1 on 1 against a conservative D-man

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Hey peeps. So I'd like to get some input from some of you who are more experienced than I am in hockey (or who ever would know, but i've been playing for just over 3 years).

So I often get in a situation where I'm entering the offensive zone against a D-man who is playing me ULTRA conservatively. Its probably because of the skill level in my league and them knowing its best to take my shooting lane away. Anyway, these guys will literally just stay in my way all the way to the crease. I'm a shorter guy (5'8") and many of the guys are taller and have a bigger stick (Pierre McGuire would love em :naughty:) and its harder to get around them, especially when they're not pinching or making a move on me what so ever.

So do I take a shot hoping he's screening the goalie? Try to move the puck through him and skate around (if I have time)? Wait for a supporting forward? Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Pass the puck to him, unexpectedly, and then cross-check him in the face.

I don't think he can reach that high.

I kid- I'm a short guy myself. I know how it feels.

As for what you should do, it depends a lot on you. I had a situation like that before, and stopped, turned sideways and glided across the crease and forced him to try and move with the lane, I got him to screen the goalie and I shot against the grain top shelf for a goal. However, that requires good skating and a quick release. If you have a more powerful shot that takes longer, you're going to do something different.

But I didn't have time to think about that. And really, you shouldn't. You develop a sense where your mind subconsciously picks up on patterns and body motions and comes up with a plan of action. It's like aiming a shot. You don't do anything consciously, you just practice and your brain figures out where to shoot in a game situation without you needing to have input, if that makes any sense.

But the two things you can really do in that case are slow down and speed up. You can slow down like I did and start sideways, which opens up room and time for you to work with, or you can do the speed power move. If you're not moving at full speed, and you won't be if he's staying in front of you successfully while skating backwards, Unless he's a good bit better skater then you, You hold the puck away from your body with just the top hand on your stick, extened, slam forward as hard as you can and lean in toward him while driving past. Your body will protect the puck, and holding the stick at full arm's reach will keep it away from him. Once you're past, you can pull the puck back in and make a move on the goalie.

Obviously the second one is a lot harder, it takes great acceleration and speed, as well as good puck protection, stickhanding skills and the strength to stickhandle one handed. If you pull it off though, it's about one of the sweetest goals you'll ever see.

If you want an idea of what I'm talking about in video, there's an example at 1:24 of this clip.

Good luck.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I don't think he can reach that high.

I kid- I'm a short guy myself. I know how it feels.

As for what you should do, it depends a lot on you. I had a situation like that before, and stopped, turned sideways and glided across the crease and forced him to try and move with the lane, I got him to screen the goalie and I shot against the grain top shelf for a goal. However, that requires good skating and a quick release. If you have a more powerful shot that takes longer, you're going to do something different.

But I didn't have time to think about that. And really, you shouldn't. You develop a sense where your mind subconsciously picks up on patterns and body motions and comes up with a plan of action. It's like aiming a shot. You don't do anything consciously, you just practice and your brain figures out where to shoot in a game situation without you needing to have input, if that makes any sense.

But the two things you can really do in that case are slow down and speed up. You can slow down like I did and start sideways, which opens up room and time for you to work with, or you can do the speed power move. If you're not moving at full speed, and you won't be if he's staying in front of you successfully while skating backwards, Unless he's a good bit better skater then you, You hold the puck away from your body with just the top hand on your stick, extened, slam forward as hard as you can and lean in toward him while driving past. Your body will protect the puck, and holding the stick at full arm's reach will keep it away from him. Once you're past, you can pull the puck back in and make a move on the goalie.

Obviously the second one is a lot harder, it takes great acceleration and speed, as well as good puck protection, stickhanding skills and the strength to stickhandle one handed. If you pull it off though, it's about one of the sweetest goals you'll ever see.

If you want an idea of what I'm talking about in video, there's an example at 1:24 of this clip.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I actually do frequently use my body to protect and one hand the puck in, but when the D is playing so low in the crease sometimes my angle gets completely taken away and I'm forced to shoot on a goalie with his pads stacked against the post (or I'll circle around the net and look for a streaking forward).

Also, I can only do this when I'm on the right side (I'm a lefty). I'm not that strong single handed on the left side. But like I said, alot of the times the D just stays in my way. I do like the idea of slowing the play down though. My best shot is my snap shot and I have a fairly quick release on it with decent aim. Maybe if I'm coming in fast I could stop and force him to screen and just try to hit the corner or even a 5 hole. I have preseason game tomorrow so if I get a chance I'll try it out.

thanks again :handclap:

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Use him as a screen for your shot or try to beat him on the inside.

Alternatively, you could set up a play where you pass back to the point and have your d-man wire a shot.

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
Use him as a screen for

that would be my suggestion. get in a close as he will allow then take a snapper. shoot where the goalie wont be. if the goalie is a butterfly, shoot high or under his blocker or glove depending on your, and the goalie handedness.

if you take a snapper and use the defenseman as a screen, the goalie will not only not be able to see the puck but a quick snapper wont give him much time to react. again though, get in a close as the d man will allow

MG91

Feb 1, 2008
Surrey, BC
Use him as a screen and go shelf ;)

but a nice alternative is to show him the shot, and a nice quick toe drag around him ( im guessing your quicker than these guys) and use your speed to get to the net.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
If you have good speed and your a decent stickhandler try slowing down a bit and faking a shot. Throw a leg kick and if he stops try and slide it by him.

BadHammy*

Cpt gave some good advice. Depending on the angle and your strengths, and weaknesses, you can slow down or speed up. The final decision often has to be based on the goalie's positioning, but you control everything else.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
that would be my suggestion. get in a close as he will allow then take a snapper. shoot where the goalie wont be. if the goalie is a butterfly, shoot high or under his blocker or glove depending on your, and the goalie handedness.

if you take a snapper and use the defenseman as a screen, the goalie will not only not be able to see the puck but a quick snapper wont give him much time to react. again though, get in a close as the d man will allow

In the lower level pickup that we play in, I usually end up playing as a conservative D-man. The "top" players in that league try to cut to the middle and eventually wind up shooting wide or hitting my skates.

The best move I can think of is to fake to the outside, then cut inside with speed, throw the brakes on, and take the shot short side. If you have a quick enough release you'll be shooting around the defenceman as he tries to stop, and you may catch the goalie a half-inch out of position.

Last edited:

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
Fake middle, the d-man has to bite at least a bit since he can't let himself get beat inside, then shield the puck and go hard wide, if you can get one shoulder by when if he's slow on the turn, you can cut to the net.

If not, low shot for a rebound and crash.

Trust me, I play D most of the time, inside-out is a harder move to defend than outside-in.

nikebauer

Jul 21, 2005
Vancouver
Trust me, I play D most of the time, inside-out is a harder move to defend than outside-in.

+1

yup. move your feet quickly and skate hard to the outside and then cut around him. against lesser skaters you will definitely catch him flatfooted. more effective than cutting inside or dangling IMO

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Conservative defenseman, always keep his position as centered in front of you as possible. Make your move around him just as you are ready to shoot.

Preferably try to snipe off of him using him as the shield so the goalie can't see you get your shot off.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
So do I take a shot hoping he's screening the goalie? Try to move the puck through him and skate around (if I have time)? Wait for a supporting forward? Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated!

First, always enter the zone on your off wing. Example: If you shoot left, enter on the right side. By entering on you off wing, when you turn towards the center, you protect the puck.

If you enter on the off wing, come up to the blue line about 3/4 speed. Once you are close to the blue line, turn to full speed. This will make the defensemen start to match your speed as you enter. If he is a good defensemen, he will gap control right at the blue line and it will force you to dump the puck.

If he gives you room to enter, once you are at full speed, make a stop turn and turn towards the center ice along the inside of the zone along the blue line. This will force the defensemen to cross over passing lanes.

How, if you have a forward that is coming with you into the attacking zone, he should use this rule: "The player without the ouck goes behind" This means that if you cross over into a different skating lane, into someone elses skating lane, that person in that skating lane must move into your skating lane.

Just at the point when you have moved over into the next skating lane, this player should go behind you. At this point drop pass to the player crossing behind. "MAKE SURE THAT YOU PASS THE PUCK IN THE DIRECTION HE IS GOING!"

If you don't it will end up in his feet. Once he gets the drop pass, move to the net or stay high in the slot so he can move the puck back to you for the one timer.

Head coach

PS: Hockey is a team sport, not an individual sport! When I hear player saying what do "I" do... Then I recommend Tennis!

Last edited:

Tinkeric

Dec 23, 2008
Washington, D.C.

Using the defender as a screen is the simplest and probably highest-percentage scoring option. A good defender can still block the shot by anticipating your release, so it's important to remember a few things: (1) change the angle right before you shoot, either by faking and then moving laterally or by pulling the puck closer to your feet before you shoot. (2) shooting in mid-stride can catch the defender and goalie off guard and they won't even have time to react.

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
First, always enter the zone on your off wing. Example: If you shoot left, enter on the right side. By entering on you off wing, when you turn towards the center, you protect the puck.

If you enter on the off wing, come up to the blue line about 3/4 speed. Once you are close to the blue line, turn to full speed. This will make the defensemen start to match your speed as you enter. If he is a good defensemen, he will gap control right at the blue line and it will force you to dump the puck.

If he gives you room to enter, once you are at full speed, make a stop turn and turn towards the center ice along the inside of the zone along the blue line. This will force the defensemen to cross over passing lanes.

How, if you have a forward that is coming with you into the attacking zone, he should use this rule: "The player without the ouck goes behind" This means that if you cross over into a different skating lane, into someone elses skating lane, that person in that skating lane must move into your skating lane.

Just at the point when you have moved over into the next skating lane, this player should go behind you. At this point drop pass to the player crossing behind. "MAKE SURE THAT YOU PASS THE PUCK IN THE DIRECTION HE IS GOING!"

If you don't it will end up in his feet. Once he gets the drop pass, move to the net or stay high in the slot so he can move the puck back to you for the one timer.

Head coach

PS: Hockey is a team sport, not an individual sport! When I hear player saying what do "I" do... Then I recommend Tennis!

What do you reccommend a "team" does on a breakaway? tennis? :naughty:

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Headcoach is correct about trying to come in on your off wing if you are planning to shoot. If that isn't an option and depending on your skating level I suggest that you chip the puck into the corner and go and get it. A: I am guessing that you can skate faster without the puck than with. B: I am also guessing that if the skill level is middle to lower, the defenseman will not be great at the transition from backwards to forwards. C: He will probably chase you all the way into the corner and leave the slot open for a teammate. It normally takes an assist to make a goal so go in with that mind set instead of trying to score on a low percentage shot. Control the puck longer and wait for help. If you can just have 1 of your guys beat 1 of their guys into the zone you will create a higher percentage scoring chance.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
If you're 1 on 1 shooting between his legs is a good choice. Getting him to move his feet and skate laterally is always a good idea. It's hard for a lot of defensemen to be skating backwards and then have to go sideways to try to block the shot. The D's priority is to block your shot so I always stand facing his stick to prevent him from going to his forehand, getting him to go to his backhand is my best defense. Curl and wait for another forward is also a good idea. Or go wide and do your best Gretzky imprsonation from behind the net. A lot of players will opt to skate behind the net and keep going, which I never understand, playing from behind the net is the easiest place to play hockey in my experience. Bottom line is always try to expose other players weakness. If he's conservative because he's not that great of a skater he's probably a poor lateral skater so make the guy skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad