GDT: 10/30/17 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Florida

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Not the best defensive showing but I won't complain when we score 8 :laugh:

Exactly Vasi was concerning but when ya put 8 in there net your not gonna lose many. This team is as good offensively at 4.08 gpg one has to think it will fall off some but 3.5 is realistic and would have lead the league last year. The thing I was glad to see was every time Florida scored our guys answered in pretty short fasion. And any win over the Panters is sweet.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Vasi's numbers took a bit of a hit last night, but he's still at .927 S% and 2.46 GAA. I expect his S% to drop down to about .920 and his GAA to hover around 2.30 by year end.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I don't even think Brown should be in the lineup at all, let alone with Killer and Johnson.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I don't even think Brown should be in the lineup at all, let alone with Killer and Johnson.

This is about the best I've seen Brown play since his 5 game audition right out of college. Still would rather run 11-7 and get Koekkoek some ice time.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I thought he's looked really good the past few games he's been in. Looks fast out there, is digging out pucks and getting them on the sticks of the skill guys.

If he keeps up this level of play I'd be happy if he stayed up.

Re: KK - I mean... I'm pretty done with him at this point. I'd probably *rather* move Sustr because if an injury happens on the right side I think Cernak is a better option than the guys on the left (but will defer to the guys who follow Syracuse more closely there), but if we were to trade Koekkoek it wouldn't register more than a "hmm... interesting" from me.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I thought he's looked really good the past few games he's been in. Looks fast out there, is digging out pucks and getting them on the sticks of the skill guys.

If he keeps up this level of play I'd be happy if he stayed up.

Re: KK - I mean... I'm pretty done with him at this point. I'd probably *rather* move Sustr because if an injury happens on the right side I think Cernak is a better option than the guys on the left (but will defer to the guys who follow Syracuse more closely there), but if we were to trade Koekkoek it wouldn't register more than a "hmm... interesting" from me.

His career is probably screwed by this point. Feel he just never got a fair shake at it. Did his time in juniors and more than his share of time in Syracuse just to come up and ride pine. Feel bad for the guy because there have been stretches of time where he flashed, just didn't really get the chance to build on it whenever it happened.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
His career is probably screwed by this point. Feel he just never got a fair shake at it. Did his time in juniors and more than his share of time in Syracuse just to come up and ride pine. Feel bad for the guy because there have been stretches of time where he flashed, just didn't really get the chance to build on it whenever it happened.
I actually disagree - I think he's been used fine. He got 23 games last season and outside of the first couple games he did nothing with it, and eventually just got outplayed by guys behind him.

Reminds me a lot of Barberio. Great skater, but doesn't seem to know where to skate and sometimes just does it to do it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Brown's had a really good couple of games by his standards. Got robbed in close against Anaheim, but Kunitz cleaned it up, and the third line actually had some decent possession last game, with him on RW.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Brown's had a really good couple of games by his standards. Got robbed in close against Anaheim, but Kunitz cleaned it up, and the third line actually had some decent possession last game, with him on RW.

Brown's brought high energy since he's been dressed, just gotta recharge him for a couple games now and then. Luckily we have the luxury of that.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Brown's looked better the past few games than he has in ages. More energized and engaged, at the least. If that doesn't change, I'm fine with him in the lineup on nights when we run 4 full lines. I still prefer Dumont alongside Cally and Kunitz with Paquette out.

That being said, Brown's still the player he is. The things he's not good at aren't trivial things, and they're unlikely to change. I have a hard time believing that one of the Syracuse guys wouldn't blossom on the third line if granted the same commited opportunity to put it together at the NHL level that Brown's been given. That's the head-scratcher.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Hedman's game last night was one of the worst he's played in years.
Was it his fault though? Should he have kept a better eye on the rolling pucks?

Edit: to be clear, those are serious questions. They mentioned several times the puck rolled on him

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Was it his fault though? Should he have kept a better eye on the rolling pucks?

Edit: to be clear, those are serious questions. They mentioned several times the puck rolled on him
Yeah - that's on him. Controlling pucks is a big part of his job. And rolling pucks doesn't explain some of his poor coverage.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Brown has an issue I have seen in a number of players. He can skate fast but lacks control at full speed his shot and passing while skating is below average. I do like the guy is tough as nails but there are others that could add more to the team than he brings. If he makes it until Christmas I will be surprised I fully expect he will be sent down or just waived. He is a 4th liner nothing more and they are a dime a dozen.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Brown has an issue I have seen in a number of players. He can skate fast but lacks control at full speed his shot and passing while skating is below average. I do like the guy is tough as nails but there are others that could add more to the team than he brings. If he makes it until Christmas I will be surprised I fully expect he will be sent down or just waived. He is a 4th liner nothing more and they are a dime a dozen.
Pretty much. Even on the fourth line, needing an extra split second to settle the puck before a shot or pass is one of those little things that makes a huge difference and typically separates an AHLer from an NHLer. Having to think about doing something versus being able to do it reflexively. I'm strictly talking about the fundamentals here. Brown always kind of stradles that line from play to play. I'm not even necessarily saying we should get rid of him, I just think he should be constantly evaluated against guys like Erne. I'm thinking Brown's one-way deal is the real logjammer.

He's looked better this year, I don't want to take that away from him.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Yeah - that's on him. Controlling pucks is a big part of his job. And rolling pucks doesn't explain some of his poor coverage.
Am I imagining Hedman usually looking a little shaky early in the season? It seems familiar to me, to the point that I'm not even paying attention to it. Doesn't he do this every year at some point early in the season? I'm definitely not worried about him (as I'm guessing you and most everyone here aren't really worried about him).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad