GDT: 10/27/13 "Governor's Pardon" Lightning @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Bjugs needs to put on some pounds and muscle. He should have powered pass Salo easily.

He's 220 lbs. He needs more experience, but he's looked pretty good so far. Salo's not a small man either.

Markstrom now 11-23-4 in his career.

Instead of people making fun of our attendance, what we deserve is some credit for remaining fans of a franchise that does nothing to reward us for our loyalty.

And? What teams has he played on? A 30th place team and a team that looks destined for another top 10 pick. I'm not saying he can't be better, but it's a joke that you point to his record as some sort of indicator of being a bust. Playing behind this team, and his age, I think he's doing just fine. He's not a bonafide starter yet, oh well. He's only 23. Just deal with it. How were some of the other top goalies over the past several years when they were 23? Not brilliant either. Goalies take a long time.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Oh well, decent comeback. Liked Kulikovs move, had the goalie beat, just couldn't elevate the puck.. Barkov wasn't really a friend of the puck in the shootout, didn't really stick well to his blade.

He was really quick with it from forehand to backhand. Had he elevated the backhand shot, he had Lindback beat.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Not only is this the worst time for Panthers fans to be told that (whether true or not), but it is completely unacceptable from a goalie once considered the world's best prospect.

I don't care if it's the worst time.

It doesn't matter if he was once the world's best goalie prospect. Bobrovsky was a goalie most casual fans had never even heard of until the Flyers signed him. He's won a Vezina. Pekka Rinne was an 8th round pick. Prospects in general, but especially goalies, take very varied developmental paths. If Markstrom one day becomes great, or even very good, but not top 5, then we should still be happy. Do you know how hard it is to draft and develop a goalie that becomes a bonafide every day NHLer? Even Detroit who everybody praises has really only developed one in the last decade. Mrazek looks very promising, but he has not yet reached the NHL.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Not only is this the worst time for Panthers fans to be told that (whether true or not), but it is completely unacceptable from a goalie once considered the world's best prospect.

It's the worst time to be told that.

Yet It is true.

Therefore it's acceptable.

Jesus 38 games.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

In this rare instance on your views of goaltending, I happen to agree :(

His 5 hole is as predictable as Huber's decision to deke.

What the hell to do to fix this team???

Erick*

He's 220 lbs. He needs more experience, but he's looked pretty good so far. Salo's not a small man either.

And? What teams has he played on? A 30th place team and a team that looks destined for another top 10 pick. I'm not saying he can't be better, but it's a joke that you point to his record as some sort of indicator of being a bust. Playing behind this team, and his age, I think he's doing just fine. He's not a bonafide starter yet, oh well. He's only 23. Just deal with it. How were some of the other top goalies over the past several years when they were 23? Not brilliant either. Goalies take a long time.

I didn't cite Markstrom's record just to show how bad Markstrom has been. There are plenty of other stats to prove that Markstrom has been...well, not good. The record is just proof of why it's so difficult to get excited about this franchise. Fans always end up being proven wrong and looking foolish. The fanbase has been excited about Markstrom for years and yet we're still terrible. Then again, that's probably not surprising since this franchise has been terrible with other, better goalies.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

He is 23. 2 of the goals tonight were not his fault. It is not unnaceptable, it is part of the development process of goalies.

Look around the league and see at what age goalies became good. Not at 23, so stop with the ridiculous expectations.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
I didn't cite Markstrom's record just to show how bad Markstrom has been. There are plenty of other stats to prove that Markstrom has been...well, not good. The record is just proof of why it's so difficult to get excited about this franchise. Fans always end up being proven wrong and looking foolish. The fanbase has been excited about Markstrom for years and yet we're still terrible. Then again, that's probably not surprising since this franchise has been terrible with other, better goalies.

Which goes to show you that you can put Quick or Lundqvist in the Florida net and they will also struggle.

Sucks to have such a negative point of view in life and then spill it all over message boards, but whatever floats your boat.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23.

Roberto Luongo age 23.
194 GP
55 W -105 L (but Markstrom is playing behind a bad team!!!1!)
2.72 GAA
0.916 Sv%
16 SO

Not every goaltender is bad at age 23.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23. He's 23.

Roberto Luongo age 23.
194 GP
2.72 GAA
0.916 Sv%
16 SO

You're also comparing 194 GP to 38 GP. They both played behind bad teams.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
Effort! Hard work! Hustle! Energy! : What losers point at when they can't win.

Anyone can not score goals while skating around like a chicken with their head cut off. "Hustle" is supremely overrated in sports. Hustle doesn't win you the game. It can help, sure when used in the right way at the right time, but I've had it up to here with players getting a pass for being bad just because they expended a lot of energy doing it.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
You're also comparing 194 GP to 38 GP.

It's almost as if one of these players, despite being "only 23" and despite playing on a bad team was able to step in, play big minutes and put up respectable numbers. One of these players managed to inspire enough confidence that their GM didn't feel the need to go sign a 39 year old who hadn't played an NHL game in over a year to be the starter.

They both played behind bad teams.

Understatement of the year.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
It's almost as if one of these players, despite being "only 23" and despite playing on a bad team was able to step in, play big minutes and put up respectable numbers. One of these players managed to inspire enough confidence that their GM didn't feel the need to go sign a 39 year old who hadn't played an NHL game in over a year to be the starter.

Understatement of the year.

I would argue that what Luongo did with those Panther teams (who were much worse than Markstrom's) was unprecedented. It still blows my mind that he was traded away.

IMHO, Markstrom is not playing well enough to steal games. But he isn't the reason the Panthers are losing games either. He has been below average. Ultimately, this is a lost season. I'll be worried about Markstrom if doesn't improve over the course of this season.

Basically in order for Markstrom to steal games he'd have to allow either 0 or 1 goals every game, since this team can't score more than 2. This team doesn't control the puck and isn't good enough defensively to do that. Right now, only 6 Goaltenders in the league have GAA below 2.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Markstrom is a bust. Imagine that. Only the Panthers could turn a highly touted 6'6" goalie prospect, into a human sieve

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
Improving the team in front of him is much more important currently, you don't win a Stanley cup by having your goalie steal every single game thru the reg season and playoffs. You actually need a competent team in front of him. in the words of his countryman Karlsson, Markstrom too is "not a god".

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
He is 23. 2 of the goals tonight were not his fault. It is not unnaceptable, it is part of the development process of goalies.

Look around the league and see at what age goalies became good. Not at 23, so stop with the ridiculous expectations.

Hey, well I drafted a goalie in NHL 14 and he was 4.5 gold stars and 75 overall at 19 years old...he's 83 overall in his first nhl season at 20. :laugh:

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
"It's nice to get that monkey off my back but it sucks we lost it,'' Matthias said. "We played really well this homestand and it's a shame we didn't get two points in all of them. We fought back again.''

I can't believe Matthias thinks the team played "really well" during this home-stand. What the frick is going on inside that locker-room where players think the team played well considering the results? What the.. This is just crazy.

Ruston*

I can't believe Matthias thinks the team played "really well" during this home-stand. What the frick is going on inside that locker-room where players think the team played well considering the results? What the.. This is just crazy.

Many of the fans feel the same way. As long as fans keep supporting this BS with their money, what incentivebis there for Viola to change anything?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

The record is not proof of anything. W-L is a team record. The truest indicator of a goalie's worth is SV%. W-L means nothing for goalies. Chris Osgood had some of the best W-L records for years. And BTW, Markstrom's stats aren't that much worse than Thomas' stats. Are you saying Thomas has been bad too? You can have a lot of fun with stats. I'm sorry, but Markstrom has not been terrible, as you make out. He can be better right now, but for a 23 year old he's playing OK, and the main thing is he's getting experience which is very important. I think a big part of why some Panthers fans are critical is because we have such a slim margin of error. We need our goalies to be mid-90's Hasek every game in order for us to have a chance to win. If Markstrom was in Pittsburgh, Boston, or L.A., he'd be getting a lot more complements right now. Yes, he's making some mistakes right now. A 23 year old goalie making some mistakes. Imagine that. It's going to happen. That doesn't make him a bust. That's just a joke to say that right now.

How long should we wait? Right now, it's no different than having Scott Clemmensen in net.

At least until he's 25? Do you think goalies should be fully developed at 21 or something? Most goalies don't come into their own until their mid-late 20's.

Roberto Luongo age 23.
194 GP
2.72 GAA
0.916 Sv%
16 SO

So because one goalie was a star at 23, every goalie has to be? Most goalies are not great at 23. Louie was a stud. Like Haj said, his performances in his last few seasons here were truly mind-boggling, I still don't know how he did it. He was the exception, not the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad