GDT: 10/17: Hawks vs Blues - No need to motivate for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
4-on-4 5:00 overtime is such a waste of time...I'd love to see what percentage of games that go into OT are actually decided in the 5:00 OT. They should really play 5-on-5 for at least 10:00 minutes then go to shootout IMO.

4 on 4 for 10 mins is how it should be. It would eliminate most shootouts

Doan Jidion*

4-on-4 5:00 overtime is such a waste of time...I'd love to see what percentage of games that go into OT are actually decided in the 5:00 OT. They should really play 5-on-5 for at least 10:00 minutes then go to shootout IMO.

Since the lockout and not counting the season in progress, 2,120 games have been lost in overtime. 1,207 of those overtime losses were shootout losses. So 56.9% of all overtime games have been shootouts. That's way, way, waaaaay higher than it ought to be.

EDIT: getting it up to date for this year, it's 1,226 shootouts in 2,132, for a cool 57%.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
Since the lockout and not counting the season in progress, 2,120 games have been lost in overtime. 1,207 of those overtime losses were shootout losses. So 56.9% of all overtime games have been shootouts. That's way, way, waaaaay higher than it ought to be.

EDIT: getting it up to date for this year, it's 1,226 shootouts in 2,132, for a cool 57%.

Awesome! Thank you! And that percentage is unacceptable!

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The Hawks played a decent game, but they're still finding themselves and finding roles for players. Pirri had a nice game, but outside of his goal (which was a nice shot) I can't really say he was too noticeable again. Hopefully his confidence grows a bit more and he finds himself on the PP, where he probably would be at his best.

Kane looked off tonight. The past couple games. I was wondering tonight if he was sick, and obviously that hit by Jackman didn't help.

Nothingman*

The Hawks played a decent game, but they're still finding themselves and finding roles for players. Pirri had a nice game, but outside of his goal (which was a nice shot) I can't really say he was too noticeable again. Hopefully his confidence grows a bit more and he finds himself on the PP, where he probably would be at his best.

Kane looked off tonight. The past couple games. I was wondering tonight if he was sick, and obviously that hit by Jackman didn't help.

Pirri was not noticeable because he basically didn't play the second period. I saw him win pucks and work. Hard to be noticeable on the bench. Also...note who he was playing with when he scored compared to the rest of the game.

They got the point which is less than they deserved after the Blues scored on a phantom penalty and a Keith own goal. As OK as they played I guess the outcome is to be expected.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Not an exciting game...players did not reward the fans who shelled out big bucks for tickets with scintillating artistry..instead I think O saw complacency entering the building.. Again a big nada from T and K and those prospective raises to $9 Mil each on the next contract are starting to look ridiculously risky..I mean WTF? Only 1 shot by Toews. ..only 2 shots by Kane. .zero shots by Bickell...Loking like the worst #1 line in the NHL now..And you do not think complacemcy has infected them and the team due to their lack of willand execution and example? The others must think well if our top line can just punch a clock and impose nothing why should we try? Yes I saw ONE prideful Blackhawk giving his all...Hossa.but otherwise a huge complacent team FAIL..ok if you refuse to play to your "A" level of talent..at least brong your "A" level of hustle will and win the battles..but NO..can't be bothered...no urgency required..Which is why Q needs to bag slate these underachievers NOW! The cancer of Cup hangover complacency will otherwise spread till it gets too advanced to purge.. What has happened to Kane on a mission and to Captain Serious turning to Captain stinky? They do not even look like 6million a yr guys let alone deserve 3million in raises for providing Nada or 1 stinky point and out...that is if that is their "good" night:s work..Yep Q. .I say bag dkate them..and if that fails...start benching the failing heroes..They ought to be ashamed..no points in 2 straight games..Fails in two straight shootouts..and no signs either "wants it" enough...being left in the dust by so many others..it is getting embarassing...oh,I understand..neither really wants to be selected for their Olympic teams..better to be on the beach at that time on a nice Mexican R&R..then after the Hawks barely squeeze into the last playoff spot after finally flipping the switch after the return from the Olympic break..THEN and only then will they bother to break out the "A" on a mission effort. till then..punch the clock only..Just awful...

CS85

Tell 'em, Mean Gene!
Jun 27, 2011
Champaign, IL
www.bearsfansonline.com

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Quality post, thanks for sharing.

Out of curiosity, where'd you get that info?

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Good game tonight guys, as I read through your GDT I noticed after it was over quite a few mentioned they didn't think it was a exciting game. Most of the Blues fans over in our GDT have the polar opposite sentiment, I thought it was a really good game between 2 really good teams. Of course the Blues don't always do the greatest in Chicago, so for them too be able to go too your home ice, hold their own and hold on to win in a shootout makes it pretty exciting if you're a Blues fan.

Only one bad call I saw tonight (Toews slashing of Polak was pretty weak) and the overreaction of a lot of fans of Jackman's hit on Kane. The hit was not malicious and Jacks even tried to pull back, don't get me wrong it was a penalty but no more of a dirty play then high sticking, elbowing or slashing.

LaPierre is a goon and a poor excuse of a player, and I wish they would get rid of him. His hit on Boyle was dirty and disgusting, but the Jackman/Kane board was nowhere near the same ballpark, and certainly wasn't meant to be dirty or premeditated like I believe LaPierre's was.

All in all good exciting game guys :thumbu: until our teams meet again ;)

Reactions: BadNewsBlues

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Quality post, thanks for sharing.

Out of curiosity, where'd you get that info?

26am.jpg

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Q: “No, awful. I didn’t like our game at all (after) the first 12 minutes,†said the Blackhawks head coach after the game, as per Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.

“Didn’t like our pace, how we turned pucks over. Didn’t get pucks to the net, didn’t generate any offense after the first.â€

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/18/coach-quenneville-rips-blackhawks-after-shootout-loss/

What does he expect when that dip shuffles lines every 5 seconds? It's hard to develop any consistency when you constantly have new linemates (what's new).

We looked good until the first penalty, but after that PP goal we just crawled into a shell. StL got more aggressive and we became more passive. We essentially let them carry the puck unabated into our zone, and once there we were very soft on pressure. We will NOT be successful in the playoffs if we continue to play this way.

I thought Pirri looked good and I thought Nordstrom had a good rebound game (didn't do anything great but he had great energy and really didn't make any mistakes). Toews was awful (in the past he hasn't scored but he's never looked this bad to start the season) and Bickell really needs to be scratched at this point. He looks unmotivated, lazy, and is a detriment every time he's out there. Q needs to take drastic measures to get him going.

Duncan Keith is a PP killer with his errant shots and inability to keep pucks in the zone. With Q's inability to use stats, logic, and reason there's little likelihood he gets dropped from the top unit.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Good game tonight guys, as I read through your GDT I noticed after it was over quite a few mentioned they didn't think it was a exciting game. Most of the Blues fans over in our GDT have the polar opposite sentiment, I thought it was a really good game between 2 really good teams. Of course the Blues don't always do the greatest in Chicago, so for them too be able to go too your home ice, hold their own and hold on to win in a shootout makes it pretty exciting if you're a Blues fan.

Only one bad call I saw tonight (Toews slashing of Polak was pretty weak) and the overreaction of a lot of fans of Jackman's hit on Kane. The hit was not malicious and Jacks even tried to pull back, don't get me wrong it was a penalty but no more of a dirty play then high sticking, elbowing or slashing.

LaPierre is a goon and a poor excuse of a player, and I wish they would get rid of him. His hit on Boyle was dirty and disgusting, but the Jackman/Kane board was nowhere near the same ballpark, and certainly wasn't meant to be dirty or premeditated like I believe LaPierre's was.

All in all good exciting game guys :thumbu: until our teams meet again ;)

I thought the boarding call on Polak (for the Kruger hit) was even more lame. Kruger lost an edge, was going down, and Polak didn't even really hit him. He braced his hand on Kruger's back to avoid him (at first glance it looks like a shove but on review he really doesn't shove Kruger much) and the ref from center ice makes the call. We couldn't capitalize though as our PP is still atrocious.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Q: “No, awful. I didn’t like our game at all (after) the first 12 minutes,†said the Blackhawks head coach after the game, as per Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.

“Didn’t like our pace, how we turned pucks over. Didn’t get pucks to the net, didn’t generate any offense after the first.â€

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/18/coach-quenneville-rips-blackhawks-after-shootout-loss/

The Quenneville post game video is here. Go to the postgame vids and choose Quenneville.

More interesting is his comment that he doesn't like coaching for offense, and that the team has to find more offense. Nothing that putting Pirri on the second line wouldn't help.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
What does he expect when that dip shuffles lines every 5 seconds? It's hard to develop any consistency when you constantly have new linemates (what's new).We looked good until the first penalty, but after that PP goal we just crawled into a shell. StL got more aggressive and we became more passive. We essentially let them carry the puck unabated into our zone, and once there we were very soft on pressure. We will NOT be successful in the playoffs if we continue to play this way.

I thought Pirri looked good and I thought Nordstrom had a good rebound game (didn't do anything great but he had great energy and really didn't make any mistakes). Toews was awful (in the past he hasn't scored but he's never looked this bad to start the season) and Bickell really needs to be scratched at this point. He looks unmotivated, lazy, and is a detriment every time he's out there. Q needs to take drastic measures to get him going.

Duncan Keith is a PP killer with his errant shots and inability to keep pucks in the zone. With Q's inability to use stats, logic, and reason there's little likelihood he gets dropped from the top unit.

The team stunk, plain and simple. The only real stand-outs were Hossa and Shaw, in my view. And yes, Q only needs to look at himself for throwing off the entire team by stupid line shuffling.
For example. Essentially benching Pirri for most of the first 2 periods after a fine snipe, made little sense. The player that needed benching was Kane. Someone mentioned that he was possibly sick, and tbh, he wasn’t the only one who played a disinterested game and looke under the weather. Sharp was bad as well. I started this thread and added that the team didn’t need motivation…. Seems I was wrong. I can’t figure out this team (or its coach) at all, and I do agree that a bag skate may be in order very soon.
I’d like to see the line of Saad, Pirri and Shaw again. They looked good early in the game but Q split them up anyway. DOH!

Nothingman*

The team stunk, plain and simple. The only real stand-outs were Hossa and Shaw, in my view. And yes, Q only needs to look at himself for throwing off the entire team by stupid line shuffling.
For example. Essentially benching Pirri for most of the first 2 periods after a fine snipe, made little sense. The player that needed benching was Kane. Someone mentioned that he was possibly sick, and tbh, he wasn’t the only one who played a disinterested game and looke under the weather. Sharp was bad as well. I started this thread and added that the team didn’t need motivation…. Seems I was wrong. I can’t figure out this team (or its coach) at all, and I do agree that a bag skate may be in order very soon.
I’d like to see the line of Saad, Pirri and Shaw again. They looked good early in the game but Q split them up anyway. DOH!

I did not understand that either. Maybe he banged Q's daughter or something. He scores then doesn't play....mostly due to the two penalties in a row.

Toews usually gets going in December. December cannot get here soon enough. Kane has seemed a little out of it the last couple games. Hossa, Saad, and Sharp looked good as has Craw.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Went and looked, Handzus is 47.5% for his career. He's 3rd in the NHL among players with 15 or more shootout goals. Q has used him once in a shootout.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Another close competitive game last night guys.

Was just curious is there a lot of unrest with Coach Q? I realize that sounds crazy with 2 cups in 4 years but just seems like you guys are always frustrated with him.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Another close competitive game last night guys.

Was just curious is there a lot of unrest with Coach Q? I realize that sounds crazy with 2 cups in 4 years but just seems like you guys are always frustrated with him.

*3 years.

Any no, there's not 'a lot of unrest'...it's just that he can be very stubborn in his approach sometimes and that irks people. for example, there is one prospect (pirri) who people would like to see get a shot at 2C (which is a hole for us) - and over the summer management indicated it would happen - but Q seems to be adamant he not receive the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad