OT: 10,000 Pt XLIV - Guitar Things

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
I think Demon Slayer's a good shonen battle manga but I think I don't particularly click with shonen battle mangas.
I find it enthralling on an epic level which manga like MHA could never hope to aspire to despite using emotionally manipulative content constantly.

But then again.

kimetsu-no-yaiba-movie-mugen-ressha-hen-kyojuro-rengoku.gif

Love me a quality bento box

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Haikyu season 3 might be one of the greatest seasons of all anime.
I haven't been able to get into the sport based ones for some reason.

I love that show.. after the whole funimation/crunchy rollup I don't even know where I'm at. I'm so basic with my dubs.
I like dub because it let's me actually watch the show. I don't mind subtitles, but I find myself rewinding a bit so I can watch instead of read.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I read it before I watched the animations. I love anime. Bleach is probably my favorite of all time.

I totally get you on the characters in Demon Slayer. Tanjiro and Nezuko are great. Tanjiro's sense of duty is a big story driver and Nezuko's innocent until she flips to straight badass (she's sooooo bad ass, but it takes awhile for her to figure things out). She's one of those, "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" sorts.

I found Inosuke and Zenitsu hugely annoying when introduced but after reading for a while I grew attached to them. Like really attached to them. It took awhile tho. I remember bitching to the folks that recommended it to me because those two were so f***ing annoying to start with. I nearly stopped reading because of how annoying they are at the beginning. I've not read the whole thing yet. I think I'd have not liked the animation as much if I hadn't already read far enough to appreciate Zenitsu and Inosuke.

I absolutely love the way the demons are represented also. So much imagination. I didn't find Zenitsu and Inosuke tolerable until like chapter 25 or 30 and I was completely hooked at that point. There's a bit of situational comedy as well, which I absolutely love.

Note the panels are top to bottom but right to left in orientation. Took me a minute to get used to that and it f***s with me when I go back to it after not reading it for a few days.
Yeah over quarantine ive become an anime and manga megafan. Really didnt think it was in the cards for me but ive seen a lot since then.

For demon slayer ill probably keep watching when the anime releases but I dont think im interested enough to read through the manga.

I think Demon Slayer's a good shonen battle manga but I think I don't particularly click with shonen battle mangas.
I didnt like battle mangas much but since reading One Piece its easily become one of my favorites.

Reactions: Grave and landshark

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
I haven't been able to get into the sport based ones for some reason.

I like dub because it let's me actually watch the show. I don't mind subtitles, but I find myself rewinding a bit so I can watch instead of read.
I mainly watch dubs if I watch a sub its because I got so into the dub I wanted to see what happened. Demon Slayer, Bleach, MHA and the Reincarnation stuff are all that's ever happened for. Honestly after I moved to CR I found a lot of great stuff I like. Stuff like Death March or How to Summon a Demon Lord,.

Also in terms of animation Jujutsu Kaisen has everyone beat
1a58a026260359573c85955eaf2de8ac.gif

Its been hard not to watch the season 2 sub of Tokyo Revengers cause that whole show was partially my
childhood.

jujutsu-kaisen-sorcery-fight.gif

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I mainly watch dubs if I watch a sub its because I got so into the dub I wanted to see what happened. Demon Slayer, Bleach, MHA and the Reincarnation stuff are all that's ever happened for. Honestly after I moved to CR I found a lot of great stuff I like. Stuff like Death March or How to Summon a Demon Lord,.

I was recommended JJK after Demon Slayer and it's definitely solid and I'll continue watching it when season 2 is out, but that's the show I would agree with the argument where unlike Demon Slayer, I'm not really invested in any of the main cast yet.

I'm pretty mainstream and not really too much into the other anime like my brother and cousins. After JJK, Demon Slayer, and Haikyu, the only other ones I watched were like HxH, Death Note, and Yu Yu Hakusho (and like DBZ of course). Whereas they're watching things like Spy Family, Summertime Render, etc. I also never really got into MHA or AoT.

Reactions: landshark and Grave

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
I was recommended JJK after Demon Slayer and it's definitely solid and I'll continue watching it when season 2 is out, but that's the show I would agree with the argument where unlike Demon Slayer, I'm not really invested in any of the main cast yet.

I'm pretty mainstream and not really too much into the other anime like my brother and cousins. After JJK, Demon Slayer, and Haikyu, the only other ones I watched were like HxH, Death Note, and Yu Yu Hakusho (and like DBZ of course). Whereas they're watching things like Spy Family, Summertime Render, etc. I also never really got into MHA or AoT.
I'd say check out stuff like Tokyo Revengers, Dr Stone, Goblin Slayer, Shield Hero. I do like Spy Family and Ranking of Kings ( they both kinda fall into that same category for me ) which is a first I don't generally watch those shows. Stuff like Food Wars and Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Pushed me out of my boundaries a bit and I'm pretty happy about it.

I think the biggest surprises for me were Overlord(first manga ive bought), Jobless Reincarnation and Tokyo Revengers.

JJK & Demon Slayer are just full of production value and content its hard not to enjoy them. Also that new JJK movie was gnarly had some great animation... and the panda. I f***ing love the panda lol

Reactions: landshark

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'd say check out stuff like Tokyo Revengers, Dr Stone, Goblin Slayer, Shield Hero. I do like Spy Family and Ranking of Kings ( they both kinda fall into that same category for me ) which is a first I don't generally watch those shows. Stuff like Food Wars and Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Pushed me out of my boundaries a bit and I'm pretty happy about it.

I think the biggest surprises for me were Overlord(first manga ive bought), Jobless Reincarnation and Tokyo Revengers.

JJK & Demon Slayer are just full of production value and content its hard not to enjoy them. Also that new JJK movie was gnarly had some great animation... and the panda. I f***ing love the panda lol
I feel really bad considering your profile pic, but Tokyo revengers was one of my least favorite things I have watched.

Jobless Reincarnation is amazing other than the bit of weird stuff, demon slayer and JJK both have awesome fights but uninteresting character development to me. One recent one I enjoyed was 86, kind of a deep war show about kids in these spider mech tank things.

Im a sucker for the older stuff so Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion are some of my favorites.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
I feel really bad considering your profile pic, but Tokyo revengers was one of my least favorite things I have watched.

Jobless Reincarnation is amazing other than the bit of weird stuff, demon slayer and JJK both have awesome fights but uninteresting character development to me. One recent one I enjoyed was 86, kind of a deep war show about kids in these spider mech tank things.

Im a sucker for the older stuff so Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion are some of my favorites.
Akira, Princess Mononoke, Cowboy Bebop and Dragon Ball are what got me into anime. Oh and Hellsing, the new Hellsing is much better but back then Hellsing ruled especially if you were a little goth kid.

Nothing wrong with not liking an anime, I enjoyed Revengers it came out of nowhere for me. I thought I was watching a true yakuza anime and it was about these kids.. I was so amused and it hit me on every note. Stuff like that was a big departure from what I normally watch, also started watching stuff like How not to summon a demon lord, weakest crest, toilet bound..

Also Mob Psycho rules, I hate the art but its hilarious. Other weird shit I like are like Polar Bear Cafe and
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Akira, Princess Mononoke, Cowboy Bebop and Dragon Ball are what got me into anime. Oh and Hellsing, the new Hellsing is much better but back then Hellsing ruled especially if you were a little goth kid.

Nothing wrong with not liking an anime, I enjoyed Revengers it came out of nowhere for me. I thought I was watching a true yakuza anime and it was about these kids.. I was so amused and it hit me on every note. Stuff like that was a big departure from what I normally watch, also started watching stuff like How not to summon a demon lord, weakest crest, toilet bound..

Also Mob Psycho rules, I hate the art but its hilarious. Other weird shit I like are like Polar Bear Cafe and
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Totally agree, anime will have you watching stuff you wouldve never thought you would like. Ive probably seen like 10 romcoms now and thats a genre I hate everywhere but anime.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Totally agree, anime will have you watching stuff you wouldve never thought you would like. Ive probably seen like 10 romcoms now and thats a genre I hate everywhere but anime.
Yeah I got into K-On and Zombie Land Saga from my GF. Now I can't stop watching it with her.
Akira is hugely overrated. There I said it.

Visually it's amazing but otherwise it's a mess.
I can see it, still love it. It was one of the first time I smoked as well so the whole kids room scene almost made me lose my mind.

Also that Akira bike is still f***ing legendary.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I can see it, still love it. It was one of the first time I smoked as well so the whole kids room scene almost made me lose my mind.

Also that Akira bike is still f***ing legendary.

The first time I watched it was when I recorded it off a movie channel in the middle of the night because I wasn't staying up until like 3am for it. Only it turned out that the program guide's time listings were off for some reason so the recording started a half hour before the movie and cut off the last 15-20 minutes or so. I didn't realize it was going to cut off when I was watching so I went along until the recording stopped and I was like "dammit! I missed the end, it would've been nice to get all the confusing and messy parts of it cleared up."

a couple months later it was on again and I recorded teh whole thing and got to watch the end.

It didn't really help. :laugh:

Like, I'm glad I watched it because I know how important it is but other than the visual spectacle I think it gets way more praise than it deserves.

and I can at least appreciate it for giving some guy the idea to make a short proof-of-concept Akira x Transformers mashup animation :laugh:

Honestly I haven't kept up with most anime over the last 10-15 years. I watched all the stuff that was big in the mid-late 90s and early 2000s like Dragon Ball, a couple of Gundam shows, Bleach, Naruto, some of the various follow-the-leader Pokemon knockoffs, etc. But most of that ended up falling away. One of the last things I gave up on was Bleach during a huge filler arc and so I switched over to reading the manga just to see where it was going to go because by that point there was already the promise that it would be ending and not just continuing forever. By the end of the series I was basically hate-reading it because I couldn't stand how it chose to play everything out (Like there was a point somewhere around the middle where Ichigo had been demonstrated to have the powers of basically every major group of empowered characters in the series and I jokingly said to someone "I swear to god if he manifests Quincy powers at some point I'm out." And then what was the big reveal right at the end?

I don't know if I could ranks a big list of favorites but I did like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (I enjoyed it more than the movies and I think my attachment to SAC's English voice cast spoiled me for anything else because I could not watch Arise with its wonky different art style and different actors.). I mostly enjoyed Dragon Ball Z even if it's pretty much every shonen action anime cliche ever now. And the one series that I think does not get enough love for how it handled what it was is Medabots. It knew it was a goofy, dumb Pokemon clone so it just ran with it and went as silly as it possibly could and was all the better for it. Still kind of sad the franchise never got hold over here because I would kill for an updated Medabots video game. Oh, an Samurai Pizza Cats. But only the english dub because it's just the right kind of wacky to make up for the fact that the original Japanese wouldn't really work outside of Japan because it's nothing but cultural and historical gags.

I don't watch much anime anymore but I do read a ton of scanlated manga even if most of it is generic isekai action trash or silly comedy things. A lot of it I would never recommend to anyone but it's kind of become this weird sunk cost thing where it's like "well I've been with it this long so it'd be a waste if I just cut and run now."

I think overdosing on shonen action stuff has kind of poisoned me for the genre because now I aggressively roll my eyes at every paint-by-numbers cliche that gets trotted out. And maybe the weird cultural dissonance where Japan somehow treats it as acceptable if a lead character is a self-absorbed egotistical asshole if his egotism and asshole nature are in service of believing he has to be the hero and save everyone. Like.... no. You screaming at your friends and partners that they don't understand that it's your duty to go fight someone even though you don't need to or pretending that every bad thing that's been done is a personal slight against you specifically that needs to be avenged.

Disliking a lot shonen anime tropes has made it hard for me to go and watch all the various Transformers anime from over the years. As of right now I've watched 7 of the 8 major series that were made in Japan and honestly only like 3 of them were any good. In fairness, those 3 I thought were all quite enjoyable overall in different ways but the ones that weren't were just the worst. Whether it was the one with the lead character who was the shonen-iest action hero ever (Headmasters) or the one that desperately wanted to be a Super Sentai/Power Rangers type show instead of Transformers (Super-God Masterforce) or the one that was a nothing plot with mostly boring characters (Beast Wars II) or the one that was a repetitive, confusing mess of non-plot with the most infuriatingly awful characters (SuperLink aka Energon). I see a lot of Transformers fans that whinge about the state of the modern shows (with cause. War For Cybertron on Netflix was a soulless, dreary slog and I haven't even watched the 2nd or 3rd seasons) and cry out for Japan to get another crack at the franchise because they think that anime producers can do no wrong. And I just laugh because I've watched them do plenty wrong. And because westerners watching anime and assuming everything that gets exported represents the full breadth of the industry and it's therefore awesome will never not be funny. Because of course importers aren't going to waste their time buying and translating the absolute mountains of mediocre dreck that gets made.

I'm right there with you. I am not a sappy romantic comedy real movie person at all but I've read several romcom manga that I thoroughly enjoyed. I loved Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa (aka "My Monster Secret" in English) even though its major plot line is high school romance (just with monsters and aliens and time travel and crazy nonsense.)

And it's not a romance because it's a comedy about a little kid and her family/neighbors, but I enjoy the hell out of Yotsuba&! Especially the early chapters. The chapter where she watches a mafia movie with her dad and then goes on a vengeance rampage in the neighbors' house with a squirt gun was absolutely hilarious.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

1a58a026260359573c85955eaf2de8ac.gif

Its been hard not to watch the season 2 sub of Tokyo Revengers cause that whole show was partially my
childhood.

jujutsu-kaisen-sorcery-fight.gif
Same, subbed is a last resort type sitch. I guess I'm willing to wait, but if there's just not going to be a dub release I'll do subs. I should prolly just f'ing learn Japanese already.

That's no sexual harrassment panda...
SHP.gif

Def gonna check those out. Regarding Tokyo Revengers, I've not seen it, but from the gif seems like a tough childhood.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

I feel like I've watched at least two seasons of Demon Slayer.

Yah, season one, then Mugen Train arc as a movie and then season 2. They've confirmed the gang is getting back together for a season 3 as well. But the movie that comes after season one is out there as is season 2.

Also, if you've not seen Bleach it's pretty super.

EDIT: Hrm, I might have misread that. Sorry if so. This is why I prefer dub. None of that reading comprehension stuff getting in the way of my good time.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
One of my favorites. At first I thought it was slow but once it ramps up its so good.
For sure. And the animation itself isn't really anything super, but the story is sooo freaking good and twisty.

Just subscribed to crunchyroll. Tired of fighting with my kodi setup. Case Closed is one of my faves also. It was on the screen and I always forget about it.

Lupin III might be my favorite of all time of any sort of animated anything.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2