GDT: 10/18/2019 Game 8: Detroit Red Wings @ Edmonton Oilers (9pm EST)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Miller's cap hit % isn't crazy low, though, at 6.6% at the time of his signing. It doesn't look way off these comps I pulled up on capfriendly. Even if I bump Mantha up to 7.5% of a $83.5m cap, that's only ~$6.26m per season, and that's a lower percentage than Larkin's contract. I once advocated for a higher cap hit for Mantha, but the more I look at this...I'm not sure how justified it will be to go over that cap hit percentage of 7.5%

If Mantha goes off and has a crazy year, yeah, that could push the number up. but it could also push towards a much shorter deal to see if a big year this year isn't an anomaly.

That might be the way to go for both AA and Mantha.
But it could have consequences. Both guys could say, well, you just invited me to test free agency and max out.

Reactions: Winger98

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
"Better than a top 9 player on another team." That means you are saying Mantha is NOT better than anyone in their top 9. Meaning the only place he could fit on the team is outside of the top 9...aka the fourth line. Your words, not mine.

You ignored every ounce of context I provided in that post I made just to come back with some contentious response. Why don't you address the stats? Is it because you have no leg to stand on?
Meaning that's his ceiling not he is trying to get in the top 9. Stop trying to twist my words for attention....

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Meaning that's his ceiling not he is trying to get in the top 9. Stop trying to twist my words for attention....

So you misspoke. Got it. Either way Mantha is a first liner for half the teams in the league, and at a minimum he’s a second liner.

Nobody’s doing anything for attention. You just can’t admit you’re wrong.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
So you misspoke. Got it. Either way Mantha is a first liner for half the teams in the league, and at a minimum he’s a second liner.

Nobody’s doing anything for attention. You just can’t admit you’re wrong.
On the top 6 teams in the standings last year who is he replacing in their 6 six.????I get you probably only watch the red wings and are bias towards your favorite player. Got it.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
On the top 6 teams in the standings last year who is he replacing in their 6 six.????I get you probably only watch the red wings and are bias towards your favorite player. Got it.

This should be fun. Top 6 teams in the standings, I'll list the forwards (who played a substantial amount of games) I would take Mantha over

Tampa - Erne, Palat, Cirelli, Gourde, Johnson, Miller, Paquette, Callahan, Joseph, Killorn (aka anyone not named Kucherov, Stamkos, Point - 2 are centers)
Calgary - Frolik, Mangiapane, Neal, Backlund, Bennett, Czarnik, Dube, Jankowski, Ryan, Hathaway (aka anyone not named Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Monahan - 2 are centers)
Boston - Debrusk, Acciari, Backes, Donato, Kuraly, Nordstrom, Wagner, Coyle, Cave, Bjork, Cehlarik (aka anyone not named Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Krejci - 2 are centers)
Washington - Burakovsky, Hagelin, Vrana, Boyd, Dowd, Eller, Stephenson, Jaskin, Smith-Pelly, Wilson (aka anyone not named Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie - 2 are centers)
Islanders - Beauvillier, Dal Colle, Ladd, Martin, Cizikas, Filppula, Komarov, Belson, Clutterbuck, Eberle, Kuhnhackl (aka anyone not named Bailey, Barzal, Lee - technically all 3 are centers)
Sharks - Karlsson, Thornton, Donskoi, Goodrow, Labanc, Nyquist, Sorenson - this one is tougher, because I would prefer Mantha over Kane based on his history of being difficult to deal with. I would not take him over Couture, Hertl, Pavelski, or Meier, 3 of which are centers.

Basically this isn't fantasy hockey or a video game. You don't get to stack teams with 6+ allstars at the forward position. Come back to reality.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
This should be fun. Top 6 teams in the standings, I'll list the forwards (who played a substantial amount of games) I would take Mantha over

Tampa - Erne, Palat, Cirelli, Gourde, Johnson, Miller, Paquette, Callahan, Joseph, Killorn (aka anyone not named Kucherov, Stamkos, Point - 2 are centers)
Calgary - Frolik, Mangiapane, Neal, Backlund, Bennett, Czarnik, Dube, Jankowski, Ryan, Hathaway (aka anyone not named Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Monahan - 2 are centers)
Boston - Debrusk, Acciari, Backes, Donato, Kuraly, Nordstrom, Wagner, Coyle, Cave, Bjork, Cehlarik (aka anyone not named Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, Krejci - 2 are centers)
Washington - Burakovsky, Hagelin, Vrana, Boyd, Dowd, Eller, Stephenson, Jaskin, Smith-Pelly, Wilson (aka anyone not named Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie - 2 are centers)
Islanders - Beauvillier, Dal Colle, Ladd, Martin, Cizikas, Filppula, Komarov, Belson, Clutterbuck, Eberle, Kuhnhackl (aka anyone not named Bailey, Barzal, Lee - technically all 3 are centers)
Sharks - Karlsson, Thornton, Donskoi, Goodrow, Labanc, Nyquist, Sorenson - this one is tougher, because I would prefer Mantha over Kane based on his history of being difficult to deal with. I would not take him over Couture, Hertl, Pavelski, or Meier, 3 of which are centers.

Basically this isn't fantasy hockey or a video game. You don't get to stack teams with 6+ allstars at the forward position. Come back to reality.
Mantha over Kane? Lol. And I need to come back to reality. Anyway I'm done talking about Mantha...

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Mantha over Kane? Lol. And I need to come back to reality. Anyway I'm done talking about Mantha...
Evander Kane has had one 30 goal season and two where he's gotten close, and he was older than Mantha is now when he did that. It's not a reach to take Mantha over him.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Evander Kane has had one 30 goal season and two where he's gotten close, and he was older than Mantha is now when he did that. It's not a reach to take Mantha over him.
Kane is only 3 years older than Mantha has been in the league almost ten years and scored 30 goals TWICE (which Mantha has NEVER done btw)and once when he was like 21. What are you talking about bro?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Kane is only 3 years older than Mantha has been in the league almost ten years and scored 30 goals TWICE (which Mantha has NEVER done btw)and once when he was like 21. What are you talking about bro?

Overall point being the stats aren’t drastically different and Kane has a history of being a bit of a self invested, locker room cancer.

I even said it was a tough choice. You ignored like 50 names and picked the one controversial one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NickH8

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018

I'd prefer Mantha over Lindholm and Bailey. Maaaybe Oshie and Lee, I think they're close right now and Mantha has a chance to pass them. NYI had a pretty low offensive year in total, but Bailey and Lee didn't really prove that they're the same players away from John Tavares. Oshie and Mantha are in the same tier for me.

Lindholm's production away from Gaudreau/Monahan is brutal. He's realistically more of the 45 pt player he was in Carolina and the Calgary top line inflated his counting stats.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'd prefer Mantha over Lindholm and Bailey. Maaaybe Oshie and Lee, I think they're close right now and Mantha has a chance to pass them. NYI had a pretty low offensive year in total, but Bailey and Lee didn't really prove that they're the same players away from John Tavares. Oshie and Mantha are in the same tier for me.

Lindholm's production away from Gaudreau/Monahan is brutal. He's realistically more of the 45 pt player he was in Carolina and the Calgary top line inflated his counting stats.

Call it throwing a dog a bone. I actually take Mantha over most of them as well, especially with future considerations. I just tried to make it a list that he could least argue with,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad