Post-Game Talk: 10/22 - ALCS Game 6 - Houston wins the Pennant :(

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It was an entertaining run until it wasn’t. Bats totally died. Yeah the Laz Diaz thing, but the bats were dead regardless.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Renfroe was perhaps Sox most clutch hitter in the regular season. Against Houston 1 for 16 (.063) with 8 Ks and 1 RBI.

Bogaerts went 5 for 26 (.192) with 10 Ks and 2 RBI against Houston.

Schwarber 3 for 25 (.120) with 7 Ks and 4 RBI all on one swing.

JD had 9 Ks in 17 at bats.

That said, it was a great and unexpected ride this season.

I appreciated it.

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This series was completely a reflection of the season as a whole. Losing winnable games to poor decisions and fielding breakdowns, dominating for a stretch, then completely falling apart in every possible way. Throw in some horseshit umpiring and the drama and intrigue of sign-stealing and spider tack speculation and it covers all the possible angles.

A team I expected to win around 80-85 games got to game 6 of the ALCS. It's disappointing they're not going further for the reasons they're not, but I hope and expect many of those to be addressed in the offseason and I love the direction Bloom's got them headed.

Yeah, this is spot on.

Team did this all year, looked amazing for stretches then started getting shut out by Baltimore, etc. for weeks. We should've seen it coming but after game 3 it felt like everything was gangbusters.

Clearly Houston adjustments weren't on the up and up. DKH provided some good data on Luis Garcia's inexplicable velocity and spin upgrade over 5 days. Valdez having pinpoint accuracy and sink on a cold October afternoon in New England was incredibly fishy as well. Any other team and I'd hold back since it'd look like sour grapes, but Houston has done this for years, got caught and got off with zero punishment or accountability for individual players so nothings stopping them from doing it again with backs against the wall.

Next year we need one more bat in the middle of the lineup and I'd like to get a bullpen stud you can count on in high leverage.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
But even if they were cheating (and they were), it just improves their command and control, it doesn't mean they're Bob Gibson or anything. We could've hit them still. Like the Travis Shaw strike out throw out DP was a f***ing meatball up in the zone and bro can't even foul it off?

My standpoint is that the umps boned us and Houston cheats, but there were so many other things in our control that we didn't do well and we made preventable mistakes on, especially defense.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Bottom line if Casas isn’t the starting 1b next season we riot

I never want to see Dalbec again in my life
Dalbec is the Red Sox Karson Kuhlman.

Like...he's good, I guess. Flashes of great talent. Defensively sound. But just kind of leaves you disappointed in the big picture.

Reactions: GoBs

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dalbec is young with 40 Homer potential with plus fielding at third and improving at first

clearly like the rest of the Red Sox when they allow Garcia, Valdez, & Javier to use spider tack then Dalbec Is toast

you guys can riot I’ll have Dalbec on my team

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Like...he's good, I guess. Flashes of great talent. Defensively sound. But just kind of leaves you disappointed in the big picture.
he was second in ops+ over last 3 months to Harper going into final week

you guess lol

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
2022 lineup:

Hernandez CF
Bogaerts 2B
Devers 3B
Correa SS
JD DH
Schwarber LF
Verdugo RF
Casas 1B
Vazquez C

Sale-Eovaldi-Pivetta-Whitlock-Seabold

Convert Houck to reliever

Hire someone from Houston to teach Barnes how to hide the spider tack better

Edit: I forgot Doogie, pure brain fart moment

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Might be simplistic and inconsequential.

Might be optimistic and unnecessary.

Might just be delusional.

But, give the pitchers their tacky stuff (one or two approved products league wide) and ban the shift. (Two infielders must be on each side of 2b at all times and never more than 5 feet onto the OF grass).

Fair and square.

As for the Sox…..disappointed in the short term (i.e. this weekend).

Excited long term!

Reactions: CDJ

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
2022 lineup:

Hernandez CF
Bogaerts 2B
Devers 3B
Correa SS
JD DH
Schwarber LF
Renfroe RF
Casas 1B
Vazquez C

Sale-Eovaldi-Pivetta-Whitlock-Seabold

Convert Houck to reliever

Hire someone from Houston to teach Barnes how to hide the spider tack better
No Verdugo?

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I don’t think that’s an apt comparison, Dalbec was legitimately the 2nd best hitter in baseball over a fairly significant stretch of time (probably 2 months or so)

when has Kuhlman ever flashed anything top 6 worthy? Or produced?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Might be simplistic and inconsequential.

Might be optimistic and unnecessary.

Might just be delusional.

But, give the pitchers their tacky stuff (one or two approved products league wide) and ban the shift. (Two infielders must be on each side of 2b at all times and never more than 5 feet onto the OF grass).

Fair and square.

As for the Sox…..disappointed in the short term (i.e. this weekend).

Excited long term!
i like it.

semi-related question, is the distance from home plate to the start of the outfield grass the same across all parks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad