#1 On The Ladd Bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I'll be the first to say openly that I was impressed with the way Andrew Ladd played today. I'll go out on a limb and say he was effective in his role today.

To those that will criticize or wonder what I'm on, hear me out first.

Everyone has criticized Andrew Ladd since he was named to the selection team, which escaladed when named to Team Canada. Rightfully so, I'll say. He hasn't been close to the player he was last year, and this is coming from me, who has had the opportunity to watch damn near every home game from this time last year.

Last year he was much more effective offensively and physically, and this year, I don't think he's shown the intensity that's required out of his game.

That said, I'm still on his bandwagon, and his game today pushed me a little further on it. I think everyone is criticizing Ladd's performance based on lack of offensive opportunities he's created.

Stop and take a look who he is playing with. Ladd isn't on that line to create offensive chances. He's there to provide a physical presence, establish the cycle and stand in front of the net. He did two of the three great today, and aside from standing in front of the net (due to a lack of offense being created completely on that line), he filled his role.

Andrew Ladd is not paired with Ryan Getzlaf and Jeff Carter to be the offensive juggernaut. I'll be the first of the three to say his offensive potential is less then those two named. I get frustrated when I see such criticisms of Ladd when the entire line isn't producing all that well.

Ryan Getzlaf in particular has not looked good. Given the two roles that I feel each are representing on the line, Getzlaf is playing poorer then Ladd. He is not creating offensive opportunities, and doesn't seem to be showing the desire I'd have expected from him after having the chance to talk to him about the tournament.

Ryan Getzlaf has the talent to walk through most opposing lines. I've seen him do it almost at will in the WHL, and thought today when he wound up a few times, could've/should've done it again. Ryan Getzlaf is on the club to create offensive opportunities, which he isn't doing.

Jeff Carter, in my opinion, has played well. I haven't had the chance to see Carter play with any sort of regularity at all, so I cannot comment on expectations, but I'd assume it is somewhere along the lines of Getzlaf. That said, I think he's been pretty effective thus far (dating back to the exhibition games).

Back to the topic at hand, I question why Ladd is getting the brunt force of the criticism when quite a few players aren't playing up to par. I think it's fair to say that Ladd is playing just as well, if not better, then Fraser. Both have been good on the penalty kill, but aside from that, I don't think Fraser has been all that effective on the ice. As someone that has seen him a handful of times, I've expected more of a physical presence from him.

Nigel Dawes is another player who I feel is underperforming, but there isn't much mention of him. For a player that lead the team in scoring last year, he has yet to show me, at least, the display he put on last year. For a player whose sole purpose is to generate offensive opportunities, I've yet to see a glimpse.

I just really am not sure why there's such a hate for Andrew Ladd on this club. To me, he performed his role today, and as long as he continues to bang, crash, park himself in front of the net, and kill penalties with success, then I'm glad he's on the club.

leafaholix*

I like Andrew Ladd, just not at #4 overall.

Otherwise I think he has the perfect package to be a good 3rd line player in the NHL... he just doesn't have the upside to be anything more.

I never fell off the wagon, I was never on it.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I agree and disagree.

I thought he looked a lot better today. He impressed me on the penalty kill and I thought he was much more physical. However I still don't like him on that scoring line. There were a couple times today that he could have had some garbage goals off of what his linemates had created, and his hands let him down. He works hard, but on a scoring line, I still want someone who can finish their chances effectively.

Essentially I like what Ladd brings to the table on the penalty kill and physically, but offensively I see absolutely minimal output out of him. Basically I can't wait till Colliton gets back (hoping he does), so that Ladd can be moved to the 13th forward, and Colliton can take his place on that line (as IMO he's got better hands and does the same things Ladd does). Ladd could be used as primarily a penalty killer and someone who can jumpstart the canadians if they begin to slow down the intensity of the game.

I agree with Getzlaf as well, he hasn't looked much better so far in the pre tourney games and in the game today. Carter has essentially been carrying that line on his back. Quite frankly, I'd love to see a shake up of the lines, because I havent been impressed by any of them offensively yet, save the Crosby and Bergeron connection. None seem to be really clicking, there is nothing fluid. Just sloppy offense.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I think you bring up an excellent point. A complete shake-up of lines 2-4 could very well be in order. The only line that looks like a unit right now is the Bergeron-Crosby-Perry line.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if we saw a shake-up.

One other question I do have is why everyone wants to move Ladd to the 13th forward. Why not someone like Fraser, who I feel hasn't done much of anything yet either.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Aaron Vickers said:
I think you bring up an excellent point. A complete shake-up of lines 2-4 could very well be in order. The only line that looks like a unit right now is the Bergeron-Crosby-Perry line.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if we saw a shake-up.

One other question I do have is why everyone wants to move Ladd to the 13th forward. Why not someone like Fraser, who I feel hasn't done much of anything yet either.

I think Macarthur should maybe get a raise, though I think his size wouldnt warrant it and I dont think Sutter would remove him from the roll of a bit of a pest forechecker because hes doing IMO one of the best jobs of it Ive ever seen. As for Ladd, I agree he looked better today but still has the ability to get into position for Getzlaf to feed him and I havent seen it. I agree that Fraser hasnt done much of anything. Also this subject might not even need to be dealt with if Colliton doesnt heal in time anyways. I just hope we can hang on if our other lines dont start clicking cause I dont think I was the only Canadian that thought Slovakia could get another fluke 4th goal and tie it with the extra attacker when the score was 5-3.... We didnt look good aside from the 1st period.

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
Leafaholix said:
I like Andrew Ladd, just not at #4 overall.

Otherwise I think he has the perfect package to be a good 3rd line player in the NHL... he just doesn't have the upside to be anything more.

I never fell off the wagon, I was never on it.

It's not often I agree with Leafaholix...but I do on this one.

Personally I don't see the difference between Ladd at #4 and say Chipchura at #18 ??

He didn't impress me today, he didn't let me down. In fact I thought he may have played better then Getlaf...is that a good or a bad thing??

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
I was dissapointed with Ladd all season but this game he had caused many Slovak turnovers i was impressed with his strength but maybe he could have done more when he had the puck, i gave him an B that game

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Aaron Vickers said:
Because Colin Fraser doesn't take a shift off, Andrew Ladd on the other hand...

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:

I think it's because Fraser has good chemistry with MacArthur. Incidentally, MacArthur is up there in the scoring ranks in the WHL and he's on the "energy line". The offensive firepower of this team is downright scary when you think about it.

I did notice that Dawes made it on the PP a few times vs Slovakia even though he wasn't doing a whole heck of a lot in the game. Perhaps an effort by Sutter to jumpstart Dawes?

Phanuthier*

I have to agree with you (Aaron) that Getzlaf was by far the most dissapointing player today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad