Injury Report: 10/19 Burns

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
See joe Thornton with hertl and Hamilton or hertl and Sheppard to see how any player will generally need a better thought out line to truly win matchups

Havlat...is terrible. I'm sorry. Maybe last year he helps pavs. But he's doing almost nothing right now. The only games he even looked somewhat engaged was with couture.

Nieto has nhl skills but with pavs and wingels was not really taking any of the hard stuff. Lots of rebound clean up and late zone puck retrieval. With havlat not really engaged at all and nieto being as small as he is, I feel it's asking him to play too far above himself to affect his matchups offensively.

There should be matchups that he can win with lower QoT, but the centers or playmakers that tangibly boost their line mates aren't all that common. Pavs does need help to win match ups, but he also doesn't live or die by them. I think we give pavs too much credit at times. He's still underpaid in this market though.

Will be interesting to see his numbers from the majority of a season at 3C though.

I agree. Pavelski has been skating with extremely low QoT and is still 4th in EV production among forwards.

He's been getting "easy" minutes, yes, but with his revolving door of linemates I don't really know what anyone expects - Havlat hasn't looked like an NHLer in 6 of the 8 games he's played in, McCarthy isn't really an NHLer and he hasn't spent a whole lot of time with Kennedy. Wingels has been the only consistent forward Pavelski has skated with and when they were together they were good. Nieto was also good on Pavelski's wing but his play was inconsistent and was starting to slip.

Getting Burns back into the lineup will hopefully slot the forwards back to where they belong but expecting "a lot" more out of Pavelski (who is still coming out on top in both CF and GF) considering who his linemates have been seems unrealistic in my opinion.

I do think he has another level but he seems to be the center this season that gets whatever wingers are struggling and that's going to affect his play.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Pollak says Burns skating in a white top-6 practice jersey, lining up on Thornton's wing.

y1cnodp.gif

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I tend to agree, but it's not guaranteed. Havlat was cleared games before he started IIRC. I'm pretty sure even his agent tweeted about it.

True, but havlat also wasn't able to really do anything for at the very least 2 months and the rest was just probably light skating/workouts until a month before he came back.

Burns is basically already in game shape, just a little slower at the thinking of the game then he was before he got hurt.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
True, but havlat also wasn't able to really do anything for at the very least 2 months and the rest was just probably light skating/workouts until a month before he came back.

Burns is basically already in game shape, just a little slower at the thinking of the game then he was before he got hurt.

Todd specifically pointed to his conditioning as a concern, so unless you know something we don't I don't understand where you're coming from.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Todd specifically pointed to his conditioning as a concern, so unless you know something we don't I don't understand where you're coming from.

ok let me rephrase that, burns is in shape still, he would not lose that much conditioning from being away for what amounts to 1 month. he is just not in tip top game shape. which he won't be until he actually starts playing games again.

i have never been in top shape, nor have i ever had the perfect diet like top athletes do. but i just took a month off after going to the gym non stop for 3 months and that 1st day back was bad but i still had the strength i had when i last went, just my muscles became a little sore after.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
ok let me rephrase that, burns is in shape still, he would not lose that much conditioning from being away for what amounts to 1 month. he is just not in tip top game shape. which he won't be until he actually starts playing games again.

i have never been in top shape, nor have i ever had the perfect diet like top athletes do. but i just took a month off after going to the gym non stop for 3 months and that 1st day back was bad but i still had the strength i had when i last went, just my muscles became a little sore after.

Strength is a lot different than stamina, but I already agreed it was likely and that's because he wasn't off as long as Havlat and didn't have surgery etc..., but they don't have conditioning stints for nothing. Who knows at what level he's been able to or has worked out while going through this. That's all I'm saying.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
if that stays true and he plays on thursday. good night tampa that game in my opinion will be over before it even begins.

lol I would not think the game is in the bag just because Burns comes back. There are a lot of issues that the team has to work out and people have to get re-acclimated to each other in game time. Plus, even without Stamkos, Tampa is not going to be a pushover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad