GDT: 10/3 6pm Sharks @ Ducks - Final Preseason Game

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Torres was sending a message that the Sharks are not going to be pushed around this season like last season. It seemed to start with that 3-0 failure with the Kings and quite literally with Martinez pushing Niemi with the puck into the goal.

But enough of Torres, what about the goalie situation?

I'd say the backup aspect is crap, and the Sharks will not make the playoffs if M. Jones goes down with an injury. I cannot see either Stalock or Griess being relied upon daily and making the 1st round.

Sharks don't have a true backup, but they never had a true starter anyway.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
what about the goalie situation?

I'd say the backup aspect is crap, and the Sharks will not make the playoffs if M. Jones goes down with an injury. I cannot see either Stalock or Griess being relied upon daily and making the 1st round.

It's hard to tell who's fault anything was in a game we never saw

Stalock could have been terrible, or it could have been that our best defensemen was Brenden Dillon

I'm also pretty concerned about the goaltending situation past Jones, but I wouldn't let last night flavor my worry too much

Also, Griess is an Islander

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
If we're talking strictly about his tenure as a Shark, I'd argue Raffi has deserved LESS than one of his suspensions

Unless I'm forgetting something, this is his second as a Shark

1. Stoll

Undeserved, not to mention basically illegal

There is no precedent to suspend a player for a variable number of games, and they haven't done it since

2. Silferberg

Also believe it's undeserved, but it's gonna happen

Am I missing one?

I know Torres has a bad reputation that he definitely earned, but I haven't seen him throw a truly suspendable hit since Hossa, and I thought even that one was overblown, again due to reputation

Good thought. It would be nice if a repeat offender could be traded and get a fresh start with the League but its not the way it works. Also, in this case, consider he hasn't really played that many games as a Shark.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
Ok he was not coming off the bench but the puck was not at the guys feet. It looked like intent to injure and I just saw the vedio again.

The puck was at the guys feet. He was fumbling it so a legal hit in time wouldn't be an issue. Its just not a North South hit. I couldn't see the game, but on the other side of things, the announcers said both Perry and Kessler made similar hits and they were glad someone was sticking up for his teammates .... then they saw the replay and weren't so defending of the play.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
http://gfycat.com/RipeGoodGopher

It's hard to decipher the actual timing because the genius who made this gif slows it down just prior to contact, but

Silferberg is in the act of passing the puck off as Torres is engaging the hit, these actions come immediately one after the other

Silferberg IS eligible to be checked in this timeframe

He takes three strong strides to set up for the hit, and then glides an equal distance into the hit, so I'd argue this wasn't even charging

But it was Torres; San Jose #13, 5 minute major and a game misconduct

Repeat offender even though he's not, suspended for x+1 games

Outside of the timing being OK on the play relative to the hit, I might add this hit was eerily similar to the hit Torres made on Michalek years ago. It's really not a play that should be condoned. He can make clean north south hits, use his speed and make a difference for the Sharks. He isn't going to make a difference getting suspended for a hit in a preseason game.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It wasn't a dirty hit, it's just a high-risk, low reward hit. Yeah, you might get the guy square on the shoulder or body and put him on his ass, but more often than not, you make contact with the head. Torres won't be getting any benefit of the doubt from the nhl, either. We'll continue to see worse hits get nothing to minimal punishment during the season. This time of the year is when the league sets it's examples, and they have an easy target with a huge bullseye who will get 0 empathy from the fans around the league.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I slow mo'd the video in the OP on the main page, and IMO it is very similar to the Stoll hit. The shoulder was the initial POC but the head was principal. The head moved more and more abruptly than the shoulderss. 5 games.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
If you review the "big" hits from last year most had head contact. The stachute of head contact doesn't matter since none of them were even a minor penalty.

Only thing that could be "illegal" is the side contact.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Torres was sending a message that the Sharks are not going to be pushed around this season like last season. It seemed to start with that 3-0 failure with the Kings and quite literally with Martinez pushing Niemi with the puck into the goal.

But enough of Torres, what about the goalie situation?

Your point is well taken, but I think you mean Grosenick, not Greiss.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I really just don't like how it looks like his upper arm extends at the last second and makes contact. Torres is such a valuable player because he walks the line, but he walks it a little too finely and often crosses it, imo.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hit looks like shoulder-to-the-head, and Silferberg's stance at the time is as much responsible for that as Torres is (it's not like Raffi launched way upward to pop him. Silferberg is hunched slightly, enough for shoulder-to-head alignment). It's a borderline hit just in terms of the mechanics of contact. one that's probably just on the good side of hte line a few years ago and the bad side now.

My bigger concern is that he came damn near 3/4 of teh way across the ice seemingly solely to deliver that hit. There looked like zero intent to make a hockey play there before he initiated the hit. No need to headhunt like that, especially with Raffi's rep.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
One thing's for sure, raffi needs to take lessons at the brent burns asschecking clinic.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
In person hearing tomorrow. He waived his right to be there. Lengthy suspension probs.

Any bets?

I'm gonna guess 41 just cuz

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
In person hearing tomorrow. He waived his right to be there. Lengthy suspension probs.

Any bets?

I'm gonna guess 41 just cuz

He's either getting 10 games to give him a max legal suspension

Or they throw out the rulebook and give him 25+ games since because Raffi Torres

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
Raffi is probably getting 10. As he should. It was a stupid play, especially in a meaningless preseason game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad