10/23 - Kraken Home Opener. Who's going...?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I have been saying it would be delayed prior to two other delay announcements.

And you really think this one will be delayed even though we're just one week out and the NHL would have to re-schedule games etc?

That would mean we wouldn't inform the league on a weeks notice...
That's just not going to happen, especially with the relationship the Leiweke's, Bonderman etc. have with Bettman.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
And you really think this one will be delayed even though we're just one week out and the NHL would have to re-schedule games etc?

That would mean we wouldn't inform the league on a weeks notice...
That's just not going to happen, especially with the relationship the Leiweke's, Bonderman etc. have with Bettman.
I would not be surprised to hear something more concrete early next week. I am totally surprised no media has had access to the new Arena although i hear there was to be a gathering next week. I also don't know if the ice crew has ever tested their ability to get the arena ready on one days notice after a non ice event.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Thank you for this. Going to be in Seattle from 10/21-10/26. At night our plans are:

10/22 - Coldplay at CPA
10/23 - Kraken Opener
10/24 - ???
10/25 - Seahawks MNF (Sadly less excited about this now)

During the day planning to:

• Pike Place Market
  • Bainbridge Island
  • Cascades National Park (hiking)
  • Mt. Reiner Park (hiking)
  • Great breakfast/coffee/meals
  • Tailgating before each event
  • Something else...?

Of course any recommendations to add/augment those activities above would be surely welcome.

Also heard about the San Juan Islands, but between the drive/ferry might be too much to accomplish. Seems like you really need to stay there at least one night.
I'm late to the party, but I can't overstate how awesome Maple Pass Loop trail is, in Cascades National Park. Around 7 miles, nice elevation gain, wondrous views. One end is steep, the other gradual. If you want to get the steep out of the way first, then hike the loop clockwise, otherwise you'll be coming DOWN the steep which isn't my particular preference. Even the drive there (once past Marblemount) is stunning. That stretch of Highway 20 is referred to by some as the American Alps, you'll see why. Heather - Maple Pass Loop — Washington Trails Association

If you have less time, Whidbey Island/Deception Pass offers great sightseeing, a cool bluff trail overlooking the Salish Sea and a bunch of other hikes, cool old forts, neat little towns, etc. You can use the Mukilteo Ferry to access the island, or drive further north to (again) Highway 20 if you want to skip the ferry. This ferry is frequent and easy, I'd recommend taking it.

JelloPuddyPops

"Gotta support the team."
Oct 9, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I would not be surprised to hear something more concrete early next week. I am totally surprised no media has had access to the new Arena although i hear there was to be a gathering next week. I also don't know if the ice crew has ever tested their ability to get the arena ready on one days notice after a non ice event.
Well, you’re wrong.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm late to the party, but I can't overstate how awesome Maple Pass Loop trail is, in Cascades National Park. Around 7 miles, nice elevation gain, wondrous views. One end is steep, the other gradual. If you want to get the steep out of the way first, then hike the loop clockwise, otherwise you'll be coming DOWN the steep which isn't my particular preference. Even the drive there (once past Marblemount) is stunning. That stretch of Highway 20 is referred to by some as the American Alps, you'll see why. Heather - Maple Pass Loop — Washington Trails Association

If you have less time, Whidbey Island/Deception Pass offers great sightseeing, a cool bluff trail overlooking the Salish Sea and a bunch of other hikes, cool old forts, neat little towns, etc. You can use the Mukilteo Ferry to access the island, or drive further north to (again) Highway 20 if you want to skip the ferry. This ferry is frequent and easy, I'd recommend taking it.

This is awesome. Thank you very much for sharing. I believe I found this hike you're talking about already and it caught my eye. This is it correct...?

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/washington/maple-pass-trail?ref=result-card

Seems to suggest you need a "Northwest Forest Pass" to be able to hike. Is that correct and how do you get that?

Also if we're staying in downtown Seattle it looks like a 3-hour drive each way. Combined with a 4+ hour hike and needing to stop for food, that's the whole day which I guess is ok, but is it really that worth it (especially if it's cloudy/rainy)?

Also any amazing breakfast/coffee/lunch/dinner spots to get on the drive/way back?

Again thank you for this.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
This is awesome. Thank you very much for sharing. I believe I found this hike you're talking about already and it caught my eye. This is it correct...?

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/washington/maple-pass-trail?ref=result-card

Seems to suggest you need a "Northwest Forest Pass" to be able to hike. Is that correct and how do you get that?

Also if we're staying in downtown Seattle it looks like a 3-hour drive each way. Combined with a 4+ hour hike and needing to stop for food, that's the whole day which I guess is ok, but is it really that worth it (especially if it's cloudy/rainy)?

Also any amazing breakfast/coffee/lunch/dinner spots to get on the drive/way back?

Again thank you for this.
. Yep, that's the spot. You can see the steep switchbacks just above Rainy Lake. If you like to hike and want the best bang for your time budget, I think this is unbeatable. If it is raining, not so much. But anything beats driving around in King County weekend traffic in the rain. Not recommended.

Right on your drive there are two Hwy 20 spots to get the NW Forest Pass, though this time of year combined with budget restrictions, you'll probably not see a ranger at the trailhead parking lot. Better to be sure and do the right thing, check the hours to ensure they're open. The N Cascades Visitor Center near Newhalem is way cooler/more scenic. Here is a link: Visitor Centers - North Cascades National Park (U.S. National Park Service).

Food options are very limited. If you don't mind driving another 24 miles east from the trailhead, you hit the village of Mazama, and their general store has a wonderful bakery. You'll see signs for Mazama, a few hundred feet off the highway. Best baguette in WA, hands down, a bunch of other stuff too, very cool atmosphere.

If you don't want to do that drive, there are a couple diners and brew pubs once you head back (west) after hiking. Nothing noteworthy, but you'll be so hungry/thirsty it will be good! Have fun!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00