OT: 10,000 Pt XLIV - Guitar Things

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Going off of my Kirby figures, recently got a couple of these from random stores. Sucker for knock-off lego figures too and weebin up my place.

lego.jpg

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Rubio's fish taco is by far their best item

Porto's completely lives up to the hype and I stop there every time i go to SoCal... used to go to the Glendale one out of tradition, but last trip I went to the West Covina one and it's way, way better

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Rubio's fish taco is by far their best item

Porto's completely lives up to the hype and I stop there every time i go to SoCal... used to go to the Glendale one out of tradition, but last trip I went to the West Covina one and it's way, way better
Yeah I went to the West Covina one too. Always a long line, but it moves surprisingly quickly.
The neighboring shopping mall there is trash though. :laugh:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We try to get some potato balls, cheese rolls, and some cubanos whenever we pass by Portos.

They started shipping select deli stuff frozen so we were doing that mid-covid but obviously fresh from the deli is way better

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
We try to get some potato balls, cheese rolls, and some cubanos whenever we pass by Portos.

They started shipping select deli stuff frozen so we were doing that mid-covid but obviously fresh from the deli is way better
Cheese rolls, guava/cheese strudels, and chicken croquettes for me.
And yeah, I'll probably order their delivery next time I get a craving. Looks to be about $4 more per dozen than if you were to buy it in store, not including shipping costs. Not awful.

A Raising Cane's opened in the Bay Area today too. Too bad it's in Oakland.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Cheese rolls, guava/cheese strudels, and chicken croquettes for me.
And yeah, I'll probably order their delivery next time I get a craving. Looks to be about $4 more per dozen than if you were to buy it in store, not including shipping costs. Not awful.
IMO the guava strudels don't handle being frozen very well unfortunately.

Reactions: WTFetus

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
A Raising Cane's opened in the Bay Area today too. Too bad it's in Oakland.
It's pretty good actually, but I wish they had a variety of sauces as The Chicken Shack, a mostly local "chain" (franchise model, also appears to have locations in the Central Valley) w/ chicken tenders does.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I really didn't think that I'd miss Raising Canes as much as I'd miss BBQ once I came back from Texas. The lack of good chicken tenders is a major failing of the bay area.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
It's pretty good actually, but I wish they had a variety of sauces as The Chicken Shack, a mostly local "chain" (franchise model, also appears to have locations in the Central Valley) w/ chicken tenders does.
I've only ever had it one time when I worked in SoCal, but yeah I thought it was pretty good. Was going to get it again as a late night craving in Vegas (no dinner necessary after Sakana for lunch :laugh:) but the one on the strip was closed.

Seems like Shake Shack is the franchise that's making headway in the peninsula. They already have three in San Jose, Stanford, and Hillsdale, with one more reportedly opening up at Stonestown in SF. Think I'd prefer Habit or even Smashburger over it though (and I/O and Five Guys).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Going off of my Kirby figures, recently got a couple of these from random stores. Sucker for knock-off lego figures too and weebin up my place.

View attachment 569390

What are the two on the inside between the Adventure Time characters and (I assume) the Snorlax? I'm either going to go "oh yeah, now I see it." or "I never watched/played that."

Otherwise that's fun.

Meanwhile my only ongoing nerdy shelf decorations are exactly what you'd expect: more Transformers.

Got one more big Dinobot added to the collection since they're doing one a year right now. So now Sludge (the brontosaurus) joins Grimlock (t-rex) and Slag (triceratops). Also featuring some other characters in the foreground including Bumblebee that turns into his air-car/flying saucer thing from the original cartoon pilot episode (I still don't have a proper VW beetle Bumblebee because the only one they're produced in the last 30 years or so was a Walmart exclusive like 3 years ago tied to the mostly awful Netflix show that only barely made it to Canada)

Forgive the bad camera work, I couldn't set up proper lighting so it was all done with a flash.

Dinobots.jpg

I've also got the cast of the original movie in the works.

The Autobots:

Autobots.jpg

And the Decepticons (ignoring the bot on the throne in the back. That's an in-joke for the people I chat with on a Transformers message board

Decepticons.jpg

I have a lot of toy robots :laugh:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
What are the two on the inside between the Adventure Time characters and (I assume) the Snorlax? I'm either going to go "oh yeah, now I see it." or "I never watched/played that."
Demon Slayer anime. Goes with my other nerdy anime figurines :laugh:.

Used to love looking at the Transformers section at Target/ToysRUs, but I think Optimus Prime might be my only transformers toy (the iteration that can combine with Ultra Magnus if that even specifies anything). Have a ton of old Beast Wars somewhere in storage though. Only ones I have out are my recent purchases of remade Beast Wars from the War for Cybertron toyline.

So tempted to buy that Optimus Prime lego though.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Ok, so it was option 2. I haven't seen that.

Used to love looking at the Transformers section at Target/ToysRUs, but I think Optimus Prime might be my only transformers toy (the iteration that can combine with Ultra Magnus if that even specifies anything). Have a ton of old Beast Wars somewhere in storage though. Only ones I have out are my recent purchases of remade Beast Wars from the War for Cybertron toyline.

Those are still going strong(ish). The new line, Legacy, is supposed to have Tarantulas and Inferno. And I think somewhere is supposed to sell Terrorsaur painted up like the original toy (instead of the already-released Amazon-exclusive that was done up to look like the cartoon model). Part of the gimmick of the Legacy line this year is that it features characters based heavily on notable versions from other past shows ranging from Beast Wars to the 2000s anime series.

the War For Cybertron line did release almost all the Beast Wars cast from the first season of the show aside from the two mentioned above. Most of them are pretty good. Except Rhinox, who has the single most infuriating leg transformation I've ever seen. It's like they're begging people to break it during transformation because it's so infuriatingly fiddly.

And an Optimus Prime that combines with Ultra Magnus would almost certainly be from the 2001 "Robots in Disguise" anime series that Hasbro mostly likes to pretend never happened (because they never actually wanted to air it here. They just needed something to fill the dead air in between Beast Machines and the 2003 "Unicron Trilogy" of anime that they were co-developing with Takara. This was a last-minute decision after their plans to do a 3rd series that followed Beast Wars/Machines fell through for reasons that I don't think anyone's ever elaborated on). That's kind of cool. It was a decent enough cartoon even if it got butchered severely after having the terrible, terrible, coincidental bad luck of airing an episode that featured the Decepticons demolishing buildings in a modern high-rise-laden city on, of all dates, September 11, 2001.

If it's not that there's an extreme outside shot it's from the 2003-2005 trilogy of anime series, but that's unlikely because the combining Optimus had different partner bots in the first show (Overload and Jetfire) and the Ultra Magnus in this instance was just Overload repainted in blue/white/red and sold in extremely limited quantities in the US because all the copies ended up in England for some reason.

me too. I'm not sure I can justify that much money but it's so tempting. I already used up my "once-per-year big ticket Transformer" budget on something else.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Demon Slayer sooooooo good. Want more!!!

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Its a tough one for me. Theres no denying its beautifully animated but I cant get into the characters at all.
I read it before I watched the animations. I love anime. Bleach is probably my favorite of all time.

I totally get you on the characters in Demon Slayer. Tanjiro and Nezuko are great. Tanjiro's sense of duty is a big story driver and Nezuko's innocent until she flips to straight badass (she's sooooo bad ass, but it takes awhile for her to figure things out). She's one of those, "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" sorts.

I found Inosuke and Zenitsu hugely annoying when introduced but after reading for a while I grew attached to them. Like really attached to them. It took awhile tho. I remember bitching to the folks that recommended it to me because those two were so f***ing annoying to start with. I nearly stopped reading because of how annoying they are at the beginning. I've not read the whole thing yet. I think I'd have not liked the animation as much if I hadn't already read far enough to appreciate Zenitsu and Inosuke.

I absolutely love the way the demons are represented also. So much imagination. I didn't find Zenitsu and Inosuke tolerable until like chapter 25 or 30 and I was completely hooked at that point. There's a bit of situational comedy as well, which I absolutely love.

Note the panels are top to bottom but right to left in orientation. Took me a minute to get used to that and it f***s with me when I go back to it after not reading it for a few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad