10/23 - Kraken Home Opener. Who's going...?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Hello. So a few days ago they released tickets and I was able to snag 2 for the home opener vs the Canucks. Flying out from New York and want to take it all in. Totally psyched.

Who else is going? Not exactly possible to tailgate at Seattle Center, but any pre-gaming going on?

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I am going!

Also going the the opener in Vegas

As for gameday routines and rituals, it's not easy to say since it's all new. Nobody has been to the arena yet. Things are still closed due to covid etc. I do imagine Queen Anne Beerhall will be one of the main go-to places by the arena.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I am going!

Also going the the opener in Vegas

As for gameday routines and rituals, it's not easy to say since it's all new. Nobody has been to the arena yet. Things are still closed due to covid etc. I do imagine Queen Anne Beerhall will be one of the main go-to places by the arena.

Awesome. As a Seahawks fan (going to the MNF game vs the Saints that weekend), I've been out to Seattle a few times so know it ok, but not specifically well. That Queen Anne Beerhall sounds like a great pre-game spot. Bet it will be jammed that day.

Totally psyched. Would love to hear any other recommendations you have...Including day trips from Seattle.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Totally psyched. Would love to hear any other recommendations you have...Including day trips from Seattle.
If the weather is nice and you want the iconic views of Seattle go to Kerry park, not far from the arena. I lived in W Seattle for a long time and the view across Elliott Bay is beautiful. Also worth taking a ferry ride if you're inclined.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If the weather is nice and you want the iconic views of Seattle go to Kerry park, not far from the arena. I lived in W Seattle for a long time and the view across Elliott Bay is beautiful. Also worth taking a ferry ride if you're inclined.

Thanks. Looking to get way outside the city (like where you can't even see it) into some real nature. If you have any suggestions for some "must do" hikes or towns to see no matter how far the drive.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
If you’re looking for any out of town touristy things, Leavenworth is about 2 hours away. It’s probably Oktoberfest there at that time. That’s where I’m from. Great little town.

about 2.5 hours south is Mt. St. Helens

the San Juan Islands are worth the trip. Lots to see on San Juan and Orcas islands.

Mt. rainier is worth the drive. But only if the weather is good.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
/\/\ Oktoberfest is usually the end of September & early October.

@mod, this could be useful info for a sticky "travel to Seattle" thread at some point
*Getting to Seattle
*Getting to Arena
*Around the Arena
*Around Seattle
*Day Trips

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
/\/\ Oktoberfest is usually the end of September & early October.

@mod, this could be useful info for a sticky "travel to Seattle" thread at some point
*Getting to Seattle
*Getting to Arena
*Around the Arena
*Around Seattle
*Day Trips

Oct 1st-3rd, 8th-10th and 15th-17th to be exact. I typically go there the last weekend (not for Oktoberfest, just to visit home)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
PSA: Be there earlier than you think you need to be.

I am not sure if folks in other arena's had the same issues or not but for the Oilers game (in Everett), we were in line 45 minutes before the scheduled start time but didnt make it to our seats till about 15 minutes after the scheduled time. Missed about 3-4 minutes of the game and also the pre-game stuff.

Maybe it was just Everett though but better safe than sorry.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Interestingly, at Everett I was in line for only about 15 minutes about 45minutes before game time. Entered the Southeast corner.

I dont know why but also with the Vaccine card checks, I am finding getting into AOTW/Lumen/Tmobile in the past week all faster than normal. Maybe its the extra step that makes it seem shorter through the usually long security check lines

But if you are expecting any speediness of service INSIDE the stadiums, HAHAHAHAAHAHA. Staffing shortages mean less staff to man the concessions, meaning longer lines.

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
High likelihood in CPA as well. They are advertising on TV still for positions. To spend that kind of money to fill concessions and other roles in an arena is a desperate move. Hope it all works out.

Last edited:

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
The lines at yesterday's Seahawks game were mixed. I went in about 40 minutes before kickoff rather than 30 minutes and I was at my seats in the 300s with 28 minutes to kickoff while doing the vaccine check, security check, ticket scan, get 2 beers, climb the stairs, use the bathroom and get to seats. One of the fastest I've experienced in 15+ years of going to Seahawks games. And then there's the concessions. Anything fixed had huge lines. Some of the portable kiosks had moderate lines and if you could find a beer vendor you were doing great. I find it odd that at this point you could hire someone for $30/hr and as long as they sell 3 beers in that hour, you'd be breaking even. So the marketing for open positions will be at any stadium for a long while.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
If you’re looking for any out of town touristy things, Leavenworth is about 2 hours away. It’s probably Oktoberfest there at that time. That’s where I’m from. Great little town.

about 2.5 hours south is Mt. St. Helens

the San Juan Islands are worth the trip. Lots to see on San Juan and Orcas islands.

Mt. rainier is worth the drive. But only if the weather is good.

Thank you for this. Going to be in Seattle from 10/21-10/26. At night our plans are:

10/22 - Coldplay at CPA
10/23 - Kraken Opener
10/24 - ???
10/25 - Seahawks MNF (Sadly less excited about this now)

During the day planning to:

• Pike Place Market
  • Bainbridge Island
  • Cascades National Park (hiking)
  • Mt. Reiner Park (hiking)
  • Great breakfast/coffee/meals
  • Tailgating before each event
  • Something else...?

Of course any recommendations to add/augment those activities above would be surely welcome.

Also heard about the San Juan Islands, but between the drive/ferry might be too much to accomplish. Seems like you really need to stay there at least one night.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I haven't heard any public comment on the Arena being completed. With the home opener just 11 days away and a concert the night before I worry about the ice being ready. A construction update would be appreciated.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I haven't heard any public comment on the Arena being completed. With the home opener just 11 days away and a concert the night before I worry about the ice being ready. A construction update would be appreciated.

There's just way too many powerful people behind this for it not to be ready. They'll work 24/7 if needed.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
There's just way too many powerful people behind this for it not to be ready. They'll work 24/7 if needed.

Tim Leiweke (not Tod), the head honcho Oak View Group, the company who is building the arena (not contractor, the money guys) said it'll be ready on Sound of Hockey Podcast yesterday. I'd trust him over anybody on the matter.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Flyingsquad23

Feb 9, 2019
Drove around the arena Tuesday and it looked like they had a lot of work to do. They will be in scramble mode right up to the opening.
At this point as long as my seat is bolted to the floor and the the beer is properly chilled I couldn’t care less if it’s 100. Can’t wait to see those home blues and that first epic introduction.

KRAK ON

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray Martyniuk

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I would love to be there, but unless I win the lotto in the next week, it ain’t happening.
Tickets are plummeting in cost. Seeing people post on the FB groups for < $500 ea now. The get in price on TM is $439 now too.

Going to be in Seattle from 10/21-10/26. At night our plans are:

10/22 - Coldplay at CPA
10/23 - Kraken Opener
10/24 - ???
10/25 - Seahawks MNF (Sadly less excited about this now)

During the day planning to:

• Pike Place Market
  • Bainbridge Island
  • Cascades National Park (hiking)
  • Mt. Reiner Park (hiking)
  • Great breakfast/coffee/meals
  • Tailgating before each event
  • San Juan Islands
  • Something else...?

You don't need a car if you are just in the city or ferry ride away. You will need a car to get to the national parks and doing any of the National parks or San Juans is not really feasible aside from maybe on the 24th since 2+ hours drive to get there. The Sounders also play at home on Saturday 23rd at 1230pm against Kansas City which are usually 2 good teams and games. A ferry trip to Bainbridge and getting bunch on other side is nice. Ferry to Bremerton to check out some Navy warships. The Ballard Locks are cool and the neighboring Alaska fishing boats. There are hundreds of breweries all over Washington Beer | Brewery Map

Reactions: periferal

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Didn't you post the same stuff some time ago in the Arena thread?

Like mentioned above, Tim Leiweke made it clear during the last Sound of Hockey Podcast that the arena will open on Octer 22nd(Coldplay) and that everything's on time for the opener on the 23rd.

King5 also had a video up talking to the arena staff and were told them that the final seats will be installed today/Saturday and that every ticket owner will be informed about their seats on Monday.

Reactions: Ray Martyniuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad