1 on 1 against a conservative D-man

Saved*

I had an opportunity to try this situation last night. I caught the other defender just as he was plugging through the neutral, stick checked and pulled the puck out from under him and wheeled around. The other defender pulled back as I recrossed the blue line. I stick handled and then went backhand and skated around him. Back to forehand, and when I got in close, I pulled the puck in and went back hand short side.

While it worked out that time, my teams system is a hard forecheck into their zone, almost kamikaze style. I find when I chase the puck in, I'm always going to be one of the last back, but I want to condition myself so I can have more energy for the shifts. Any work out recommendations? When the puck gets dumped in, I skate in like Tyler Kennedy, no fear, and have the mindset to get the puck at all costs. It does take a wear on the body after the 5th or 6th shift, and then I'm gassed after gaining their zone, or skating back. Hope I'm not confusing.

Think 2-1-2 or 1-2-2 system.

Huggy Bear*

or you can do the speed power move. If you're not moving at full speed, and you won't be if he's staying in front of you successfully while skating backwards, Unless he's a good bit better skater then you, You hold the puck away from your body with just the top hand on your stick, extened, slam forward as hard as you can and lean in toward him while driving past. Your body will protect the puck, and holding the stick at full arm's reach will keep it away from him. Once you're past, you can pull the puck back in and make a move on the goalie.

Or he could press the B button! :P

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Curl and wait for another forward is also a good idea. Or go wide and do your best Gretzky imprsonation from behind the net. A lot of players will opt to skate behind the net and keep going, which I never understand, playing from behind the net is the easiest place to play hockey in my experience. Bottom line is always try to expose other players weakness. If he's conservative because he's not that great of a skater he's probably a poor lateral skater so make the guy skate.

WOW...You win the "Coaching award of the Month" in my book!

Head coach

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Delay up high and wait for supporting teammates, chip it past him and go get it, or go wide and move down around the perimeter and behind the net and look for a play to open up. If the guy is playing you properly, and is a strong defenseman, you're more likely than not just putting yourself at high risk of a turnover and quick transition if you're going to try to walk through the guy all by yourself.

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
As a goalie I don't find picking it up through the feet of a defender in a one on one that hard unless the shooter gets some cut across and can get me and/or the D-man moving laterally at the point of release.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00