GDT: 10/28 spooky pre-halloween gdt the captain is back edition

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Tarheel, kev's been saying that for five years, albeit in different ways. Broken clock, etc.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
readImage

That's right, this meme doesn't even need words at this point.

But seriously, have things ever been this bad? I was there in '03 and '04, and again when the '09-'10 season got off to its disastrous start. But this feels worse.

I dunno. It doesn't feel worse to me, but maybe that's because I can afford higher quality alcohol now. Plus I had no hopes for this team: counting too much on Sekera and Khudobin to not regress to the mean, hoping for no major injuries (Curse of Pete Friesen), very little overall offensive talent, very little overall blueline talent, and hit-or-miss rookies all equaled VERY BAD NEWS to me. And now all these injuries have put us in this Ansonian Dystopia we feared but honestly probably expected to come.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
If the hype around McDavid is true, he'll be starting in the top 6 of wherever he ends up. Unless he/his folks are Lindros-level picky about where he goes, it shouldn't be a big deal... knock on wood

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
If we land McDavid, attendance next year and beyond will not be a problem.

I said this before. even if they get a top 2 pick how will that change much for this organization? sure people come to see for a while but then what? they need a hell of a lot more than one potential super star. and yeah, there is no guarantee they sign with the Hurricanes.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
what crosby level player would ever want to play here? To what end? These guys have careers to think about.... If I was was epic level talent, I certainly wouldnt want to get shackled with playing for this bush organization.

ETA - Id say at this point - Skinner, Murphy, Lindholm and Faulk should be the only safe players currently on the roster.

But I know nothing other than how angry I am at the failure of this organization, so.....

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
does.not.compute.

trade the only player that puts butts in the seats and the only player that is a consistent threat to score on the roster?:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

A checklist to dealing with the post you reference:

1. Consider the source.
2. Also consider that source advocates the asinine idea of not having any player under 6'1" on the roster.
3. Consider that no team, including the defending Cup champion Kings or even the "big bad Bruins" have such a roster.
4. Also consider that means that said source would not have drafted Sidney Crosby solely based on his height.
5. Write off said source and give his post the attention it deserves (i.e. none).
6. Have a pleasant day and move on.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I am completely numb, in fact almost giddy, to how bad we are.

It's refreshing to have absolutely zero illusions about this team. In seasons past, they would have a couple of wins by now that would keep alive the false hope of a turnaround.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The push to move Eric, I think is based on how these things usually go with guys like him approaching free agency. But with his ties to the area, I don't think we're looking at a Florida/Atlanta trade him or lose him situation.

I'm not sure the path to success is dumping your best player, and replacing him with someone else, if keeping your best player, and adding another best player is on the table.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I just dont think its that bad guys. Nothing was going to change because estaal was going to play his first game. Between injuries, rookies, new coach, new system and the funk we're in this is just the lay of the land. Even healthy I think we were gonna be a lower end team. This funk is going to pass, we're gonna get on a roll and end up with a pick in the 5-12 range. If this run goes on long enough maybe we get the third spot. We've got way more talent than buffalo, we wont get number one without the lottery. This isn't the worst thing to happen to this team, and this team isn't this bad. We've gone on losing stretches worse than this, where we played worse than this.

After that ********* interview with pk last season, doesn't this is some way feel satisfying? In this sick kind of way I hope we go 0-20, just to hammer home where we really are in terms of talent and depth. Im sure pk thinks this ship is gonna turn around when jstaal comes back...

PS.. No one is going to get traded until everyone is back healthy and we still suck. So hopes of the rebuild starting now I think are way premature.

2 12 oz Drinks

Or Less
Nov 1, 2011
United States
After that ********* interview with pk last season, doesn't this is some way feel satisfying? In this sick kind of way I hope we go 0-20, just to hammer home where we really are in terms of talent and depth. Im sure pk thinks this ship is gonna turn around when jstaal comes back...

But I thought our record was because I didn't buy season tickets? :sarcasm:

That would honestly be fantastic at this point. I would love nothing more than to see him go off the rails again about how this is our fault so maybe someone will finally figure out that he has lost it and get him to sell his share. I know we have a lot of problems, but this would be a bright spot for the entire year.

Also, I do realize that people don't want to sign here, but realistically speaking, how often does a 1-2 draft pick not sign. If they can get people like Ekblad to sign in Florida, people will sign here. These guys want a chance to play a lot and they will certainly get time on bad teams

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
So you're saying that it was just a coincidence that our offseason moves went from pursuing Parise, Jordan Staal, Rick Nash, etc to Brad Malone and Tim Gleason at the same time Francis took over?

They didn't just pursue high priced players. They actually acquired them. Starting in 2012-13, between Jordan, Semin, Skinner's raise (which was signed that offseason but didn't start until the next year), Tlusty's raise (tripled his salary), and Eric's escalating contract (+2m from 2011-12 to now), they actually tacked on quite a bit of money. Their first cut in payroll didn't happen until Jokinen was forced out, who went on to have a great year beside Malkin. Everyone else either hung around for a long time (Ruutu) or were dealt for pretty much equal money (Gleason).

There was a time not too long ago when $51 million was considered a hefty payroll for this team. They're currently sit at a $68.9 million cap hit. I fully believe that if Ward were somehow moved for nothing they'd just pocket the money, but there simply isn't room to negotiate at the moment.

This team is in trouble financially because of Ward, Liles, Harrison, and Gleason. Together, they make $13.55 million to do...what exactly? Eric and Semin combined to make $16.25 and ended last year with a combined 100 points, and should top that again. Ideally, maybe they're even closer to 125. Can we even count on the first group of players for 125 games?

The push to move Eric, I think is based on how these things usually go with guys like him approaching free agency. But with his ties to the area, I don't think we're looking at a Florida/Atlanta trade him or lose him situation.

I'm not sure the path to success is dumping your best player, and replacing him with someone else, if keeping your best player, and adding another best player is on the table.

Bringing the point home, imagine if Francis can miraculously dump those contracts, sign a $5m defenseman, keep Tlusty and Sekera with the rest, and somehow still draft high?

Skinner // Eric // Lindholm
Tlusty // Jordan // Semin
Gerbe // McEichel // Rask
McClement // Nash // Dwyer

Sekera // Faulk
Someone // Murphy
Hainsey // Bellemore
Fleury

Khudobin
McBackup

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I can't complain about Gleason this year. He's getting paid appropriately for what he brings, he isn't nearly as bad as he was and he's making a pretty small salary. Especially compared to his old one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad