, revenue, and safeguard Sweeney so he can continue working his rebuild and keep Claude on who I believe would be a waste to lose

However if they are not in a playoff spot by the deadline and or clearly don't have what it takes to gauarantee one by the end, they need to ship some guys out for picks and think about drafting high this year.

The worst thing that could happen, for a third year in a row, would be a 9th place finish
While making the playoffs should always be a goal for any team, I don't hold out hope for this roster. Not with the elderly defense Sweeney has constructed. Unless he pulls off a trade for a Trouba/Fowler type it's not easy to be optimistic about the Bruins' chances.

The goal, from my perspective, should be to build an organization that can contend for a Cup for years to come. That means playing the youngsters to give them the experience to compete in the future. With Senyshyn, McAvoy, Carlo, Zboril among others, on the horizon, this team can become a powerhouse, assuming some of them develop as expected.

Trading young assets now to squeeze into the playoffs this season is not the way to build for the future. Patientia virtutis est.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Yes there are highlights on the Canadiens French website. Just have to click around to find them. It's all in French. Highlights have no audio and are like 4 minutes long. Ehrhoff had a bomb, spooner had a little chip shot out front. Czarnik beat Markov on a draw at the defensive blue line the way seguin used to and ripped a top shelf shot far side from the right wing.

Chara responsible for 2 goals. 1 for leaving a man in the high slot while he covered nobody in the low slot. The other on an intercepted break out pass which some guy took around Mcquaid and then rask. The other 2 goals I blame rask for. One a good shot from petry he should have had and the other a short side slap shot in close on a one timer from galchenyuk on a PP. would have been a tough save there but he's a 7 million dollar goalie.

Edit- link to highlights https://www.nhl.com/fr/canadiens/video/resume-bos-3-mtl-4/t-277616218/c-45084803

Thanks..... I think

Our D needs so much help. :cry:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
While making the playoffs should always be a goal for any team, I don't hold out hope for this roster. Not with the elderly defense Sweeney has constructed. Unless he pulls off a trade for a Trouba/Fowler type it's not easy to be optimistic about the Bruins' chances.

The goal, from my perspective, should be to build an organization that can contend for a Cup for years to come. That means playing the youngsters to give them the experience to compete in the future. With Senyshyn, McAvoy, Carlo, Zboril among others, on the horizon, this team can become a powerhouse, assuming some of them develop as expected.

Trading young assets now to squeeze into the playoffs this season is not the way to build for the future. Patientia virtutis est.

No top flight forward talent in the pipeline in my opinion. With Bergeron Marchand backes krejci, Pastrnak that might be all the offense they need, if mcavoy, Carlo, zboril pan out as top 4 dmen. But I'm down on senyshyn even though he probably wasn't in game shape in camp. I'm down on Debrusk as a top 6 player. I think they will both be complimentary players at best. Senyshyn as a 4th line speedster that puts up 10-15 goals a year. Debrusk as an energy 3rd liner who maybe tops out at 20 or so goals. No elite forwards in the system. Except maybe vatrano who I think can be a 30 goal guy. Lots of complimentary forwards though which is important in rounding out a Stanley cup roster. But the years after Marchand and bergerons prime (still long way off), nothing yet to replace the current big guns on this team in their late 20s/early 30s

Torontobruinsfan

Jun 28, 2010
Oshawa, ON
No top flight forward talent in the pipeline in my opinion. With Bergeron Marchand backes krejci, Pastrnak that might be all the offense they need, if mcavoy, Carlo, zboril pan out as top 4 dmen. But I'm down on senyshyn even though he probably wasn't in game shape in camp. I'm down on Debrusk as a top 6 player. I think they will both be complimentary players at best. Senyshyn as a 4th line speedster that puts up 10-15 goals a year. Debrusk as an energy 3rd liner who maybe tops out at 20 or so goals. No elite forwards in the system. Except maybe vatrano who I think can be a 30 goal guy. Lots of complimentary forwards though which is important in rounding out a Stanley cup roster. But the years after Marchand and bergerons prime (still long way off), nothing yet to replace the current big guns on this team in their late 20s/early 30s

Seriously after a cup of coffee at the NHL level you're ready to write of two of our best forward prospects?! Senyshyn looks to be a top 6 sniper, possibly 1st line. While Debrusk is more than an energy 3rd liner. I see him developing into a more skilled and higher IQ player than Beleskey. Next camp Senyshyn will be a standout after he obliterates the OHL this year, while Debrusk (not sure he's eligible for Providence) needs some time with Prov so he can get more used to the faster pace of the pro game.

BluesTraveler

May 25, 2016
So who would you suggest?

Is there really that big of a gap between perpetual healthy scratch Randell and "middle 6 AHL guy" in Schaller?

Perhaps you would like to see Seth Griffith playing his off-wing on the 4th line?

How about Rinaldo? He can play LW and kill penalties.

Well in my perfect world the Bruins wouldn't bother with a "tough" fourth line, and we'd have a situation where Griffith could play and succeed.

Anyway, Randell brings the same to the table as Schaller, i.e. nothing. I just don't see the point going out and signing a guy like Schaller when any of Hargrove/Cave/Hickman can probably come up to the NHL and score 1 goal every 20 games and throw a few hits, so why bother with Schaller

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Heinen? Donato?

Call me crazy, but I'm of the opinion that it's a little premature to write off DeBrusk and Senyshyn as potential Top 6 F's at the age of 20. Particularly when the latter is coming off a bout with mono and an appendectomy.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Heinen? Donato?

Call me crazy, but I'm of the opinion that it's a little premature to write off DeBrusk and Senyshyn as potential Top 6 F's at the age of 20. Particularly when the latter is coming off a bout with mono and an appendectomy.

At 20? Heck even before their 20th birthday.

I definitely think Debrusk has done enough to give hope he can be at least a second line player in the NHL.

Senyshyn is still a complete open book, no idea what he will become

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Heinen? Donato?

I'm just going with the eye test. Neither look like top 6 guys. Debrusk maybe fringe. Still can be a good player. 35-45 points or so. Senyshyn. Eh. He scored a ton in junior but I think he's one of those guys that's just faster than everybody else and can't do much else. Scores a bunch going wide and beating terrible goalies with average shots. His hands are overrated, he turns future cvs employees into turnstiles but NHL caliber d prospects can shut him down. Very down on senyshyn. Like his speed though for a 4th line penalty killer/forechecker if he overhauls his game to be that, he'll be a valuable piece. 10-15 goal ceiling, 25 points. Solid contributer.

And I'm going to do it even though I'll get in trouble with the masses..anyone else see Kyle Connors goal short side in the preseason? Filthy shot. I know people wonder why he continually gets brought up when he's not a Bruins guy, but the fact is, at the time of the draft, most experts, teams and fans expected him to be a bruin. And his career next to senyshyns should be compared when evaluating don sweeneys draft. Right now. It's edge winnipeg

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Thank you for those highlights . It was disappointing the game wasn't on NHL TV last night .

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Couple thoughts:

-Rask was very bad. Especially on goal 1 and 4. If that's how he plays this year, this team has no chance. He has to play up to his salary.

-I never liked Pasta with Bergy+Marchand and yesterday was the same. Pasta need to play with a pass first C like Krejci or Spooner.

-Liked Ehrhoff. Big shot. Skates well. Give him a contract.

-The Krejci line dominated the play. Best line. Liked the Beleskey-Czarnik-Hayes line too and Debrusk showed some flash but he needs time in the AHL. Bergy line was the worst.

-Would have liked to see Heinen. Too bad he wasn't playing...

1 more week till season starts! Here we go Bruins!

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I'm just going with the eye test. Neither look like top 6 guys. Debrusk maybe fringe. Still can be a good player. 35-45 points or so. Senyshyn. Eh. He scored a ton in junior but I think he's one of those guys that's just faster than everybody else and can't do much else. Scores a bunch going wide and beating terrible goalies with average shots. His hands are overrated, he turns future cvs employees into turnstiles but NHL caliber d prospects can shut him down. Very down on senyshyn. Like his speed though for a 4th line penalty killer/forechecker if he overhauls his game to be that, he'll be a valuable piece. 10-15 goal ceiling, 25 points. Solid contributer.

And I'm going to do it even though I'll get in trouble with the masses..anyone else see Kyle Connors goal short side in the preseason? Filthy shot. I know people wonder why he continually gets brought up when he's not a Bruins guy, but the fact is, at the time of the draft, most experts, teams and fans expected him to be a bruin. And his career next to senyshyns should be compared when evaluating don sweeneys draft. Right now. It's edge winnipeg

Did you see the goal Darrin McCartey scored in the Cuo finals many years ago? Juked multiple defenders to score a highlight real goal.

Yeah. That McCartey who spent most of his career punching people in the face when on the ice for 11 minutes per game.

Relax on Connors dude.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well in my perfect world the Bruins wouldn't bother with a "tough" fourth line, and we'd have a situation where Griffith could play and succeed.

Anyway, Randell brings the same to the table as Schaller, i.e. nothing. I just don't see the point going out and signing a guy like Schaller when any of Hargrove/Cave/Hickman can probably come up to the NHL and score 1 goal every 20 games and throw a few hits, so why bother with Schaller

I'm not against a so called "skill-guy" on the 4th line either.

I don't see Griffith as an NHL caliber player to be honest. Classic tweener.

I'm not a huge Schaller fan either, but once you get down to that 12th/13th forward spot on this team, your pickings start to become slim unless they want to go with a 1st-year pro like Debrusk or Kuraly.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I'm the absolute opposite. They get pushed around enough as it is, why soften up more? Ideally, my 4th line has a guy who can bang, a guy who can kill penalties and a guy who can chip in.

Randell has a good shot, is physical and will drop the gloves. I know most people have changed their tune on having a physical team and want them to look like the Carolina Hurricanes, but i don't.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

To be perfectly blunt, I take everything you say about both DeBrusk and Senyshyn with an extra large grain of salt. You were down on those picks from the start because Barzal and Connor were there. I would guess that Senyshyn could go back to junior and score 60 and you would find some way to come out unimpressed.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Personally, I liked a lot of what I saw...

Spooner-Krejci-Backes was very, very strong. Spooner was looking to shoot which is new.

Bergeron and Marchand weren't all-in on this one and cost the B's a goal, but that line still made some good plays and had some *almost moments with Pastrnak. I don't think we need to pull the plug yet.

I thought Czarnik was very good. Fast, feisty, creative, determined.

I thought Hayes played well. He had a big hit, a breakaway... all good things. Really hoping Heinen can match Czarnik's play and force Hayes to the 4th line though, that's where I think he can best serve this team.

I thought all of Krug, Ehrhoff and Colin Miller were good. Ehrhoff in particular might have been the best D on the ice. He certainly is the most poised on breakouts.

Chara had ups and downs. Knocked down easy, missed some assignments and made that awful pass on the game winner, but on the flip side, he took away space, guarded against second shots and moved the puck reasonably well other than that glaring turnover.

McQuaid was also up and down. Looked like he was trying to be more active, but fell all over himself on the game winner.

I'd give Rask a C+. I wouldn't say he let in any softies but I also would have liked to see him stop that Petry shot from the top of the circle. Maybe like Bergeron, Marchand and Chara, they're emotional tanks are on empty... Hoping for a consistent B+ to A performance from our $7m goalie this season. Can't make the playoffs without it.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
To be perfectly blunt, I take everything you say about both DeBrusk and Senyshyn with an extra large grain of salt. You were down on those picks from the start because Barzal and Connor were there. I would guess that Senyshyn could go back to junior and score 60 and you would find some way to come out unimpressed.

I dislike the disdain for draft picks that are reaches. reaches are all relative. a reach to analyst X is a steal to scout Y. I like everything i hear about the kid. big, fast, physical. so he's "rated" in the 40s. In 10 years no one cares. does anyone remember where bergeron was rated? subban? of course not. It's about who pans out and who doesn't. If senyshyn turns out a better player than the "highly rated" guys, i won't be surprised. If he busts, I won't be surprised. But i will kill the bruins for it.

The first thing I said about senyshyn when he was drafted. Hardly negative. He hasn't busted yet but I've seen the higher rated guys light it up this preseason while senyshyn was underwhelming. And not even on the ice for this game against Montreal. He still could turn out to be a top 6 guy. I'm just saying from what I see, I can't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad