10/14 New line combos...King moves to 1st line

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was thinking the same thing but I Carter on his line isn't going to make him shoot more.

I was thinking this too.

I remember in the preseason Kopitar's M.O. was to be more selfish and shoot more. Putting him with a 50-goal sniper isn't going to help that :laugh:

Vic Vinegar

Oct 27, 2009
I have a crazy idea. Why don't we wait and see how it goes tomorrow and then decide if it's a good move or if the sky is falling?

How are you getting a "sky is falling" vibe from this thread? I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that Dwight King is not at all a top 6 forward in this league. This move isn't going to singlehandedly destroy the Kings' season, but having Dwight ****ing King on the top line is far from an ideal situation.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Lineup is fine. I'm okay with the tinkering for now.

Most of you are missing the forest through the trees, though. The real issue is that we have a fourth line center making over 3 million dollars.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
How are you getting a "sky is falling" vibe from this thread? I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that Dwight King is not at all a top 6 forward in this league. This move isn't going to singlehandedly destroy the Kings' season, but having Dwight ****ing King on the top line is far from an ideal situation.

I don't have the hate for King that some do. He has been playing pretty well and I think it will be interesting to see Kopi and Carter together, and even more, I am really looking forward to seeing Brown/Richie/Williams together. Both Brown and Kopi need to get going and this could be the spark that's needed, but the fact is we aren't strong on LW so someone has to be slotted there. I doubt anyone expects King to remain as the #1 LW but something needs to be done to get these guys scoring more 5 on 5. The win in Florida was nice but the fact is, the Panthers suck so they need to do a bit of tinkering.

CanadianKingsFan14

Jan 19, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Again he has had 1 good game this year, and a few good games TWO years ago where he scored a few timely goals. The guy does not have good hands. I can't tell you how many times he's been unable to handle just a cross ice pass from his teammates.

I'm not going to really get into about how bad of a player King is, cause I don't think he's bad. He's being put into a position of failure. He needs to stay put on the 4th line where he isn't expected to do things as he is now playing with Kopitar and Carter.

let's put it this way: Do you really think King, if he spends the entire season as the 1st line Left winger, could score 25-30 goals a year? Just to put it into perspective, he's played in 86 career games, and has 10 goals. Simply put, he is not top 6 material, period.

Totally agree with everything you said. King is a good 4th liner maybe still potential to be a 3rd.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA

Most of you are missing the forest through the trees, though. The real issue is that we have a fourth line center making over 3 million dollars.

This. If anyone's dead weight on the Kings, it's number 28, not number 74.

Also, I don't understand this feeling that the 1st line is a "reward" that Dwight King hasn't earned. I think Sutter is looking to make effective line combinations, period. If it doesn't work (again) then King is off and Sutter will try something else. I'm sure a coach has other tools in his toolbox if he's looking to reward - or punish - a player anyway.

Vic Vinegar

Oct 27, 2009
I don't have the hate for King that some do. He has been playing pretty well and I think it will be interesting to see Kopi and Carter together, and even more, I am really looking forward to seeing Brown/Richie/Williams together. Both Brown and Kopi need to get going and this could be the spark that's needed, but the fact is we aren't strong on LW so someone has to be slotted there. I doubt anyone expects King to remain as the #1 LW but something needs to be done to get these guys scoring more 5 on 5. The win in Florida was nice but the fact is, the Panthers suck so they need to do a bit of tinkering.
I don't hate King either. He's looked pretty good recently, but the fact is he's a bottom six player. I get that we have a weakness at LW, but we create that problem ourselves by keeping Pearson down in the minors.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
If that was true, we wouldn't have won the cup. I'm all for experimenting with the lines..besides, Carter will still see Richards on the PP. I think the Brown/Kopitar/Williams line gets stale. In my opinion, even if it doesn't work out those guys will be happy to be back together and i'm sure will pick up their games.

The timing of this is a bit strange, especially after the best game of the year. A bit unorthodox.

My bad, I meant that as sarcasm :laugh: I do agree with the rest of your post after thinking it over.

I also agree with everyone else saying King belongs no where near the top 6, I'm all for giving a guy a reward and opportunity, but it's been proven in the past King is not a top 6 forward.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010

This. If anyone's dead weight on the Kings, it's number 28, not number 74.

I don't know. Would it make you feel better if we called Stoll's line the 3rd line? He's getting the exact same ice time as before. Furthermore, I honestly get nervous when Fraser is on the ice. I feel a lot more secure when Stoll is out there. Who knows, maybe the matchups he gets on the 4th line will help his offense. Nolan doesn't score against FL if Fraser is centering that line.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I was thinking this too.

I remember in the preseason Kopitar's M.O. was to be more selfish and shoot more. Putting him with a 50-goal sniper isn't going to help that :laugh:

Where Carter goes, the offence follows. Either he'll score the goals, or Kopitar will put in the rebounds. Doesn't really matter if they go 82 goals and 82 assists respectively.

I hear that a lot, but then I remember that our current 3rd line center is making just over 1. So I don't see a problem in the short term, because either we have a great 4C that we'll have to eventually move or Stoll rounds back into form and his role increases. Admittedly one is likelier than the other, but for now, to me, the books balance ok.

And honestly, Stoll's 3 million is the wrong 3 million to be worrying about when you consider who is wandering up and down the ice beside Drew Doughty.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I lol'd hard when I read this. Thanks for the laugh :laugh:
King is a good player, but first line duties? C'mon he's no Ivanans.

I say we convert Richards to LW and have our top line be..

Richards-Kopitar-Carter

That would be deadly.. and plus we would always win faceoffs. :nod:

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

Head hits nail.

100% right.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
And honestly, Stoll's 3 million is the wrong 3 million to be worrying about when you consider who is wandering up and down the ice beside Drew Doughty.

You're right. I retract my earlier statement. If we have a doof who can't clear our zone, nobody is going to score.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
I think it is safe to say that DL is doing everything he can to make room for at least one of our kids but as is his usual way of doing things there has to be a perfect fit. He has time to find the right partner before he makes a move so things will likely take their time before anything is done.

Hmmm odd ... did I read SHOWCASING someone ... in between those lines somewhere ? ;) maybe ? :sarcasm:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I get it!!!! At first King/Kopitar/Carter... WTF? Ok so ideally how the King/Kopitar/Carter line should go... Kopitar gets puck... springs Carter... Carter uses speed to back D off.... If Carter doesn't get a good scoring opportunity slam breaks on in the corner, allow for King/Kopitar to catch up and rip a hard shot into the pads to get the rebound past the D to King/Kopitar crashing the net...

Unfortunately how I think this will go is Carter runs up the boards and if he doesn't have a good shot he'll rip one high glove side trying to pick the corner and get it in the glove or rim it around when he misses high.

This is pretty much the Bickel/Towes/Kane idea, but one of the main plays they have counts on Kane tagging that pad with the puck for a rebound... Don't see Carter aiming for a pad to set up a rebound for King vs sniping the corner...

We'll see how this goes later today

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If Lombardi Felt Pearson was ready for an NHL top six role, he would be on the team in a top Six role.

The Kings (development brain trust, doesn't think he is ready,so far anyway).

Pearson looked great in preseason, but it's just that (preseason). Frattin looked good in preseason as well, and has largely been invisible.

So I take preseason performance with a grain of salt, the Kings collective has a much better view if someone is ready or not.

Sutter doesn't have much to work with on the Left side, King has played the best so far (even better than Brown).

So what are you going to do ? The Centers have zero goals, and the 5 on 5 scoring is terrible through 18 periods of Hockey.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I just never understand his timing. The line combos are fine here, but they just had their best game on even strength with three 5 on 5 goals. Now you switch them up? Why didn't you do this like a week ago when no one was scoring? It's like he waits for it to work and then he's like 'alright, everybody switch chairs.' It's so weird.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I just never understand his timing. The line combos are fine here, but they just had their best game on even strength with three 5 on 5 goals. Now you switch them up? Why didn't you do this like a week ago when no one was scoring? It's like he waits for it to work and then he's like 'alright, everybody switch chairs.' It's so weird.

Two Goals from Bottom Six players, that largely remind unchanged.

So it wasn't that successful, The top six changed, and it needed too.

Also it was Florida....They are a terrible team. I wouldn't rate any success against them as remarked improvement.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Two Goals from Bottom Six players, that largely remind unchanged.

So it wasn't that successful, The top six changed, and it needed too.

Also it was Florida....They are a terrible team. I wouldn't rate any success against them as remarked improvement.

It's not improvement, I understand Florida is a bad team. I just don't get why he didn't do this a game or two earlier. Carter has 4 goals and even if Richards hasn't scored, he's still been setting people up well, like in the last game. The first line had a great goal, best work I've seen from them in a while.

Whatever the lines are fine, like I said, it's the timing to me that seems off. I'd at least wait for a bad game before mixing things and it's not like we haven't had bad games this season already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad