Post-Game Talk: 10/22 - ALCS Game 6 - Houston wins the Pennant :(

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm just devastated more than mad. Like I guess I'm mad but just more disappointed.

Exceeding expectations, knocking out the Yankees and Rays, taking Houston to 6, we were gravy. Successful season. But losing 3 in a row after the way the first three games played out is a gut punch.

I believe Laz Diaz cost us a pennant, I honestly do. But not the only reason, there were many other opportunities to overcome that that we failed at. After game 3 if you told me that Pivetta, Sale, and Eovaldi would all give you great starts of 2 earned runs or fewer I'd have thought we'd have easily closed them out. But the offense went ice cold and the defense made several crucial errors at the same time.

Houston's pitching staff was dead in the water, they had Greinke pitching game 4, their other starters were guys who couldn't get out of the second, their pen was full of trash and overworked. And we let them off the hook. Partof it was Laz Diaz for sure, part of it was Framber Valdez making adjustments (cough cough) between starts, but moreover it was just being dumb and stranding runners left and right. Renfroe grounding into like 7 double plays, whatever the f*** Shaw was trying to do, never getting the runners in from third. Etc.

But more than anything this is the first time I'm really questioning Cora. He's definitely still the skipper for this team going forward, but the mystique is fading because he had a really bad series and got thoroughly outmanaged by a dinosaur in Dusty Baker. That's just too absurd to even think about in the year 2021.

It all just sucks. And now I have to root for Atlanta? Gross. In the end they did arrive a year ahead of schedule which means the future may be bright, but we'll see what Chaim and the computer algorithms do this winter.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm not one for sour grapes but everything changed because of Game 4 HPU Laz Diaz

BUT

They stopped hitting the last 3 games so give credit to Houston pitching adjusting.

dsimage.php

Reactions: Alicat and Fenway

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
bats went cold, Eovaldi and Sale didnt get any run support the last 2, the sox lack an ace similar to what Lester did in 2013 so they needed to keep scoring.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

What’s the chatter - are we or me being paranoid that Valdez & Gracia stunning turnaround was spider tack related

even if they lost in 7 have to think mlb not happy about Diaz series changing umpiring - the three most brutal calls per Umpire Scorecard were against Sox in worse moments

I don’t like LA so not sure I can get behind Astros - Atlanta ‘Bruins’ an easy call if they meet up

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
They need more pitching 2 solid starters and Bullpen help including a legit closer. Get rid of Barnes, Brasier and Sale his contract need to be moved out.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Onto the bruins....

Not a baseball fan ... I just can't appreciate watching 162 games and seeing so few teams competing for the world series. Wish this could be expanded.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I don’t think anyone was cheating, but I do find it comedic that you guys are somehow implying the Astros were because their pitching began dominating the Sox. Let’s be honest…it would have been the Sox cheating in earlier games if it went from 20 hits a night to 2.

Again…I don’t think anyone was cheating.

Hopefully after the dust settles, we can hang on to the great moments that did occur during this postseason run. I’m hard pressed to find any single game I enjoyed watching more EVER than the one game playoff against the Yankees at Fenway. Pure magic.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
This series was completely a reflection of the season as a whole. Losing winnable games to poor decisions and fielding breakdowns, dominating for a stretch, then completely falling apart in every possible way. Throw in some horseshit umpiring and the drama and intrigue of sign-stealing and spider tack speculation and it covers all the possible angles.

A team I expected to win around 80-85 games got to game 6 of the ALCS. It's disappointing they're not going further for the reasons they're not, but I hope and expect many of those to be addressed in the offseason and I love the direction Bloom's got them headed.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I guess we shouldn’t be surprised. The reason why I didn‘t think the Sox would win the WS is because I didn‘t have faith in their line-up. Slugging your way through the post-season is unrealistic. They had a stretch of a few awesome games, but winning by 10 runs is still just one win. And it sucks if you get shut down for the next 2-3. They were very prone to that during the regular season, because they refused to take a walk. It‘s basically been your typical all or nothing approach.

They have overachieved this season, so nobody should be mad at them. Cora is the right manager for this team, but he had very abysmal playoffs (it wasn‘t only the ALCS). It happens… only one team can take the crown in each year.

Everything about this year was just a bonus. More important is how Bloom can form a contender long term, year after year. I guess we‘re gonna see some major overhaul despite the success this year. Bloom does not seem to be the person that gets attached to his players too much. It‘s going to be a very interesting off-season, that is for sure.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Garcia average regular season speed 93

last night 3 straight innings of 97

this guy was hurt 5 days ago

200 rpm to slider last night - how does that happen

his cutter never showed 186 rpm increase

8-10% change in spin rate

dripping sweat with roof closed

odd

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
2,603 pitches this year 1 fastball at 97 tonight 7 in a row

highest spin rate since pre spider tack

Lol

I hope the NL doesn’t allow this and goes out and checks there arms
@LouJersey

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They do not give a f***
Yah they do

and they are horrified their crown jewel will be all about prior cheating and are they doing it again

technology showing Valdez & Garcia pitches were same as pre spider tack and different from games 1 and 2

The facts don’t lie

f baseball - I won’t watch these Cheatstros win lot of hockey to watch instead

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Yah they do

and they are horrified their crown jewel will be all about prior cheating and are they doing it again

technology showing Valdez & Garcia pitches were same as pre spider tack and different from games 1 and 2

The facts don’t lie

f baseball - I won’t watch these Cheatstros win lot of hockey to watch instead

Houston vs LAD or Houston vs Boston was $$$ for them so they don’t. They’ve never cared or done anything about shit umpiring so nothing will change

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad