Glencross-Richards-Carter
Carcillo/Clifford-Vey-Frattin
Lewis-Stoll-Nolan
Clifford/Carcillo

Defense would remain the same.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I like the 2nd line too, and they'll be fine. I only worry on the 1st line that having the two top players on the same line gives the opposition an easier shut down task.

Kopi said post practice that this 'new line' will be speedier on wing and that sometimes mixing it up is good.

They still have to make a choice. Brown/Williams have the same amount of goals as Carter.
I think it is more seeing if having the rotating wing will work better with Kopi vs Richards.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Because Sutter likes to tinker and it seldom works. And King doesn't belong anywhere near the top 6, sutter really has a blind eye there. First line has been playing well and JC and MR have been playing well. Mixing everything up...makes no sense. I think the 2nd line and 4th will be okay. And I wonder who TB puts the STamkos Line out against?

I have similar feelings, but ultimately I trust Sutter. He's given me no reason not to.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I think we should make a trade of something like this:

To Calgary
Muzzin
King

To Los Angeles
Glencross
3rd or 4th rd Pick

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Glencross-Richards-Carter
Carcillo/Clifford-Vey-Frattin
Lewis-Stoll-Nolan
Clifford/Carcillo

Defense would remain the same.

EFFFFF That! King is one of the most underrated guys on here. Where else you gonna find a guy with his size, who can be physical and finish when he gets the puck in a good scoring position? He's making 750K vs. Glencross at 2.55? Muzzin ain't chopped liver, either.

We have guys in the system who are going to be able to step up and take that position (starts with a P and ends with earson?).

I don't like it, I don't like it, I don't like it!

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
The ghost of Terry Murray still lives in this team! I don't agree with breaking up Richards and Carter.

If that was true, we wouldn't have won the cup. I'm all for experimenting with the lines..besides, Carter will still see Richards on the PP. I think the Brown/Kopitar/Williams line gets stale. In my opinion, even if it doesn't work out those guys will be happy to be back together and i'm sure will pick up their games.

The timing of this is a bit strange, especially after the best game of the year. A bit unorthodox.

KingKopitar11*

Maybe they want more offense out of Kopitar, despite his strong two-way play? Kopi had zero shots on goal in the previous game.

I was thinking the same thing but I Carter on his line isn't going to make him shoot more.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Other than the obvious King issue, I like the lines. Brown-Richards-Williams should be a strong two way line, great on the forecheck. A Kopitar-Carter line is going to dominate possession even with King on the line. I think it is likely to leave us with two better lines offensively than the ones we had before. We should have a very good PP too and this doesn't change that in any way.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
EFFFFF That! King is one of the most underrated guys on here. Where else you gonna find a guy with his size, who can be physical and finish when he gets the puck in a good scoring position? He's making 750K vs. Glencross at 2.55? Muzzin ain't chopped liver, either.

We have guys in the system who are going to be able to step up and take that position (starts with a P and ends with earson?).

I don't like it, I don't like it, I don't like it!

Jesus king has one good game and now hes a sniper?

It's been said many times before, he is an awesome 4th liner. Him anywhere near the top 6 is terrible.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Am I the only one who thinks the Richards/Carter-combo (regardless who their winger is) tend to have trouble 5-on-5 ? I haven't looked up the stats to back it up, but they tend to be on the ice for a lot of goals against and big chances against. Their +/- has rarely been good while on our team.

Maybe this will force the opposing team to focus less on Kopitar if he's out there with Carter and enable him to get more shots. I am kinda' looking forward to seeing the Richards line too with Brown and Williams. Richards is a fine playmaker.

The problem they have is Richards is too small and Carter isn't physical and loses the puck almost always along the boards. The third member of the line doesn't really matter so if 3 players focus on the 2 of them they're successful. I like the new combos. This is the time of season where you can play around with the lines so I'm quite excited to see them tomorrow.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
King may play every game this season no matter how bad he plays. He's definitely a Sutter favorite and it confuses me like everyone else, what he does that gets him such high praise and reward.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Jesus king has one good game and now hes a sniper?

It's been said many times before, he is an awesome 4th liner. Him anywhere near the top 6 is terrible.

Who's calling him a Sniper? I'm stating that I believe he is underrated by a lot of people here.

Why don't you look back to our Stanley Cup Finals run and watch some of those games over. King had an off year last year. I'm not saying he's playing like this every week, but he's *underrated*. The guy is big, can skate and he has good hands.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Not a fan of King being bumped up again, but I am not horrified by the lines. The bottom 6 still looks good, Kopitar and Carter have worked well together and should find success rather easily I would think, and I really like giving Richards a boost by adding Brown and especially Williams to his line. Shouldn't be a hindrance, but it depends on how long Sutter allows it to remain this way. The main problem with Murray, when he did this, was that he would change the lines like this every single game and the players were playing with someone new every game.

This might actually work. Richards gets someone who can hit. Willie can shoot while Kopi gets Carter. If Kopi is going to focus on playmaking, might as well give it to someone who can score...

But if TG is right, then Sutter could be trying to mix it up a bit before DL makes a trade. Sutter would then be able to solidify alternate line combos and have a few functional avenues should he need to make changes later.

I'm for it.. One good game by the team doesn't make a season so why not mess around with it a bit.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
King has only played 86 games in the NHL - barely more than one regular season. I really don't get the scorn.

The coach apparently likes him because he works hard and does what he asks - it's no mystery. He doesn't light up the scoreboard, but he he doesn't make boneheaded mistakes - he's dependable. Sutter hopes he can do more, and I'm willing to see how it plays out.

Sutter is experimenting with the lines because beating Florida doesn't tell him anything about his team. I mean, who doesn't beat Florida?

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
I love it. Its always frustrated me that Kopi is locked into 2 wingers that never seem to do much for him. Brown and williams shoot every time they enter the zone. I know Carter shoots all the time as well but at least his speed will stretch the d and create space for kopitar. King can go to the corners and might keep a cycle going. Carter should benefit more from kopis puck handling and cycling. Might be able to get more off the cycling. Second line can play on the rush since it seems like thats how all 3 of them get majority of offense. Could work really well. Hope we give it a few games.

Williams is the best possession winger in the league for the last 6 years. He is a great partner for Kopitar since he has the puck that much more often in the offensive zone

He should also be a great partner for Richards though for the same reasons

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Who's calling him a Sniper? I'm stating that I believe he is underrated by a lot of people here.

Why don't you look back to our Stanley Cup Finals run and watch some of those games over. King had an off year last year. I'm not saying he's playing like this every week, but he's *underrated*. The guy is big, can skate and he has good hands.

Again he has had 1 good game this year, and a few good games TWO years ago where he scored a few timely goals. The guy does not have good hands. I can't tell you how many times he's been unable to handle just a cross ice pass from his teammates.

I'm not going to really get into about how bad of a player King is, cause I don't think he's bad. He's being put into a position of failure. He needs to stay put on the 4th line where he isn't expected to do things as he is now playing with Kopitar and Carter.

let's put it this way: Do you really think King, if he spends the entire season as the 1st line Left winger, could score 25-30 goals a year? Just to put it into perspective, he's played in 86 career games, and has 10 goals. Simply put, he is not top 6 material, period.

Last edited:

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I'm not a Dwight King hater by any means, but him repeatedly getting opportunities in the top six has got to stop

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
At the moment, I'd say King would be a better winger for Kopitar than Brown. Brown is busy shaking rust off and his play has been erratic. King has looked very solid and dependable the last couple games, he'll keep it simple and hopefully give Kopitar and easier linemate to play off of. Throwing Carter on the other wing never hurts a center's game either. I've wanted to see Kopitar and Carter together for a while, could be fun.

2nd line should be fine; Williams and Brown's combined creativity should give Richards more onus to finish plays rather than worry about setting them up.

And most importanrtly, the effective bottom 6 has been left alone. I like the changes and I like what was left intact.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I have a crazy idea. Why don't we wait and see how it goes tomorrow and then decide if it's a good move or if the sky is falling?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad