GDT: 10/19/2014 - Wild @ Kings - 2 PM CT / 10 PM Finland - FS-N, FS-WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Everybody who is freaking out should go back and watch the Blues/Kings game from Thursday. Same script, the Blues dominated possession, put up 40 shots and got shut out. Quick was the difference maker in both games.

Except for a game against Arizona, every game we play in October is against a playoff team from last year. We are not going to win all of them.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
Have to ask but why is Koivu in the 1st PP line over Granlund?? I love the guy but c'mon...........

J22*

Have to ask but why is Koivu in the 1st PP line over Granlund?? I love the guy but c'mon...........

Because, while neither have done a whole lot with the puck on the PP. Koivu can -
actually win a faceoff
occasionally gain the offensive zone with control of the puck
win a board battle.

Granlund deserves just as much criticism as anyone else for the PP's struggles.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
Fire mike yeo, trade mikko!

on a serious note, glad that skate didnt do any damage to Zucker, scary stuff.

in general I am happy with the way the season has started Obviously a win would have been nice to pull out of this mini road trip. . I would hope that Zucker has earned his spot on the 2nd line and I love the 1st and 3rd lines.Heard Coyle's name a lot the last two games, which is a great sign.

If we can bury some of these chances we will be set, esp. on the power play.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
4 games isn't enough to judge Vanek as a flop, but so far I'm seeing what I didn't want to see from him.

The Wild had zero PP goals with Granlund there (and the total is still the same). If it had been working out, no change would have been made. Mikke couldn't win a faceoff to save his life in this game, but that goes for all other Wild centers too except for one. Guess who that was? Granlund also has no points in the last 3 games and that's only marginally better than no points in 4 games.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
We totally DOMINATED the reigning SC champions in their building. This team is looking FANTASTIC. With the amount of scoring skill in the roster, no way it's going to be a problem in the long run.

This is a rocking team. And it's getting better.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
are we a bad team? no are we the best in the west? no. our young guns need another year under their belt to gain confidence and some of those shots go in. backs played well neither goal his fault.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I honestly hate watching games vs the Kings. They might be my least favorite team to watch. Honestly they play really boring hockey. Coming from a Wild fan it is pretty hilarious. Seriously though we kick the crap out of them in shots and possession but can't score. Sounds like the never ending Wild storyline...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I thought they played well overall. Just dominant in terms of controlling the puck and getting shots on goal.

LA definitely has a great defense and great team defense. More than most teams they clog the NZ and force dump ins. Plus they have elite goaltending and enough skill up front to capitalize on scoring chances. Sound familiar? That was the MO for some Devils teams and the bits of success the Wild had back in the day.

The only counter to that is to keep the pressure on, and the Wild did that. It just wasn't their day in terms of puck luck. But they legitimately ran into a hot goalie, not just some backup that they put 15-20 shots on and couldn't score.

I liked the look of the lines when Zucker played on the second and Fontaine on the fourth. That fourth line got a goal and Zucker was a threat all night. Top line was fantastic. Koivu and Vanek to me look like they have been coasting all season but picked it up after a slow start to the game yesterday.

This will come as a shock but I really thought Coyle had a strong game after the first. He needs to knock off the penalties for sure, but he had some good shot attempts and positioning. I also liked when Coyle and Koivu set picks to keep defenders from the puck while getting it to their teammates in the OZ. They each did it at least once.

Defensively, Brodin was amazing. Folin had a great game, too. Loved that he ID'd a spot to make a big hit, then pounded Richards and stood up for himself. He looks like a player. I'm tired of Processor and Ballard, let's get Folin and Dumba back in the lineup, or at least Folin regularly.

Backstrom looked good. Better than Kuemper did his first couple games but not as good as Kuemper's last game. Good first game back I guess.

Special teams...they looked pretty decent. I know they haven't scored yet but they are getting a ton of good looks. I don't want to see them change a good formula yet. Work on the finish, not the setup.

I won't be happy if the Wild keep playing well and are a 0.500 team in a month, but now I chalk it up to small sample size.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm not saying he is the sole reason for the struggles the past two games, but Mikko has looked AWFUL. He's WAY too deliberate in everything he does. He telegraphs almost every move he makes.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Also I'm pretty the blues left that trip without a goal. Also question doesn't koivu usually start out slow when it comes to points?

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Koivu and Vanek will both look a hell of a lot better when they're away from each other. That line didn't, and still doesn't, make any sense. Vanek needs to be on a line that allows him the time and space to find soft spots to settle in to and he then becomes a great player. On a line with Koivu +winger de jour, you're asking him to play a vital role in a cycle game that just doesn't fit what he does.

4 games in, I still see the same Wild team that struggles to create real scoring chances. Going in to the year I wasn't concerned about the defense or goaltending that most like to question, just whether they have enough scoring ability to be a threat.

Think Folin has played well enough to be somewhat solidified as an everyday NHLer.

Solid outing by Backs. Just straight beaten on two golden chances. Gave the team a chance to win.

PP is a mess whether they had zone time or not.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Put Zucker full time on the 2nd line, and we will see more production from Koivu and Vanek. Coyle has stone-hands and Fontaine, is neither fast or strong enough to be effective against quality defenders.

Vanek and Koivu haven't looked as bad as people are saying, but they do look to have a bit of summer rust on their hands and feet. Give them a speedy linemate and a few more games, and they will start buzzing.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
I'm not saying he is the sole reason for the struggles the past two games, but Mikko has looked AWFUL. He's WAY too deliberate in everything he does. He telegraphs almost every move he makes.

yep, it was the same thing when Parise first came here. Mikko was always trying to force passes to Parise, especially on the PP. hes doing the same thing with Vanek now

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Also the goals have been scored on with the fourth line on the ice. I still like that line better with Brodziak.(0-2 without him ;)).Also if Vanek buries some of his chances were probally not having this discussion or blaming certain people. just to be negative even though I hate to be keith ballard should not be in the lineup at all unless there is an injury.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
My #1 choice would be to keep the lines, but put Zucker at RW with Vanek-Koivu, but this could also be fun:

Vanek-Granlund-Pominville
Nino-Koivu-Coyle
Parise-Haula-Zucker

Why? Because that 3rd line looks way too fast.....

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I think this made the most sense preseason, and still do...

Vanek - Granlund - Pominville
Parise - Koivu - Zucker
Nino - Haula - Coyle
Cooke - Brodziak - Fontaine
Carter

That top line could go quite for long stretches without Parise to win and rag pucks, though.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Honestly, I'm at the point where I wouldn't even blink an eye if Yeo changed all the lines. Fine by me. Promote Zucker, demote Fontaine, do something. That Arizona game needs to be won and the guys need to get the monkeys off their backs, so it should preferably be won by several goals. This is the easiest game to do it this month (on paper at the very least).

Also I'm pretty the blues left that trip without a goal. Also question doesn't koivu usually start out slow when it comes to points?

Yes. Last year he was 1.0 PPG after October. We've had this same discussion here at the beginning of the season at least since I came along.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Honestly, I'm at the point where I wouldn't even blink an eye if Yeo changed all the lines. Fine by me. Promote Zucker, demote Fontaine, do something. That Arizona game needs to be won and the guys need to get the monkeys off their backs, so it should preferably be won by several goals. This is the easiest game to do it this month (on paper at the very least).

Yes. Last year he was 1.0 PPG after October. We've had this same discussion here at the beginning of the season at least since I came along.

Thanks that's what I thought. I remember last year when he kept scoring goals at like the right times.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
No way. A Wild team that struggles scoring, colour me surprised. This will be another embarrassing year, despite talent. Can't wait for all the dead part of the year with 2-1 3-2 games. Koivu needs to step the **** up and quit passing to dead places. He looks like a piece of ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce