GDT: 10/23/15 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Winnipeg

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
After the first period Stamkos seemed to kick it up a notch. He was not good, then he was good, then he was awesome.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Lol not the best milestone game for Bishop but I'm happy for him and hope he can celebrate it with a day off tomorrow

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Bolts-Bench-October-23-2015-300x200.jpg

Post-game audio: Coach Cooper, Victor Hedman, Ondrej Palat & Ben Bishop.

To listen click here.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Hey guys! I have yet to see a Tampa game this year but I always see Hedman on the scoresheet. Is he playing great as well? He just took off last post season. Is he still yhat great?

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
That's probably the worst game I've seen Sustr play this season, he did one great thing (a nicely timed pinch) a handful of "normal" things and the rest was a myriad of **** ups, ill timed-passes (Hedman says thank you for nothing btw) paired with the puck handling skills of a dead gnu. Sustr's maybe a born winner (lol) but he's certainly an elite momentum killer.

Liked how Namestinkov responded after his mistake, his line got better as the game went on, the kid's developing slowly but surely. I loved Drouin's first 30 minutes, he was flying out there and I recall at least 2 tremendous defensive moves from his part. Tyler is coming along, Kuch not so much.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just finished watching. Reflections:

Boyle is getting promoted. Why? Because our fourth line is too good to mess with. So it's gonna be Killer-Flip-Boyle on 3rd. Brown's the odd man out.

Coburn had a typical Steven Stamkos game. By that I mean, he scored a goal and somehow managed to have a bad night.

Stamkos, on the other hand, had a really solid night. And I couldn't believe my eyes: He won some board battles. Good night for Stammer, I thought.

TyJo is back to being The Man of 1000 Chances. He was all over the ice tonight and just couldn't buy one. Good sign though. TKO was creating offense and Johnson was getting chance after chance. Sooner or later it'll break even and we'll see some go in.

Kuch is getting up to speed. This was probably his best game of the season. I think he's still a tick behind Johnson and Drej (who also looked very good), but you can see it starting to click again. He was trying to be creative and he was coming out of the corner with pucks. Good night for Kuch.

What more can be said about Hedman?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hedman is the teams best player until proven otherwise, from the playoffs and onward, he's reached a new level. If Stamkos goes down I have no doubt our offense can pick up the slack, nobody can replace Hedman right now espcially since Stralman isn't looking as good as he did last year.

Hedman at $4 for this year and next is our cup window, this guy would deservedly get $9m on his next contract.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Guys.... we have still gotten points in every game Sustr has played... only lost one game and that was in OT.... He's good luck ;)

Hedman looked OKAY I guess :sarcasm: if you're into franchise defensemen with tones of skill and garbage like that.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i watched the game a second time and was mad at one player floating killer first couple of periods we need the killer of the playoffs not the guy last night. I was thinking at one point was a d man and then read the number and was like what gives he did very little for him or what ive been seeing in him lately maybe was that whole line which was wack last night but could see self yelling at him that line lol

anyway as stated that was a triplet sighting finally a true one good to see them back

great to see stamkos playing hard and drouin a few nifty plays

the sustr thing he did also save that one goal but man is he a monumental momentum killer lmao

carle cant say was terrible but not good garrison had some questions coburn a couple

we are not in sync but a lot closer now of the team i want to see on ice

hope bishop gets recharged and bring on the champs

"to be the man you got to beat the man"

get er done

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
i watched the game a second time and was mad at one player floating killer first couple of periods we need the killer of the playoffs not the guy last night. I was thinking at one point was a d man and then read the number and was like what gives he did very little for him or what ive been seeing in him lately maybe was that whole line which was wack last night but could see self yelling at him that line lol

anyway as stated that was a triplet sighting finally a true one good to see them back

great to see stamkos playing hard and drouin a few nifty plays

the sustr thing he did also save that one goal but man is he a monumental momentum killer lmao

carle cant say was terrible but not good garrison had some questions coburn a couple

we are not in sync but a lot closer now of the team i want to see on ice

hope bishop gets recharged and bring on the champs

"to be the man you got to beat the man"

get er done

I've noticed that about Killorn too. Last season he had a pretty meh year but had a great playoffs. This year he's been floating a lot and not engaging physically in plays. He needs to play hard all year and not just save it for the postseason.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sustr was horrendous once again.

I thought Coburn looked good, he seemed to go on the rush much more tonight.
Stamkos and Drouin were once again really good... especially Drouin defensively.
Kuch is fine, he's playing good... they just haven't had luck in the scoresheet, but they're all good.
The 4th line played a very good game

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The thing I might love most about Hedman...

When he makes a mistake (which doesn't happen often), he is right on whoever he turned the puck over to with his speed, size, and strength. They have no chance to take advantage of his mistake because he just swarms them.

And man - has he found some man strength. He doesn't really use it to crunch people, but along the walls, at the blue line, and when skating, you can really see how strong he is. I was thinking about that nice move he had when he created that chance in the third leading the rush - he just let the player checking him shed right off of him.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Nice depth scoring. Second game I missed in the row and both have been apparently exciting. Maybe I should stop watching for the greater good.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sustr did have a bit of a rough game. When I watch him and the mistakes he makes it reminds me of a young Hedman. It took Hedman several seasons to work through those rough patches so he could become the player he is now, I just think we need to give Sustr 3 or 4 more years before we start worrying.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Sustr did have a bit of a rough game. When I watch him and the mistakes he makes it reminds me of a young Hedman. It took Hedman several seasons to work through those rough patches so he could become the player he is now, I just think we need to give Sustr 3 or 4 more years before we start worrying.

3 or 4 more years i need chief back with the bubbly so can get passed my ulcers just destroy the liver

i dont drink but man he could make me if i could lol :)

also as has been stated hose sustr never shows that inclination to become a top four NEVER

even nesterov has some moments your like yep can see him being top four

sustr has never showed that to me maybe a 7 full time but not a difference maker that deserves the time your stating

i love the when i watch him comment does that mean you close your eyes when he is on the ice lmao

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The difference is even early days Hedman showed flashes of greatness. Sustr occasionally shows flashes of competence, that's about it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The thing I might love most about Hedman...

When he makes a mistake (which doesn't happen often), he is right on whoever he turned the puck over to with his speed, size, and strength. They have no chance to take advantage of his mistake because he just swarms them.

And man - has he found some man strength. He doesn't really use it to crunch people, but along the walls, at the blue line, and when skating, you can really see how strong he is. I was thinking about that nice move he had when he created that chance in the third leading the rush - he just let the player checking him shed right off of him.

I always thought he was strong along the walls, even in years when he didn't play well. He would just sort of lean on guys and come away with the puck (and sometimes turn it over).

This year though it's like everything has clicked. It's basically the exact same guy we saw in the playoffs, and, to be honest, that's kind of shocking. You really don't expect guys to keep up THAT level of play. Which I guess is why we're getting serious about "top 5" talk. ...Really though, if he keeps this up for the year, it goes beyond top 5.

Now if we could just get Coop to start inching his icetime up so maybe we don't have to see the bottom pairing so much. If we're going with "top 5" talk, is there a top 5 Dman in the league who averages less than, say, 24 minutes per night? Because I think it's only Hedman.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Big guys like Sustr and Hedman do take longer to mature, (and to Hedmans advantage he's been playing pro since he was 16) but I don't think Sustr will get another 3-4 more years. He's got to show us what he has now because there's a line forming behind him and it starts with Nesterov and then Koekkoek. He's going to have to fight for his job on the bottom pairing in the not to distant future unless he can lock a spot down.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Big guys like Sustr and Hedman do take longer to mature, (and to Hedmans advantage he's been playing pro since he was 16) but I don't think Sustr will get another 3-4 more years. He's got to show us what he has now because there's a line forming behind him and it starts with Nesterov and then Koekkoek. He's going to have to fight for his job on the bottom pairing in the not to distant future unless he can lock a spot down.

Because he's a righty, he probably has until DeAngelo is ready.

That said, even though it does take big players longer to mature, especially D, you usually can see what they might mature into by their play on the ice. Chara, for instance, might not have had an offensive game, and he might have made a lot of mistakes, but he ALWAYS played with that edge. He just honed it over time.

...What exactly is Sustr honing?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Because he's a righty, he probably has until DeAngelo is ready.

That said, even though it does take big players longer to mature, especially D, you usually can see what they might mature into by their play on the ice. Chara, for instance, might not have had an offensive game, and he might have made a lot of mistakes, but he ALWAYS played with that edge. He just honed it over time.

...What exactly is Sustr honing?

I think the whole Lefty - Righty thing gets thrown out the window if the player is too good to not play. Right now Koekkoek is knocking on the door and if he get's in later this season or makes the team next year, I don't see how Coop can deny him if he deserves to play. Coop has also broken this system before like he had to in the playoffs with a Coburn-Garrison pairing and he's trying to do now with Carle-Garrison.

Sustr I guess is honing everything. He's a master of no particular thing, who wants to keep his game simple. If in the end he can be more reliable, make good decisions on the ice, eat more minutes, and keep the puck out of the net, I'll take it. I see him trying to be more like a Mike Lundin.

NHL coaches like to use the 300 games mark as the point where a Dmen has enough experience to come into his own. Sustr could reach that in the year 2018, but who knows what the roster looks like by then.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad