GDT: 10/17/15 - 7:00PM EDT - Buffalo VS Tampa Bay

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Apologists everywhere. If you don't bow down and think everyone (other than chosen whipping boy of the season) is god's gift to hockey, well then BOO THIS MAN!

This is the same attitude people had before Boucher was fired. A few saw significant issues with his coaching, and others said "BUT WE MADE THE ECF!" I can look at what's happening on the ice and see that shit isn't happening. Unless you want to ban all hockey related discussion - because as far as I know not a single person on this forum has ever f***ing laced up skates to play at this level - discussion is what's going on.

Cooper f***ing sucks at in game adjustments. Anyone that's watched this team over his past two seasons as coach should be able to notice that. Cooper also sucks at line combos. He stuck with Killorn/Flip/Stamkos for almost an entire season last year despite the amazing ineffectiveness of that line. He backed into TKO after we lost three forwards to injury in the span of two games - pardon me for not giving him credit for that decision.

He's still a young coach though. Boucher was young and where is he now? Not here. He had a great powerplay and was 1 goal away from what I think was a Stanley Cup winning team, then a couple seasons later he's replaced by Cooper. He had veterans to deal with, established players that didn't go through what we've been through with our young guns. Cooper has had success at every level and has developed these guys in the A and now has a winning environment in what is his 4th season. It's actually pretty impressive. Just like with any job, the longer you are there, the more you learn. Its experience, he lacks some and in game adjustments are his obstacle to overcome.

As far as a personal attack, I played but yes, not at a high level, just like you. I haven't coached at a high level either, just like you. You seem hostile in a discussion. Calm down man...

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Coaching is no different from playing. You have to learn from mistakes and make adjustments to your system. If you don't then you'll never be able to bring out the best from your roster. I think we all saw Cooper's weaknesses in the playoffs last season particularly against Detroit. The question now is whether he's willing to make the necessary changes to become better as a coach. Returning to the exact same pattern of benching Drouin is a bad sign. But it's just one game. I'm not worried until we have another game or two with the same issue as before. Doesn't mean that I liked seeing it tonight but I'm still hoping it was just a one time thing.

Basically I don't care about rating him on a good or bad coaching scale. I want 2015 Cooper to be a better coach than 2014 Cooper. If he's doing everything the same way then I don't see the Bolts winning a Cup this year.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
But Macho is right, Cooper is horrible in in-game adjustments. And line combinations. And PP, but thats as much on the players as on Cooper.

Saying 'dont whine, we got no-one else' is pretty stupid considering this is a discussion board.... people have a right to voice their opinions.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Boy did we suck last night. Bishop was clearly a #1 star in last nights game which is great to see after the less than stellar outing he had against the Stars. Getting the W was the most important thing but it's a bit concerning that we have now played three bad games in a row although it's better to have these problems at the start of the season than in April. Hopefully this game helps them get back on track.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Did not deserve to win that one. Bish bailed us out big time. Shots 16-3 Buffalo after the 1st period. Against Buffalo. At home.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Bishop won this game tonight. I'm glad Coop tried something to get going, they where weird lines but its better than nothing. I do hope we go back to TKO and Cally-Stam-Drou for our next game.

ALSO we're undefeated with Sustr in the lineup this season..

200.gif

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Friggin A Mach. I went to the game and had my 2 cents to share and you left enough fire and brimstone for both of us and stole about all my thunder.

Kudos to you sir and a beautiful elbow drop while you are at it.

He's dead on guys but I agree to disagree about Cooper. The team's psyche is completely out in left field right now. I don't know who is in charge of getting these guys to planet earth but Coop singlehandedly pulled a win out of his ass. We should be on our knees kissing the man's shoes right now because he gambled on Bishop and won and resurrected Lazarus from the dead when he threw out his Dungeons and Dragons dice to figure out our line combinations.

The TKO line is dead guys. And it will continue to lay prone and vulnerable until Johnson gets his head out of outer space, Kucherov stops floating and Palat becomes more physical. They covered 80% of our mistakes because they were providing half the team's offense 5 on 5.

You think we are playing poorly? Watch how slowly they skate in REAL TIME. The "best line in hockey" was so because they were relentless on both ends of the ice. Now their idea of intensity consists of Johnson standing by the blue line (waiting to make a cross ice pass that gets turned over) Kucherov standing away from any of the action and skating in circles and Palat slowly shadowing the player with the puck hoping he loses it on his own without laying the body on him.

Until they figure their shit out, Coop did the right thing. The overall problem with the Lightning is a total unwillingness to do what made them successful last year. Prepare for the Michel Therrien/Kenny Hitchcock speech.

We REFUSE to dump it in, go along the boards, sustain pressure, start a cycle and score. Our zone entry is even worse. We just skate in circles inside the neutral zone until the winger dashes by. If they play is not there we circle the drain in the neutral zone until someone dumps the puck in and we change lines. The similarity to the "blue flush" (when we would literally swirl in circles in the neutral zone) of the Boucher era is uncanny.

The ONLY players who would chip in the puck and go after it were Brown, Killorn and Filppula last night. I remember vividly (I think in the 1st) when Filppula charged the right wing and dumped it, someobody went after it. We held it in a couple of times and the Sabres were running with their pants on fire. We actually trapped Buffalo in our zone that we finally shifted the momentum of the game in our favor. We IMMEDIATELY as a team started skating faster and better but give a couple of shifts by the TKO line and all momentum faded. It was around then that we actually got our 3 shots on goal.

My worst fear in the entire world is realized: the Lightning simply don't give a shit. They're not hungry out there and they take the ice expecting it to come easy. Worst of all, the TKO line is the biggest culprit. It's VERY CLOSE to being 2012 all over again given the amount of effort we are seeing but a few unsung heroes like Drouin, Callahan, Boyle and Brown refuse to let the team die. I don't think anything ever could be as bad as 2012 I could tell you by the Devils game (after we started 6-1 and went on a losing streak and this was our 3rd loss in a row) we were f***ed and picking top 3 because the team had outright quit trying.

Right now we are lost in the wilderness but there is still hope to get us out of it. It DOES NOT have to be 2012 right now. We're 4-2 in a very young season with a murderers row road trip coming up. This is a VERY good chance for us find our balance again and go back to being the Lightning of last year. The only thing I can guarantee is that we either will or will not be successful in that.

PS- Please no Boucher comparisons to Cooper. Boucher got what he deserved when the team finally had enough of his BS. Anyone who plays a 1-3-1 when down by 2 goals and regularly had the team playing softer than it did last night is not fit for this league. His firing was a blessing in disguise.

Cooper is a great coach. Anyone who can stand at a 4-2 record with the current toxic mentality of our players deserves a freaking medal.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I actually don't disagree with the line changes this game it needed to be done and was so bad Coop seperated TKO and put each on a separate lines. Drouin was off this game, as was every single forward except a few here and there. I don't think benching Drouin was the answer but certainly playing different line combos but they did not work , since we actually won on a lucky dirty goal on the PP.

If you look at some good things besides pulling out a win. Special teams looked better, and we did not give up another PK goal. So there is that also, lol.

I would not buy too much into this game moving forward and think the lines will go back to what they were before the game started with maybe Condra in for Brown. At least we get to sit two days of no games on a win.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
This team looks so over-confident they feel don't even need to hustle anymore like "make room peasants, we're the EC champions". We've been playing horrible hockey lately.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
There are no perfect coaching except from the sofa. Cooper is stubborn and has many weaknesses but if you look on the outside, coaches in the NHL can be frighteningly stupid, so careful with what you wish for.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Missed the game how was Koekkoek?

He looked quite good overall, displayed the complete toolkit of a 2 way dman. He can skate, he's not afraid to join the rush and makes himself available for getting shots on net, can be physical also. Well in short he's my type of player. :laugh:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
We have to look at the bright side guys. We're 4-2 playing arguably our worst hockey over a year. It's a slow start but this team is way too talented to not get it together. Don't forget it's a long season.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
liked bishop play liked brown play liked coopers coaching making changes trying something

dislike the rest namestnikov had some moments brown had moments drouin was ugghhh

everyone was uggh thought slater played ok the rest wow bad honestly it is what people are saying hey we are ech finalist we dont have to work no more unreal but the tape will do well and some yelling is needed we are not playing well at all not even b + hockey is surprising cause we are young and should be hungry and yet we are not we are not attacking either defensively or offensively and has to be fixed

hats off to cooper for doing a change up to try to wake these people up is gonna be a long season if they cannot start playing physical lightning hockey the lack of effort is extremely frustrating right now

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Koekkoek was very good last night. The -1 was not his fault. I think it was Filppula who turned the puck over along the walls. Slater was there right by the net but couldn't stop Reinhardt who stormed in and scored. Gotta give Sam the credit on that one, it was just a good goal by a player who would not be denied.

Koekkoek has a heck of a shot too. Despite the fact he shoots wide almost every time, he always aims it towards the most open space in the net. I don't care that he misses, he uses it very intelligently. He is a very smooth skater with a lot of speed to make up for his mistakes too.

Dare I say it but the young man is NHL ready and the top 4 potential is immediately noticeable.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Koekkoek was very good last night. The -1 was not his fault. I think it was Filppula who turned the puck over along the walls. Slater was there right by the net but couldn't stop Reinhardt who stormed in and scored. Gotta give Sam the credit on that one, it was just a good goal by a player who would not be denied.

Koekkoek has a heck of a shot too. Despite the fact he shoots wide almost every time, he always aims it towards the most open space in the net. I don't care that he misses, he uses it very intelligently. He is a very smooth skater with a lot of speed to make up for his mistakes too.

Dare I say it but the young man is NHL ready and the top 4 potential is immediately noticeable.

Definitely looked great, but I'd be a little cautious just yet. Players always come up from Syracuse on fire, and then they settle down a bit as the grind wears on. We'd need 10-15 games to really know what KK is ready for, same as Nesterov last year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We have to look at the bright side guys. We're 4-2 playing arguably our worst hockey over a year. It's a slow start but this team is way too talented to not get it together. Don't forget it's a long season.

I never thought I would say this but thank God we are playing the Hawks soon. Hopefully it sparks the team and gets us re-focused and hungry for payback. A hard road trip can really bring a team together.

Win the Chicago game and you'll probably see the Lightning return with some of that hustle and swagger that made them so great last year.

A 4-2 record never felt so shaky. A bad break and we're 3-3. Even a shred of heart in the Dallas and Detroit games and it could just as easily be 6-0. You just never know with these guys.

I hope Cooper gave the guys a day off to be with their family because maybe it will recharge their batteries and get them refocused. I don't know if fatigue is playing a part in this but the Lightning clearly needs something to change.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Bishop is the most important part of this franchise. He stole us a game there. I have not been impressed with the play lately. The intensity just isn't there. I think the adjustments to the D are only part of the reason. The boys need to come to play every night. Stammer needs to do a stevie Y impression and get this team to help out Bishop.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bishop is the most important part of this franchise. He stole us a game there. I have not been impressed with the play lately. The intensity just isn't there. I think the adjustments to the D are only part of the reason. The boys need to come to play every night. Stammer needs to do a stevie Y impression and get this team to help out Bishop.

What's funny is, I think Stamkos is actually trying to do that. I just don't think he has the in-game hockey IQ to be a big-time two way player.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

The most impressive with Bishop is the vast majority of the goals he allowed were either on the defense or unlucky bounces. Solid is not strong enough of a word to describe Bish so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad