GDT: 10/27/16 - Wild @ Sabres - 6 PM CT / 2 AM Finland - FS-N

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He really hasn't had too much time on the ice, and his offensive opportunities have been limited. He seems to be wise beyond his years when it comes to his defensive play. Also seems to be more than a match for the physicality of the NHL.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We apparently lead the league in goals.

I think we have played more games than most though.

We're one of 9 teams to have played 8 games, so it's not like it's that lopsided.

7 more goals than the Blues who have played just has many games.

10 more goals than the Stars who have played just 1 less game.

Looks like Montreal actually has the most, with 29 goals - 1 more than us, same amount of games.

8 more goals than Pittsburgh, same amount of games.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
He reminds me a lot of young Kaptain. Has looked good, does the little things right, good wheels but his skating technique seems awkward at times. And, as we saw tonight, an accurate shot - although he isn't known for that quality so much, so I would't expect a sniper based on a very small sample size.

Has been decent at the dot too, no?

At this stage, let him swim since it seems the currents don't bother Oak. Granted, I still think 1st line minutes and PP time in another league like AHL or SHL would do him more good than harm. But... he is producing at the highest level, and doesn't really look out of place at all - quite the contrary.

We'll see how it works out from here. It's clear that he does need to fill out that body a little as well as work on his skating. However, he is just 19, there's plenty of time.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't feel like he's playing hard minutes. But he's doing all the "little things" coaches talk about when he's out there.

Finishes checks, even if he's not the most physical guy. Back-checks like a beast (seriously, I don't think I've seen him coast on one back-check since he started with us. He is ALWAYS moving his feet). Board play seems solid. Stick in the passing lanes.

I'm getting the impression that his vision is exceptional. It's really early, but he seems to be one of those "right place at the right time" sort of players. I really need to temper my hype, both because it's very early and a very small sample size. And I sincerely doubt he's going to be a point/game player. But, if he can keep this up, and most importantly, keep it up against better lines when he's ready? I think he could be a very good player, even if his point totals slow.

His goal tonight was more than right place right time. Goes through a stick lift/check/slash, and around a d-man, and snipes a wrister.

I'm waiting to see how he does against good NHL teams/players (Bos/Buf aren't good and backup/AHL goalies). Stars should be a good measuring stick to see how he plays. Pit and Philly (I think) games are at the end of his 9 game tryout, he plays well against them then it'll be really hard to send him away.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I'm thinking about dropping Ward for Zucker in my points only pool. I see Zucker has been picking up a few points here and there. Can he hit 35-40?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm thinking about dropping Ward for Zucker in my points only pool. I see Zucker has been picking up a few points here and there. Can he hit 35-40?

I don't think so if hes on the 3/4 lines with no PP time, unless he starts putting his breakaway in the back of the net more consistently.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Darn. Just a quick start then?

He's not getting prime minutes, and he's always been a streaky scorer. That's really just what he is at this point in his career. He'll have a good couple games here or there, and then just disappear for the next few.

His goal tonight was more than right place right time. Goes through a stick lift/check/slash, and around a d-man, and snipes a wrister.

I'm waiting to see how he does against good NHL teams/players (Bos/Buf aren't good and backup/AHL goalies). Stars should be a good measuring stick to see how he plays. Pit and Philly (I think) games are at the end of his 9 game tryout, he plays well against them then it'll be really hard to send him away.

I agree about the goal tonight, but it's one goal in a very young career. It's way too early (for me, anyway?) to assume that that kind of play will continue. And like you're saying, it was against Buffalo. They aren't exactly known for their defensive prowess at this point.

That said, he's a hard worker who's checking a lot of boxes for me. I'm going to enjoy watching him play as long as I can.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Darn. Just a quick start then?

He's at ~11min/game. The 3p game against Boston's AHL goalie helps his stats a lot. He's had a halfdozen good breakaways and 1 goal to show from them.

Zucker started out white hot last year, then went ice cold the rest of the year. I'd like to say yes he'll be a 20/20 player for the season, but he has a long way (consistency wise) to go to get there.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Caught the last period tonight. Haven't had time to watch them much so I'm glad they look good. Good to see eek playing so well

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is Ek likely to stay up after Haula returns?

We'll find out after 5 more games. :scared:

Don't see them sending him the Iowa's continued tire fire to space out his 9 game trial.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

No clue. He's good enough to improve the bottom six if he sticks, but they may want to get him to work on his skills at a lower level once his 9 games are up. I'd like to keep him up, myself...also, he is so young that he might need some help adjusting to living away from home. He needs a mentor if he hangs around...i wonder how much Leo helped out Dumba for the part of a season. Hopefully Brodin and Folin can connect with him.

At the end of the day, it's about how good of a hockey player you are, and how you can help the team. I think he is good enough, and makes the team better by being up.

I think it would be madness to stick Haula on the fourth line. He is too good for that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No clue. He's good enough to improve the bottom six if he sticks, but they may want to get him to work on his skills at a lower level once his 9 games are up. I'd like to keep him up, myself...also, he is so young that he might need some help adjusting to living away from home. He needs a mentor if he hangs around...i wonder how much Leo helped out Dumba for the part of a season. Hopefully Brodin and Folin can connect with him.

At the end of the day, it's about how good of a hockey player you are, and how you can help the team. I think he is good enough, and makes the team better by being up.

I think it would be madness to stick Haula on the fourth line. He is too good for that.

Could move Haula or JEE to 3rd line wing... JEE/Haula/Pommer(Stewie/Zucker)

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Watched the game in a condensed form after I woke up.

JEE, holy crap. That shot. I'm getting excited for that kid.
Zucker finally got that move through, does that mean he'll keep doing that backhand move for the rest of the season?
Granlund, how can you NOT bury that on the PP? Powerplay needs some work still overall. It lacks... something.
I'm somewhat concerned about Parise, as he doesn't go and try to skate by the defenders outside but just dumps.
I do like Dalpe, he's the best part of the 4th line. Don't like Pulkkinen at all.
Prosser is surprisingly un-Prosserlike. Dubnyk has been demigodlike recently.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Watched the game in a condensed form after I woke up.

JEE, holy crap. That shot. I'm getting excited for that kid.
Me too so far, smart hockey player

Zucker finally got that move through, does that mean he'll keep doing that backhand move for the rest of the season?
Hope he starts trying something else, he's 1 for # with it so far this season. A quick snipe and forehand move added to his toolbox could make goalies start guessing.

Granlund, how can you NOT bury that on the PP? Powerplay needs some work still overall. It lacks... something.
At least he shot it... PP seems to lack movement, I was jealous of the Sabres first PP.

I'm somewhat concerned about Parise, as he doesn't go and try to skate by the defenders outside but just dumps.
I think some is by design/system. Some is to get a line change: dump, chase, forecheck while the rest of the team gets a change.

I do like Dalpe, he's the best part of the 4th line.
Me too, he's a fine 4C (don't see him as anything else): about even on FOs, has a physical side, slight scoring ability, not a defensive liability.

Don't like Pulkkinen at all.
I like him. He does some little things that get overlooked (imo): decent forecheck (even if it's to eat the extra few seconds off the clock), carries the puck into the zone, good hands, better than I thought along the boards. He doesn't use his quick wrist shot much (his slapper takes a long time to wind up). He's not playing with high skill players (usually), and can't carry a line (still a decent support player). I like him better than anyone from the 4th line last year.

Prosser is surprisingly un-Prosserlike.
His last two games I wasn't scared to see him on the ice after the first couple of shifts. Dumba/Prosser pair really scared me when I first saw it. Solid couple of games for Prosser, can't ask for more than that from him.

Dubnyk has been demigodlike recently.

He's been good the last couple of games, other than a couple long stretches he hasn't had hard time. He came up big when it was needed. Hope BB rides the hot hand for a bit. Don't see the need to play Kemps (maybe Dallas, but that sounds like a loss if Kemps starts) for at least a couple of weeks the way the schedule works out.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Points, points, points baby!

JEE and Dubnyk did it again, amazing! And Zucker's breakaway goal felt good for sure.

All things considered, wasn't the prettiest game. Especially the 2nd period was ugly. But it was a tired team in the end of road trip, so we'll take that. Although were lucky to meet two vulnerable teams in the end.

Great news that Dub is looking rock solid. Two shutouts and important wins. I may have had some doubts before the season (again). Looking good at the moment.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Barring a huge cold streak, I think this means Eriksson-Ek remains with the Wild. He's clearly earning his minutes and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad