Proposal: #1 overall to NYR

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Doesnt change how ridiculous that opinion is

Saying Adam Fox may be worth more than Alexis Lafreniere 1-to-1 is about as insane and asinine as saying Kaapo Kakko is as valuable as Neal Pionk
Why? Do you not think Adam Fox has the potential to at least be #1D? I mean he pretty much played like one as a rookie.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Why? Do you not think Adam Fox has the potential to at least be #1D? I mean he pretty much played like one as a rookie.
No, I don’t

Lets wait until Adam gets another season under his belt. Plenty of guys, including a current Devil, have had as good, close, or better seasons than Fox and then either crashed and burned or only marginally improved.

If Im playing a guessing game Im saying Fox tops out as a #3

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
He'll never be as valuable because the league has already seen him pout to get traded from 2 teams why would anyone waste valuable assets to acquire someone who'll bolt the first chance he gets?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He'll never be as valuable because the league has already seen him pout to get traded from 2 teams why would anyone waste valuable assets to acquire someone who'll bolt the first chance he gets?

So in 7 years?

No, I don’t

Lets wait until Adam gets another season under his belt. Plenty of guys, including a current Devil, have had as good, close, or better seasons than Fox and then either crashed and burned or only marginally improved.

There are exactly zero devils defenseman who have ever been as good as Adam Fox.

And you think my opinion is ridiculous? Maybe you should try watching the guy.

Sometimes its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than it is to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So far nobody is taking it even with Fox, so Itho k you are safe.

thanks and concur
b'c LAK have Turcotte I see an extremely small chance 2OA could be peddled.
Do not see winner of 1OA moving that pick
- either
--- build block to a team w/need
--- or a cheap likely difference maker boost to a contender

Not impossible for every math combination, but highly unlikely.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
No, I don’t

#3? Ok.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
#3 is about right. Let's keep those #1 and #2 to the elite level players. There are only a handful of #1 dmen that have ever played in the NHL.

Reactions: Swiss Prodigy

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
I can name really good #3s who can sometimes play #2 if needed,

What exactly is your issue with that? Theres nothing to place him as an auto top pair guy. Hes turning 23 in February not 21 like Makar and Hughes

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

What exactly is your issue with that? Theres nothing to place him as an auto top pair guy. Hes turning 23 in February not 21 like Makar and Hughes

Because if you actually watched him play on a nightly basis, you’d see that his hockey IQ alone will probably have him as a top pairing guy and as the season progressed, him and Lindgren were the team’s top pairing. He also had 40+ points without being on the team’s 1st power play unit for the vast majority of the season as he and Trouba played the points on the 2nd unit.

Also, who cares if he’s a year older than Makar and 2 years older than Hughes? They all made ridiculous jumps from the NCAA to the NHL with major success, something you don’t see often. Fox is already a top pairing guy on the Rangers. Unless you’re telling me he’s peaked already, which is ridiculous, he’s absolutely going to get better than he is now.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
No, I don’t

Wow, not even close. Try not to let the hate get in the way of your opinions.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
If NYR won 1oa where in the lineup does Laferenier play?

3LW or move Kreider to RW?

Because we have Panarin and Kreider locked in for the next 7 years with movement clauses.

I actually think it could work and having Kreider come of the right wall could add a new shot to his limited toolbox.

But, its not out of the realm of possibility that NYR would be the one and only team to trade down if Byfield+ or Stutzle+ were on the table. It's plain as day we are well stocked at every position accept Center and #1LD Stud.

Kings ransom or you make the pick for the potential franchise player. Don’t get cute. Take the guy with the best chance of being a star. Having 3 lines that can score isn’t a bad thing and you’d let Laf get integrated into the league getting better matchups.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Makar turns 23 the same year eight months later. Huge meaningful distinction. Hughes wasn't better than Fox. Hughes was sheltered PP1 guy on a great PP.

Fox over an 82 game pace had 49 points playing less than 19 minutes per game and playing second PP for a team that runs their first unit well over a minute per PP. When that becomes at least 22-23 and potentially also first PP, you are talking about at least 50+ points just from being on the ice longer and in better situations. So we are talking about at least 50+ point defensemen with some of the best analytics in the league. In every zone his numbers are elite analytically, and Fox's defense and all-zone play looked so good that he forced his way into PK time late in the season and the #1 ES TOI role.

I think you don't want to accept that Fox is better than you wanted him to be. He was better than most Ranger fans thought he'd be, as well. We can all accept that we were wrong. He's not the sheltered PP guy people made him out to be prior to reaching the NHL.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Makar turns 23 the same year eight months later. Huge meaningful distinction. Hughes wasn't better than Fox. Hughes was sheltered PP1 guy on a great PP.

Fox over an 82 game pace had 49 points playing less than 19 minutes per game and playing second PP for a team that runs their first unit well over a minute per PP. When that becomes at least 22-23 and potentially also first PP, you are talking about at least 50+ points just from being on the ice longer and in better situations. So we are talking about at least 50+ point defensemen with some of the best analytics in the league. In every zone his numbers are elite analytically, and Fox's defense and all-zone play looked so good that he forced his way into PK time late in the season and the #1 ES TOI role.

I think you don't want to accept that Fox is better than you wanted him to be. He was better than most Ranger fans thought he'd be, as well. We can all accept that we were wrong. He's not the sheltered PP guy people made him out to be prior to reaching the NHL.

I find it really strange people could believe this about Fox after watching him play prior to the NHL. The guy always had elite composure in his own end, which is probably the most important characteristic of any solid defensive dman.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I find it really strange people could believe this about Fox after watching him play prior to the NHL. The guy always had elite composure in his own end, which is probably the most important characteristic of any solid defensive dman.

I think most didn't watch him play that much. They saw the point totals, heard that he wasn't a blazing skater, heard the reputation that he's good offensively, and characterized him that way. Small and not a blazing skater usually gets characterized with defensive problems for a defenseman.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Because if you actually watched him play on a nightly basis, you’d see that his hockey IQ alone will probably have him as a top pairing guy and as the season progressed, him and Lindgren were the team’s top pairing. He also had 40+ points without being on the team’s 1st power play unit for the vast majority of the season as he and Trouba played the points on the 2nd unit.

Also, who cares if he’s a year older than Makar and 2 years older than Hughes? They all made ridiculous jumps from the NCAA to the NHL with major success, something you don’t see often. Fox is already a top pairing guy on the Rangers. Unless you’re telling me he’s peaked already, which is ridiculous, he’s absolutely going to get better than he is now.
‘Because if you actually watched him’

Usually means you have no legitimate reasoning. What a waste of a wall of text

He aint going to be a top pairing guy. Im sure Carolina just let a top pair guy go for practically free ;laugh:

Boy oh boy the Rags gets a decent defenseman for the first time since McDonagh and after one season hes a top pair guy. Good grief

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Kings, Detroit and Ottawa all need a franchise centerman. Kopitar is still a heck of a player but he's stuck on a terrible team. If the Kings won it, I could see them dealing Kopitar. They are going to have to retain half his salary to move him. If the Kings would take back Staal's contract and retain half of Kopitar's contract, I would have no issue sending them Strome, Zac Jones, and the Rangers second first rounder. He's 32 but I think he's got at least 3 real good years left and the Rangers need a top faceoff guy. I think Kopitar could greatly accelerate the development of a kid like Kakko. It's worth it even though he's kind of old. Kings can afford to take Staal for one more year easy. They could keep Strome or use him for more rebuilding pieces. Might be tough for Kings fans to admit but Kopitar is basically a salary dump at this point. Kings won't do anything for at least 4-5 years. Getting any kind of first for him is probably a win.
Absolutely none of this is correct. The Kings aren't trading their captain, he'll retire a King. The Kings will make their pick at #2 and get Kopitar's future replacement, my thought is Byfield. When Byfield is ready to take over the first line Center, Kopitar moves to 2nd. When Turcotte is ready to take over the #2 Center, Kopitar will be moved to 3rd. At that point he will be about ready for retirement and Vilardi steps into the 3rd line. Some of this can change, in that when the Kings are ready to take the next step up, they will be trading some of their assets in the pipeline, but they're not there now.

Every GM in league will disagree with your assessment of Kopitar being a Cap dump. That is probably the most ridiculous statement I read on these board Come on, man!

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
#3 is about right. Let's keep those #1 and #2 to the elite level players. There are only a handful of #1 dmen that have ever played in the NHL.

There have only been a handful of #1 dmen in the NHL’s 103 year history?????

HAAAAH! HAHAHAHAHA!!

tenor.gif

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I think at this point it's fair to ask - Have you actually watched him play? If so, how many games?

He aint going to be a top pairing guy. Im sure Carolina just let a top pair guy go for practically free ;laugh:

Yeah I'm sure he'd be the first prospect who was traded for less than their worth. Lol can't believe you'd use that as part of your justification. Maybe your posts would carry more credibility if you actually explained what's going to prevent Fox from continuing to be what he already is (a top pairing defenseman).

Reactions: One Winged Angel

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

Boy oh boy the Rags gets a decent defenseman for the first time since McDonagh and after one season hes a top pair guy. Good grief

Now your just trolling.
I guaranty that Fox would slot into a top pair on a lot of NHL rosters right now.
The Canes never wanted to let this guy go. I know that for a fact. I watched him in his rookie camps with them and he was the best player on the ice, CLEARLY. They simply knew that he wasn't going to sign with them and made the best deal possible.
Is there a chance that he goes backward? Sure, as with anyone, but he has more hockey sense than any D I have seen with the Rangers in some time.
I was a huge McDonagh fan. I thought, before some injuries, that he was the best shutdown D in the game and the best Rangers D since Leetch. I think Fox, while not as good defensively, will overtake that title from McDonagh.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
If the price was right I would definitely switch with LA and/or Ottawa if we got inside info the Kings aren't taking Byfield.

Right now the biggest (and maybe only) hole in the organization is the center depth. We need Byfield more than we need Laf, but I'm not sure I'd have the balls to go need over BPA. That could get messy.
I think you draft laf and see if one of the teams makes an offer you can’t refuse. Gives teams plenty of time to negotiate.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

So you ignored the rest of the post where I explained all of the reasons as to how and why I know that you don’t watch him. Got it.

Yikes, dude. You shouldn’t have posted this. You just look foolish for doing so.

1. 2 2nd rounders is “free?” That’s news to me.

2. He told Francis he wasn’t signing with them. The Rangers actually gave up assets to get him a year early, when he wanted to sign with them as a UFA.

Think before you post, it helps.

Yeah, he and Lindgren literally became the team’s top pairing and Fox was the team’s best defenseman all season at both ends of the ice. Not only does the eye test tell us this, but the advanced stats as well, which he has better advanced numbers than Makar and Hughes.

Again, think before you post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad