OT: 10,000 Pt XLIII - The Ultimate Raw Deal (or LS's House of the Dead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Is this the thread where I can ask about anything? I am heading to Santa Clara at the end of the month and was looking for suggestions on things to do in the Santa Clara / San Jose / San Fran area. I am interest in any type of tours, breweries (I love craft beer!), dispensaries to check out, places to eat, etc.

Really excited to make my first trip out to Cali!!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
tealpuck.com/travelFAQ.html

But I moved out of area more than 2 years ago, and haven't updated too much.

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Is this the thread where I can ask about anything? I am heading to Santa Clara at the end of the month and was looking for suggestions on things to do in the Santa Clara / San Jose / San Fran area. I am interest in any type of tours, breweries (I love craft beer!), dispensaries to check out, places to eat, etc.

Yeah, this is our off-topic thread.

@drunksage I think is a beer enthusiast.

Reactions: drunksage

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

If you're willing to make the trip to Santa Rosa, that's where Russian River is. Get a couple bottles of Pliny. If not, there's a burger place in Santa Clara that has Pliny on thursdays called St. Johns.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish

I like Fieldwork. You may consider their San Mateo taproom / beer garden because it's in that vague geographical area. I'm not familiar with SF but you can get a lot of good flights and cans/bottles in the SJ area (please reply so I can expand on this if necessary).

I don't do a lot of SF, so my food recommendations are more SJ-based. Without any country/style specifications, my current go-to recommendations are Falafel's Drive-In (large falafel pita w/ banana shake) and Ramen Nagi (been to Santa Clara but Palo Alto should be equal). Also, the Vietnamese scene should be examined , probably Pho Papa for pho, Bun Bo Hue An Nam for the namesake spicy Central VN noodle dish, or Thien Long for a more generalist approach.

I'm sure that I've forgotten about stuff, so feel free to reply or PM.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I like Fieldwork. You may consider their San Mateo taproom / beer garden because it's in that vague geographical area. I'm not familiar with SF but you can get a lot of good flights and cans/bottles in the SJ area (please reply so I can expand on this if necessary).

I don't do a lot of SF, so my food recommendations are more SJ-based. Without any country/style specifications, my current go-to recommendations are Falafel's Drive-In (large falafel pita w/ banana shake) and Ramen Nagi (been to Santa Clara but Palo Alto should be equal). Also, the Vietnamese scene should be examined , probably Pho Papa for pho, Bun Bo Hue An Nam for the namesake spicy Central VN noodle dish, or Thien Long for a more generalist approach.

I'm sure that I've forgotten about stuff, so feel free to reply or PM.

Thanks to everyone!!!

As for this... I would definitely love some expansion on the good flights and cans/bottles in the SJ area. Feel free to PM me if you feel like we'd be cluttering up this board, but figured I would respond on here in case anyone else wanted to comment.

Thanks again!!

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Thanks to everyone!!!

As for this... I would definitely love some expansion on the good flights and cans/bottles in the SJ area. Feel free to PM me if you feel like we'd be cluttering up this board, but figured I would respond on here in case anyone else wanted to comment.

Thanks again!!

Southgate Liquors is pretty god tier for the hypest cans from (relatively) local breweries such as Moonraker and Alvarado Street, as well as everything else which you can sniff in-market. Might also consider Cask & Flask, Royal Liquors, or IBU in Milpitas.

Speaking of IBU, they do have a great tap selection, and so does their sister restaurant next door named Stuft Pizza. The most expensive beers are excluded from flights (currently $18 for 6 tasters), but you'll still have a great variety.

The Running Shop and Hops is out of the way in Morgan Hill, but they also have flights at that price during daytime or so (as of Thanksgiving weekend) and nothing is excluded AFAIK. If sampling from upwards of 86 draft beers sounds like a good time though, you might wanna check it out. (Note that their bottles/cans are really pricey though.)

Other spots which I know have flights or at least good tasters are Smoke Eaters (cheaper at Almaden Expy location than Santa Clara last I checked) and Out of the Barrel.

Also, Toronado in SF is considered a legendary beer bar, but I've never been and they probably don't do flights. As for downtown San Jose spots (not convenient normally, but good for hockey trips) which I haven't visited, Original Gravity and Good Karma are in downtown San Jose, as are a few places at San Pedro Square Market. I don't think any of them do flights though. Growler USA is a bit farther, but they'relocated on The Alameda and reportedly do flights, albeit at a pretty high price (maybe upwards of $28/6).

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thanks to everyone!!!

Thanks again!!

Don't be sorry. This is the OT thread. It's kinda dead here anyway.

:naughty:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm gonna be in SF from 8-13 Jan and likely will be taking in games vs CBJ and Dallas.

whats the best way to get tickets for those game? And how about transportation from and to SF? do HFers ever meet for beers before games?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm gonna be in SF from 8-13 Jan and likely will be taking in games vs CBJ and Dallas.

whats the best way to get tickets for those game? And how about transportation from and to SF? do HFers ever meet for beers before games?

Best/cheapest option is CalTrain. But last train north leaves right after game, so would have to do any socializing before/at game.

Tickets - try season ticket thread. If that doesn't work, TM/StubHub.

Reactions: tiburon12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad