Proposal: #1 overall to NYR

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
If a team like TOR gets the 1st overall pick. What would it take for the Rangers to get the pick?

Team:

1st overall

for

NYR:

Fox
1st round - 2020 - NYR pick
1st round - 2020 - CAR pick

Is this close enough?

Fox is the real deal and I would HATE to trade him. The Rangers could have a bright future 1st line with Lafreniere and Kakko playing together.

Rangers have Trouba, DeA, Lindgren in the NHL. They have 3-4 other prospects knocking on the door.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
It's obviously a lot of value going the other way, but nobody with the chance to draft a franchise changing talent life Laf is giving that up for that package. It's not about fair value when talking about players like this. It's so much more because players like this bring in a lot of money.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
If a team like TOR gets the 1st overall pick. What would it take for the Rangers to get the pick?

Team:

1st overall

for

NYR:

Fox

Is this close enough?

Fox is the real deal and I would HATE to trade him. The Rangers could have a bright future 1st line with Lafreniere and Kakko playing together.

Rangers have Trouba, DeA, Lindgren in the NHL. They have 3-4 other prospects knocking on the door.

Probably not.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Nobody would trade the pick. Go through all 16 possible teams. That team drafts Lafreniere and doesn't listen very much to offers beforehand.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
1) Kudos for legit offer. I would guess Toronto would want prospect(s) that are near nhl level ready rather than picks but you put out a hmm offer for sure.

If Toronto were to win the lottery, they should keep the pick and trade a 10m player not named Matthews. This year TML is in salary cap inconvenience. By 20-21 they are full blown salary cap hades.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
1) Kudos for legit offer. I would guess Toronto would want prospect(s) that are near nhl level ready rather than picks but you put out a hmm offer for sure.

If Toronto were to win the lottery, they should keep the pick and trade a 10m player not named Matthews. This year TML is in salary cap inconvenience. By 20-21 they are full blown salary cap hades.
With the salary cap staying pretty much flat for the foreseeable future (combined with the players desire to reduce escrow) ELC guys, who can contribute to winning are far more valuable than ever before, and be a “get out of cap jail” card to a team like Toronto, that has 40 million in 4 hedge funded contracts. The Leafs getting Lafreniere would be more important for Toronto (for cap reasons) than any other team.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Why would the Rangers trade up to 1st OA to take a winger? You have Panarin, Kakko, Kreider, Buchnevich on the roster and Kravtsov still developing. No doubt Lafreniere could supplant all but Panarin, but for the cost to upgrade what is already a strength it just doesn’t make sense.

What they should do is try to trade up to get a guy like Rossi if he slips. The only problem being, I can’t see any of the teams picking 5-8 passing on him. All of those teams need centers. But I think drafting a 2C should be the priority for the Rangers.

What would be interesting is if the Rangers won the lottery. I think they’d have to seriously consider moving back a spot or 2 if the price was right to take Byfield or Stutzle.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No need for the Rangers. Win 1OA or don't draft Lafreniere. We just drafted Kakko. We don't need a high pick winger that badly.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
I don't see why Rangers would trade Fox. They moved a top 4 guy this year already, which was a solid trade IMO, but they just don't have the depth at the position to move a guy like Fox. Makes more sense to bank on more growth from their young offensive core. Cost too much to get Laf, doesn't make sense for them and they're on the cusp of being a very very competitive hockey club.

Reactions: bernmeister

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
The entire idea of this draft lottery is just silly to me.
And has made the NHL stock drop considerably imo.

That being said, no one is trading this pick. That would be silly.

In the unlikely scenario that they do win the pick, Toronto would have the most lopsided roster of all time.

Just ridiculous top 6 and nothing else lol

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Who do you think the + should be?
Can only assume Kakko right? The concept of two mid/late 1sts for number 1 in 2020 is outrageously insulting if the plus isn’t super appealing because it’s the plus that makes this deal pencil. Not the low 1st rounders.

Fox was a decent plus in the initial proposal. You’d think the Rangers need to add an A prospect, not yet in the nhl, to the other three pieces of the initial offer to get Laf.

If it were Kakko and two firsts in 2020 for Laf. I’d probably do that deal.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Can only assume Kakko right? The concept of two mid/late 1sts for number 1 in 2020 is outrageously insulting if the plus isn’t super appealing because it’s the plus that makes this deal pencil. Not the low 1st rounders.

Fox was a decent plus in the initial proposal. You’d think the Rangers need to add an A prospect, not yet in the nhl, to the other three pieces of the initial offer to get Laf.

If it were Kakko and two firsts in 2020 for Laf. I’d probably do that deal.
Anybody who does that from the NYR side should be fired immediately. Everybody assumes Laf will come in and light it up with 60+ points. Every prospect develops differently. Kakko was playing in a men's league against adult bodies with insane amounts of pressure on him nightly. He played a ton of hockey over the course of a year, which is why I think he ran out of gas. Kakko could be just as good as Laf. Adding two firsts is insane.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anybody who does that from the NYR side should be fired immediately. Everybody assumes Laf will come in and light it up with 60+ points. Every prospect develops differently. Kakko was playing in a men's league against adult bodies with insane amounts of pressure on him nightly. He played a ton of hockey over the course of a year, which is why I think he ran out of gas. Kakko could be just as good as Laf. Adding two firsts is insane.

Adding a first isn’t even fair value. Maybe a 2nd/3rd. It’s mostly a coin flip between the two prospects at the time of the draft. I had Lafreniere rated slightly higher, but it’s not a huge difference.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Rangers would be dumb to move Fox. Kid has the chance to be a top 5 D in the NHL.
Laf may turn out to be a great player, but not at the expense of Fox and two firsts.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Team:

1st overall

for

NYR:

Fox

Is this close enough?

If Calgary won it it would be totally funny to have Fox end up back in Calgary...not sure if it would be funny enough to actually make that trade but funny enough to at least consider it..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad