Post-Game Talk: #1| NY Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes| October 10th 7:00 PM| Part II | F/W 5-3

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Conacher - i don't think he is the best person for the spot. seems like Cappy is trying to spread the O around? if Conacher can play hard in a supportive role, he will be ok there. maybe Cappy trying to showcase him early, looking to move him when Grabs is ready?

JT - said enough

KO - didn't have a great game, but worked hard.

Nelson, Strome - i can see these two guys being a 'pair' that just click. throw Lee on the LW, and wow. Strome still a bit tentative, and i think he is better suited to C, but him and Nelson seem to know how to utilize each other's strengths.

Grabovski - seems to be one of those guys that would play really well with a few big wingers. like him at C as well.

Bailey - he hits? who would have known? made a few flubs, but let's be real. everyone did. if he keeps playing like he did last night, he will be ok in a 3rd line role.

Kulemin - very useful player. may not be a point getter, but he is welcome on my team.

4th line - i think so much better with Clutterbuck. please send McDonald down...

good to see size on the D. welcome, Manchuck and Reinhart. welcome, welcome, welcome. please stay!

Halak - good enough. does he have focus issues? hmmm... will have to be better though, if we are going anywhere.

thought all the D played well. Manchuk... as expected. very good. Leddy seemed a bit conservative, which i think is good. while being an offensive D, he (they all) need to help reduce our GA. Hickey underrated, IMO. will never be a bruiser, obviously, but he is, as someone mentioned, a very good 3rd pairing guy.

would love to be able to watch the entire game again, and do a microanalysis on Cappy. based on results, i guess he did ok. Butchie said that the PK was less aggressive, with a tighter box. thought it was a slight improvement over last year, but too early too judge it's overall effectiveness. i was taught a system in which one very speedy forward covered both defencemen, the 2nd F hung out high in the slot, and the two D in front. i would hope that they learn at least a few different approaches, in order to make mid-game adjustments.

PP looked very good.

if i were Cappy, i would take a page out of Arbour's book, and blast them after winning. don't let them get complacent. this was a good first step, but the road is long, and gets much, much tougher.

overall, i give the game a B. still think we are a bit too small, but the size is coming.

Last edited:

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I pray to god we re-sign Boychuck, he is the perfect veteran D-man to move forward with, especially considering Visnovsky will most likely retire soon.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Did Nielsen only play 13 minutes? If that is how he is gonna be used through the season, would it not be better to trade him since his value is high?

What would be the point in trading him? We are covered from all angles at this point. We have depth in every position, this is how teams win. Frans Nielsen is a great player and probably one of the best 3C's in the league, there is literally no need for us to trade him. He's also been here forever and he's very happy with this team, you keep guys like that if they are still productive players who contribute.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
What would be the point in trading him? We are covered from all angles at this point. We have depth in every position, this is how teams win. Frans Nielsen is a great player and probably one of the best 3C's in the league, there is literally no need for us to trade him. He's also been here forever and he's very happy with this team, you keep guys like that if they are still productive players who contribute.

agreed. one of the benefits of depth, is having our better players being fresh, as we hit the PO's. maybe i'm getting ahead of myself, but i hope this is what Cappy had in mind. looking at the boxscore, i notice only Boychuk and Hammer getting over 20 minutes. if we can win, and spread the minutes around, we will be in very good shape.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Great start to the season. There were a few obvious kinks that need to be worked out (specifically JT/KO's linemate), but overall very good showing.n:handclap::handclap:

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
:handclap:
Can't wait to obliterate them

Maybe we should let them win. After all it hurts their McDavid/Eichel chances, and man I would love to see them cry about getting 5th overall and see them mis out McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin.

I'd be just as satisfies with a win, especially when we obliterate them.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Agree with Rikker and 17, trading Frans would be a huge mistake. At least during the regular season there is the shoot out. Would be impossible to replace Frans in that.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Agree with Rikker and 17, trading Frans would be a huge mistake. At least during the regular season there is the shoot out. Would be impossible to replace Frans in that.

Our center depth is the backbone of our forward group, there is no reason to trade anyone considering we've added Boychuk (aka Manchuk) and Leddy. We have no glaring deficiencies anymore on the roster so keep as is.

Tavares played less than 18 minutes last night, I think that's a good thing. Other than that one shift when the top line got caught on a long shift (eventually gave up a goal), he was flying. This team rolls 4 lines and keeps everyone fresh... no more 3rd period debacles.

19 Straight

Jan 25, 2006
New Jersey
Conacher plays an aggressive gritty game for his 5'8 frame.

Guy played real well with Stamkos in TB, but wasn't much of a force with Ottawa and Buffalo.

He could potentially be one of those steals by Garth, I think we need to relax and give him a couple of more games he can be a solid player for us.

Conacher brings way more to the table then Colin McDonald. McDonald needs to be waived honestly.

He may be aggressive and gritty, but he is not first line material. He played well with stamkos for about 15 games.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Boychuks better than Harmonic also IMO. Vanek.
The trade was a brilliant no brainer.
Garth can't make up for the Vanek trade by re-signing Boychuk but letting him walk after the season would be a disaster.

No he is definitely not. It's one game guys, and Hamonic was way better defensively last night if you were watching the game.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Our center depth is the backbone of our forward group, there is no reason to trade anyone considering we've added Boychuk (aka Manchuk) and Leddy. We have no glaring deficiencies anymore on the roster so keep as is.

Tavares played less than 18 minutes last night, I think that's a good thing. Other than that one shift when the top line got caught on a long shift (eventually gave up a goal), he was flying. This team rolls 4 lines and keeps everyone fresh... no more 3rd period debacles.

Yes, that's big having that depth. No need to get rid of any of it.
PS, MDC had quite a last few minutes in last night's game.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island

They do that too often, and I HATE it lol.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Very good first game. Nelson looks like he may be the real deal. Although its only 1 game it looks pretty obvious that Conacher is not a fit for the first line. He would make a fine 13th forward as an injury replacement but that is all he should be used as. Although Skille would have been better suited in that role.

Need to improve on the PK obviously and faceoffs. Halak was great in 1st and 2nd and looked like an Islander goalie in the 3rd.

Overall good game, it is important to get off to a good start with the higher expectations this year

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Conacher - i don't think he is the best person for the spot. seems like Cappy is trying to spread the O around? if Conacher can play hard in a supportive role, he will be ok there. maybe Cappy trying to showcase him early, looking to move him when Grabs is ready?

JT - said enough

KO - didn't have a great game, but worked hard.

Nelson, Strome - i can see these two guys being a 'pair' that just click. throw Lee on the LW, and wow. Strome still a bit tentative, and i think he is better suited to C, but him and Nelson seem to know how to utilize each other's strengths.

Grabovski - seems to be one of those guys that would play really well with a few big wingers. like him at C as well.

Bailey - he hits? who would have known? made a few flubs, but let's be real. everyone did. if he keeps playing like he did last night, he will be ok in a 3rd line role.

Kulemin - very useful player. may not be a point getter, but he is welcome on my team.

4th line - i think so much better with Clutterbuck. please send McDonald down...

good to see size on the D. welcome, Manchuck and Reinhart. welcome, welcome, welcome. please stay!

Halak - good enough. does he have focus issues? hmmm... will have to be better though, if we are going anywhere.

thought all the D played well. Manchuk... as expected. very good. Leddy seemed a bit conservative, which i think is good. while being an offensive D, he (they all) need to help reduce our GA. Hickey underrated, IMO. will never be a bruiser, obviously, but he is, as someone mentioned, a very good 3rd pairing guy.

would love to be able to watch the entire game again, and do a microanalysis on Cappy. based on results, i guess he did ok. Butchie said that the PK was less aggressive, with a tighter box. thought it was a slight improvement over last year, but too early too judge it's overall effectiveness. i was taught a system in which one very speedy forward covered both defencemen, the 2nd F hung out high in the slot, and the two D in front. i would hope that they learn at least a few different approaches, in order to make mid-game adjustments.

PP looked very good.

if i were Cappy, i would take a page out of Arbour's book, and blast them after winning. don't let them get complacent. this was a good first step, but the road is long, and gets much, much tougher.

overall, i give the game a B. still think we are a bit too small, but the size is coming.

I'd like to see Lee in that spot and Grabo on the top line. It will be very interesting watching Cappy this year.

Can someone tell me if Reinhart played the right-side in Junior? thanks

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Did Nielsen only play 13 minutes? If that is how he is gonna be used through the season, would it not be better to trade him since his value is high?

For what? He's not bringing back an elite scoring talent, unless we throw in something else. Why would we weaken our C depth like that and lose a guy who scores in 50% of his shootout attempts?

Agreed on all accounts.

No he is definitely not. It's one game guys, and Hamonic was way better defensively last night if you were watching the game.

He was our best defender last night defensively. Even if he didn't score those goals, I still would've had him near the top for player of the game.

Something that was refreshing was the team's ability to push back. I think that's a big confidence builder for them. Last season teams would start to close the gap and we'd fold our tents up and go up. Last night, Carolina started to close the gap, and the team pushed back and answered to maintain a decent lead.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I'd like to see Lee in that spot and Grabo on the top line. It will be very interesting watching Cappy this year.

Grabner has proven time and time again that he does not excel at the down low cycling offense that JT and KO are so good at.

Grabner is a perfect fit on the 3rd line with Frans and Kule.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Grabner has proven time and time again that he does not excel at the down low cycling offense that JT and KO are so good at.

Grabner is a perfect fit on the 3rd line with Frans and Kule.

Grabo = Grabovski
Grabs = Grabner

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Grabo = Grabovski
Grabs = Grabner

Oops. Well in any case I wouldn't mess with the 2nd line at all. Looks like they have been playing together for a long time already.

Thought they had the best offensive zone pressure.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island

That would be interesting and honestly it's worth to try out.

I would like to believe Reinhart played the left-side. He looked uncomfortable on the right-side imo.

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport
Good overall game by the Isles last night!! Need to win tonight to make the weekend a total success!! As many have said, Conacher is fine as a 13th or 14th forward but should not be playing over Lee and certainly not on line #1 where JT has to stick up for him in a scrum!!

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Put Lee on that line and see how many plays they'll make. Hell, maybe they'll even score!

Sorry, I'm usually not this bitter lol but yea, I just don't get how there's room for Martin and no room for Lee.

I am a big Martin fan but the whole game I was left wondering how Carolina could be a one line club, and if we had Lee even on the 4th line how we could be a 4 line club, with two lines being defensive scoring hybrids. I would lean towards keeping Martin up and moving another guy though, but it may be my bias talking.

For all the good the 4th line did last night they could have used that extra bit of skill to turn penetration into something a little more dangerous.

I think Cizikas had the most ice time out of the forwards btw, but probably has more to do with the 5 PKs than anything.

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Watching conacher last night, made me realize why Garth traded for vanek. Not that Conacher played awful, the guys just not a first line player.

Remi

Mar 2, 2012
Denmark
For what? He's not bringing back an elite scoring talent, unless we throw in something else. Why would we weaken our C depth like that and lose a guy who scores in 50% of hi....

Don't know. Just wondering cause he was voted MVP last season by the fans and he should not play 10 minutes per game....which he hopefully will not anyway. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad