OT: 10,000 Pt XLIII - The Ultimate Raw Deal (or LS's House of the Dead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Watching some of the 1996 WC, so physical and sloppy. Yes, hooking and holding stifled some the offense and creativity, but I can't help but feel like these superstar players would be lost in today's NHL.

The slower pace sure made goaltending more fun though

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
Is La Croix a SoCal thing? I like Pelligrino, but I swear I've never heard of la croix in the bay area.

I see it a lot in the bay area. A person I knew through marriage in Alabama loves the stuff so it seems to be in other places.

I don't really care for it but I'm not really into any of the almost water stuff.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Pellegrino or bust.

But like none of the lounges where I worked in NorCal had La Croix. But they're literally in every fridge in SoCal.

La Croix is a staple when it comes to some of the Instagram vanity people here by the ocean in SoCal. Its an OC requirement

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Most Eastside Hockey Manager Playtime Ladder (Worldwide) • Steam Ladder

giphy.gif

Reactions: Mafoofoo

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Speaking of EHM, I've been having some real weird RNG stuff happening with player development. There's a guy I drafted in the 7th round, and eventually left him unsigned. He would stay on the free agent list for 5 years never having played a game, and then I check in on him at his 26 YO season and he's a bonafide first line PWF. It's kinda nuts. I've also gotten into the habit of signing random dudes in the like 4th tier german leagues that have somehow taken another development step at 30.

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
Speaking of EHM, I've been having some real weird RNG stuff happening with player development. There's a guy I drafted in the 7th round, and eventually left him unsigned. He would stay on the free agent list for 5 years never having played a game, and then I check in on him at his 26 YO season and he's a bonafide first line PWF. It's kinda nuts. I've also gotten into the habit of signing random dudes in the like 4th tier german leagues that have somehow taken another development step at 30.

Player development is pretty random past like the top 20. I've seen 7th rounders end up as the best player a couple of times. I also won the cup like 3 years in a row, so decided to make teams more challenging with EHM Assistant (recommended). I pretty much use it to help out the shit teams, by editing player abilities, so the guy they drafted 1st ova is a top liner out the gate. I think I made Tampa too strong though. They've beaten me last 2 SCF, and my team wins like 70 games a season...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Player development is pretty random past like the top 20. I've seen 7th rounders end up as the best player a couple of times. I also won the cup like 3 years in a row, so decided to make teams more challenging with EHM Assistant (recommended). I pretty much use it to help out the shit teams, by editing player abilities, so the guy they drafted 1st ova is a top liner out the gate. I think I made Tampa too strong though. They've beaten me last 2 SCF, and my team wins like 70 games a season...
I've been doing my own coaching tactics which has basically made every other team irrelevant (15 cup dynasty, 70 win seasons) so I generally have to make different goals for myself. Like nowadays, I just try to seed as many other teams with my own drafted players as possible. So I've had guys who were depth players for me go to Anaheim and Ottawa be franchise players for them. In terms of drafting, when I look at my own team, most of them are from the top 90 of their draft.

I kinda have to avoid EHMAssistant cuz I usually just end up cheating for myself but I think raising the salary cap and floor by like 20m has helped to make some of the other teams nearly as broken as my own. Although your idea of making the 1OA broken sounds fun.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I thought I was gaming alot based on the achievements earned leaderboard on xbox live. And then I saw @slocal leapfrog me :laugh:

:wg:

lol, I was on a tear the past four days. I have a lot of free time with the creative traffic jam going on in the other department.

Plus, it's damn nice to finally play some Square Enix games on the Xbox.

Reactions: Mafoofoo

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

What the f*** is this ridiculous load of bulls***?

"Hey, I have an idea: Let's take the most seminal courtroom drama in TV history and re-make that. Except we'll change everything about it but the names, so it'll be about a broken, damaged, down-and-out WWI vet detective instead of a lawyer and he'll be investigating some sort of unspeakable crimes on his own instead of defending clients in a courtroom. Genius! Now let's go roll around on a big pile of money that HBO raked in from phoning in the last couple seasons of Game of Thrones."

Sorry :laugh:. I have strong memories of watching Perry Mason reruns as a kid with my grandma, so it's been one of my favorite TV series ever since then. Also I'll never not love something that had Raymond Burr in it because he was awesome. Like the time on the set of the 1985 Godzilla movie he returned for where a marketing executive wanted him to insert a product plug for Dr. Pepper into a scene and his response was apparently not to raise his voice, or storm off, or angrily rant about being asked to do something so dumb, but instead it was simply to glare at the guy in silence until he backed down and never tried to make him do something like that ever again.

Those factors make me a little salty about them playing too much with what made Perry Mason the show that it was and not just "generic gritty crime drama #5,329"

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I have not read the books that the Perry Mason original TV series (1957-66; TV movies 1985-1993 reprised the role) was based on. Perhaps the original books were set post WWII and this series is trying to recapture the original books?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I have not read the books that the Perry Mason original TV series (1957-66; TV movies 1985-1993 reprised the role) was based on. Perhaps the original books were set post WWII and this series is trying to recapture the original books?

The books may have been set around that time (post-WWI, not II. I believe the new series is supposed to be early 30s/depression-era LA based on the look of everything) but it's my understanding that Perry was never just a detective in the books. Always a lawyer. Though the first book, "The Case of the Velvet Claws" apparently had no courtroom material at all, it was still meant to be a law-based and lawyer-based story with at least the big 3 members of the traditional cast all more or less occupying the same roles they had on the TV series (Perry as the lawyer, Paul Drake as the PI, Della Street as Perry's confidential legal secretary/aide). Earle Stanley Gardner was a lawyer by trade before he started writing, and based on what I've read his specific interests in law heavily informed what he wrote into the Perry Mason works. He wasn't a detective, police or private, and he stayed within his wheelhouse of familiarity and expertise when writing his material.

What's more is that in the 40s and 50s there was a Perry Mason radio series that was known somewhat for deviating from the focus on the novels and having a greater interest in detective work and exciting action and less (at times almost no) focus on courtroom drama. Stories I've seen suggested that Gardner hated this and detested the further meddling that network heads acted upon the series, so that when it was due to be adapted by ABC into a TV series in the mid 50s as most popular radio shows of the time were doing in order to survive, and Gardner found out that they were going to make further changes to the series to make it "more suited" for the TV audience, Gardner balked and refused to license the rights to the Mason name and all its associated IPs to ABC.

So ABC took the work they had done, scrubbed off all the Perry Mason related names and markings, and created the show anyway under the name "The Edge of Night". And it ran as a daytime soap for 30 years. until the 1980s. It even, for a time, starred John Larkin (the radio voice of Perry in the final years of that incarnation of the show) in the primary role of the character who was their Perry Mason in all but name. But it was about a detective-turned-lawyer who fought for his clients and was more involved initially in the street-level goings on of the cases. In fact, it sounds a hell of a lot more like what this new series is supposed to be than Gadner's books or the eventual Mason TV series/movies.

The CBS series only came about because the studio agreed to let Gardner have a more active role in shaping it, up to and including the fact that he basically hand-picked Raymond Burr for the title role based on the auditions they reviewed and in spite of the fact that studio executives were not keen on Burr in the part (believing him to be ill-suited for the role since he was normally known for playing 'heavies' in noir works and the like) and had designs on more traditional hollywood leading men. Gardner was seemingly so supportive of the series that he allowed them to adapt several of his shorts and novels into plots for episodes and he even appeared in the series finale in a cameo as the judge for the final case that was tried.

Don't get me wrong, this new show might turn out to be interesting. Noir-ish classic detective yarns are always fun. But it can be a good series and a bad Perry Mason work at the same time.

Maybe they would've been better off if they had adapted a proper detective source material instead, like Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe, or Barrie Craig. Hell, this seems like it'd be right up the alley of a Philip Marlowe type mystery since it's set in early-20th-century Los Angeles.

Reactions: LadyStanley
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad