GDT: 10/17: Hawks vs Blues - No need to motivate for this game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Another close competitive game last night guys.

Was just curious is there a lot of unrest with Coach Q? I realize that sounds crazy with 2 cups in 4 years but just seems like you guys are always frustrated with him.

A couple of follow ups: how do people feel about Kruger, Pirri and the importance of faceoffs?

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007

Was just curious is there a lot of unrest with Coach Q? I realize that sounds crazy with 2 cups in 4 years but just seems like you guys are always frustrated with him.

Hawks fans are divided on him, with some also being in the middle.

He's had some of the most stacked rosters the league has seen since the '04 lockout to work with en route to those 2 Cups - of that there is no doubt.

Quenneville makes baffling decisions sometimes. Sitting Pirri last night for no apparent reason, giving Brandon Bollig a single second of NHL icetime (although this was more of an issue in past years - Bollig is noticeably improved this season, granted that's not saying very much), refusing to take Keith off the PP where he has been terrible for years, refusing to change PP strategy at all despite it being terrible for years, juggling the lines for no apparent reason during a game regardless of the score or how the team is playing, putting a useless Handzus in the #2C role, seemingly having a personal agenda against certain players who are deserving of more opportunity than he's giving them, etc.

Canadian Wampa

Feb 1, 2012

Coaches a team with 2 top ten forwards (Kane and Toews), a top 25 forward (Hossa), a top 50 forward (Sharp) a top 5 defensemen (Keith) and a top 15 defensemen (Seabs), all of which can be offensive juggernauts, says we need more offense, but doesn't like coaching offence. I think passive is the way to sum up Q's coaching strategy, whether it's the PP, PK or ES, I don't think he fully realizes the assets this team has.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
*3 years.

Any no, there's not 'a lot of unrest'...it's just that he can be very stubborn in his approach sometimes and that irks people. for example, there is one prospect (pirri) who people would like to see get a shot at 2C (which is a hole for us) - and over the summer management indicated it would happen - but Q seems to be adamant he not receive the opportunity.

Whoops typo on my part.

Hawks fans are divided on him, with some also being in the middle.

He's had some of the most stacked rosters the league has seen since the '04 lockout to work with en route to those 2 Cups - of that there is no doubt.

Quenneville makes baffling decisions sometimes. Sitting Pirri last night for no apparent reason, giving Brandon Bollig a single second of NHL icetime (although this was more of an issue in past years - Bollig is noticeably improved this season, granted that's not saying very much), refusing to take Keith off the PP where he has been terrible for years, refusing to change PP strategy at all despite it being terrible for years, juggling the lines for no apparent reason during a game regardless of the score or how the team is playing, putting a useless Handzus in the #2C role, seemingly having a personal agenda against certain players who are deserving of more opportunity than he's giving them, etc.

Gotcha. Yeah last night's game had a different feel to it. Besides the Jackman hit and the one scrum with Polak and Bollig, it wasn't a game where guys like Reaves and Bollig were really needed.

I'm always baffled to hear your PP is struggling, especially after you scored 2 PP goals against us in a combined like 12 seconds last week :laugh:

Anyways, cheers on another close game. See you guys in December.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Honestly so far this year there hasn't been much to complain about, to me. Team is playing solid hockey but there is just too much noise to really make heads or tails of much. But the Hawks are top 5 in the league in Corsi%, Fenwick%, Shots For/Against in 5-on-5 play. So it certainly seems like there hasn't been much drop off. Goals just aren't going in very frequently....yet.

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
So far the Hawks are mediocre, their Goal Differential is a +2, compared to San Jose at +20 or even Colorados. We've left points on the board, blown leads to weak teams. Bickell has no goals and one assist in 7 games, guess hes waiting for the playoffs.

Not been a great start but forgiven considering what they've recently accomplished and it being still early in the season.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
So far the Hawks are mediocre, their Goal Differential is a +2, compared to San Jose at +20 or even Colorados. We've left points on the board, blown leads to weak teams. Bickell has no goals and one assist in 7 games, guess hes waiting for the playoffs.

Not been a great start but forgiven considering what they've recently accomplished and it being still early in the season.

And yet despite their apparently horrific start they've gotten points in six of seven games. I think the Hawks have earned the right to a semi-slow start. Besides, let me know when the juggernaut (again) Sharks or unstoppable (again) Blues do something in the spring when it really matters.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm more concerned with Colorado than St. Louis or San Jose. They still have the cap space to make a huge deal at the dealine, maybe Vanek, maybe more. Vanek and maybe a guy like Kimmo, I don't know, lots of possibilities.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
kronwall.gif
Watch absolutely nobody flip out like they did on the Lapierre hit:shakehead

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
don't get me wrong... I hope he recovers fast and can play again soon. I just rather have it being a guy like him than the others. Maybe he thinks more about his stuff now than before

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Kind of a funny time to say that after Sharp just scored a game winning SO goal a few days ago.

If you give anybody, even Bollig, enough chances on the SO they will score at least once no matter how bad they are. Sharp's career SO percentage is around 9% which is pathetic. Moreover his breakaway struggles are well known in and of themselves.

Just because he won us a game on the SO doesnt' mean he's any good at them.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

I've probably been his most vocal detractor, regardless of the results. Hansen (as usual) did a really nice summation on my frustrations of Quenneville. He gets way too much credit for the rosters he's had and not enough criticism for the areas the coach has a direct influence on (again reference Chris's post).

Simply put I think many coaches could have replicated his success with the players he's had. I think we could be unstoppable if we had a more cerebral head coach (ie one who actually makes sensible decisions).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad