GDT: 10/3 6pm Sharks @ Ducks - Final Preseason Game

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
http://gfycat.com/RipeGoodGopher

Definitely a head shot, unfortunately.

As Torres is not a repeat offender, five games?

Still can't tell if the head movement is from the initial hit/jolt on the shoulder or directly on the head. If it was direct, I just don't think he would have been alright. It looks like follow through to me.

I don't get all this outrage - what about an even later hit that Perry did on (can't remember - Nieto?) during their game at SAP? Don't know if it was televised or not but he did get a penalty for it. Basically tracked someone down from BEHIND - so it was absolutely blindsiding him - and hit the guy after the puck was long gone (dumped in I believe) as he went to go for a line change.

To me, this is clearly a rep call at its finest - which Raffi will need to be aware of moving forward. To me, I'm fine with it. He'll get a suspension, it will allow him to heal and get ready more. He may play 30-50 games this year, and I hope he goes all out in between his knee flaring up and his suspensions :sarcasm::naughty:

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Still can't tell if the head movement is from the initial hit/jolt on the shoulder or directly on the head. If it was direct, I just don't think he would have been alright. It looks like follow through to me.
It is just straight for the head. Luckily I didn't trade for Silfverberg in fantasy...

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
They are.

It's not even worth arguing about. The slo-mo gif is very clear.

sorry, no it is not very clear. it is blurry as **** and torres' jersey is the same color as the ice so you can't see what's going on.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think it may or may not be a head shot. It's clearly one of them but I'm not particularly sure either way. I know for certain that Torres hit something on Silfverberg's body though.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
i have a question ... when you shoulder check, are you supposed to push out your shoulder and upper arm like that? i know you aren't supposed to push out the elbow, but I would think that thrusting the shoulder and upper arm out is good form. i certainly don't think you would pull it away from the target. but i don't know for sure. anyone?

The McMafia

Sep 2, 2011
San Diego, CA
I think there was head contact on the hit but it A) didn't look like the elbow was extended and B) didn't look like Silfverberg's head took the majority of the contact. Silfverberg turned and slowed up a half second before Torres came in to make contact which rotated his body and exposed his right side.

3-5 game suspension, probably.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
sorry, no it is not very clear. it is blurry as **** and torres' jersey is the same color as the ice so you can't see what's going on.

Exactly. Not trying to argue - just being objective. It isn't so cut and dry. I cannot tell if the head movement is a result of a direct hit or secondary hit/follow through or even just from the impact itself.

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
You can call it blurry or unclear, but it really isn't. You can disagree, sure, but that's a clear head shot. Just so when the five game suspension is declared, there's no need to call injustice.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
It was a dirty hit, he deserves whatever suspension is coming. No idea if it was intended, but the end result is pretty clear.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
yeah, that's gonna be a 5 gamer for Torres, might even be as high as 10.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
Anyone else wish there was a Ducks fan there the day Kennedy was assassinated, the Lindbergh baby was kidnapped, or when MA 370 disappeared?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Did Stalock suck or was he let down by an inexperience defense?

Regardless, the Sharks' goalie depth chart appears to be needing some action. I hope Robinson develops well, but hockey analysts are going to point this out if they have not already.

Who's the goalie scout of the Sharks? I have to say if that person has been on the job from Niemi and on, he needs to improve.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I see a hit to the shoulder which jerks his head. If he hit the guys head directly going in as fast as he was I'm pretty sure he isn't getting back up right away.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Last I am going to say on the topic because I know how these things end up, but that is clearly a hit to the head and highly consistent with what they have been punishing. Imagine Corry Perry did that to one of our players, we'd be pissed.

He's going to get a suspension, and he absolutely deserves one.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
When those east-west hits usually hit a head, it always seems like there's more of force at the head that causes a very torquing motion throughout. like with the cooke-savard hit or Thornton on Perron

I'm gonna say the head shot here was more incidental.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Last I am going to say on the topic because I know how these things end up, but that is clearly a hit to the head and highly consistent with what they have been punishing. Imagine Corry Perry did that to one of our players, we'd be pissed.

He's going to get a suspension, and he absolutely deserves one.

Agree entirely. It looks to me like a shoulder to the face. Very disappointed in Raffi. He needs to quit these east-west sideswiper hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad