Post-Game Talk: #1| NY Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes| October 10th 7:00 PM| Part II | F/W 5-3

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Yuck. I read through to see what Rag$ fans are saying and they aren't even giving the Isles a chance this year. I hope we absolutely clobber the Rag$ on Tuesday to shut those cocky SOB's up.

Meh, I am still chuckling a little over Dan Boyle.

Things happen for a reason and I am beyond happy he chose NYR over us, because Boychuk is 10x the defense men at this point then Dan Boyle and yes I will say that because Boyle just broke his hand.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Islanders have to earn there respect again from other teams, it's pretty much a me vs the world mentality but that is going to have to be how it is.

The team that showed up tonight though showed that they are no longer a "push-over" by any means.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I watched the Carolina broadcast and even those announcers talked about Reinhart's effective play out there. He was very solid, so smart. Three things that stood out for me, compared to last year, are:
- overall talent level
- confidence
- smarts

As someone who understands the Lee-to-BP move, I can't help but think adding Lee, Grabner, deHaan and Visnovsky would make this team a serious player in the East! The talent level, likely linked to the overall confidence level, really stood out tonight. It's not just because it was CAR and took advantage of an early 5on3 - it was the way they carried the play, all four lines. They were just buzzing - everyone!

I know Tavares is outstanding and he gets enough league-wide respect. I also know that many fans are upset about Conacher (instead of Moulson/Vanek) on that top line but Tavares will probably get 100pts this year (if healthy) and the main reason - the defense. Wait until deHaan and Visnovsky get back - because the defensemen's ability to move the puck up ice, drive transition, help sustain offensive pressure will give Tavares far more time in the offensive zone and way more options. With his vision and decision making, it's going to really elevate his point totals. I don't think it makes him a "better player" per se - but he'll get much better stats as a result. The difference between players who can make a pass vs. slam it off the glass in a panic every time and lead the league in blocked shots is astronomical.

Boychuk is like a second Hamonic, who's better offensively and defensively and just as physical. Amazing no other team was willing to give up more than 2 seconds. What a joke?! Amazing move by Snow. Leddy is a hybrid of Hickey and Streit, in a good way.

Reinhart made so many subtle, smart, defensive plays with positioning (head-up, in front of the net) or reversing the play under pressure - I like the Kenny Morrow comparison but that's an enormous compliment not yet deserved. I can see the same traits though, which is huge.

So many great performances out there, Nelson, Strome, Grabovski, Boychuk, Hamonic, Cizikas (who's been great in the preseason as well).

On Strait. I know he's a whipping boy, but he's not a bad player. He's very strong defensively and very physical. He took a bad penalty, made some mistakes and will never be a strong puck mover - but he's an NHL defenseman, no doubt. He's probably 7th or 8th on the depth chart but hardly someone who "must go"

I saw Kulemin so many years with the Leafs and he was exactly what I expected. He uses his body so well along the boards, reminds me of John Tonelli (not a comparison. Not a comparison!) and he'll be very useful as the season wears on, especially against bigger teams.

What a difference to have depth, secondary scoring and solid defensemen. Isles haven't had this in at least 10 years, if not longer. Since 2009 it's been whatever JT can do and then pray that someone else can chip in or at least prevent a goal against until JT gets out there or we get a PP. It was horrible.

Today it was wave after wave.

If Hickey's a #6 defenseman on this Isles team then they will have a deep playoff run.

Halak was outstanding, especially at 0-0 and 2-0 - when a goal against would have (could have, like last year), crippled the team psyche/confidence.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Good win to start the season with, getting the Carolina choke monkey off our back.

Things I liked:
- Halak! A solid effort despite the 3rd softie. I feel better about 2 goal leads all of a sudden.
- Kulemin. Does so much right with and without the puck.
- Grabovski. Dangle boy looks like he should be the second most point getter on this club. That was a huge addition by Snow.
- Nelson. Beast mode extrordinaire.
- Boychuk for the obvious reasons, but in general the defense put in a decent effort for about two periods. Half of the third was a fire drill, the first half of the 1st was just slop at times.
- They need to turn the physical play up on the bullies in the league.

Things I didn't like
- Conacher on the line with Tavares. There are moments of pure offense when he looks like he belongs there but then there is all the other stuff. He plays the part of the pest but he is just too friggin small to matter. He isn't drawing heat away from anyone, and tonight we got burned by it because Tavares has to jump to his defense with Gleason. It takes John off the ice, puts Carolina on the PP, allows Carolina a free shot on our best player, and lead to their first goal. Why is he there again?
- Coaching. The team started to wilt in the third and was saved in part by the lead. Against a team which is not a bottom feeder like Carolina that may not end as well next time. I also noticed many player changes that were a little behind where they should have been despite the puck getting put in deep. I suspect that the 4 on 2 in the 1st period was a result of a bad line change but couldn't see, but would not be surprised if it was.

It is good to have hockey back, and I hope the team can keep the momentum going. If they can stay at or above 500 until Vis and deHaan are back we are going to the playoffs.

On Griff, lots to like from this game. I thought he was better here than in preseason, but he wasn't perfect. He made some mistakes, a botched reverse to his partner was once of them that comes to mind, and he needs to play more physically simply because he can but IDK, if I had to choose between having him or Carkner on the club... If tonight's game was any indication he may be better than Carkner despite Matt's experience.

Last edited:

CLUTTERSTACHE*

7fuVxPO.png

hehe

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I watched the Carolina broadcast and even those announcers talked about Reinhart's effective play out there. He was very solid, so smart. Three things that stood out for me, compared to last year, are:
- overall talent level
- confidence
- smarts

As someone who understands the Lee-to-BP move, I can't help but think adding Lee, Grabner, deHaan and Visnovsky would make this team a serious player in the East! The talent level, likely linked to the overall confidence level, really stood out tonight. It's not just because it was CAR and took advantage of an early 5on3 - it was the way they carried the play, all four lines. They were just buzzing - everyone!

I know Tavares is outstanding and he gets enough league-wide respect. I also know that many fans are upset about Conacher (instead of Moulson/Vanek) on that top line but Tavares will probably get 100pts this year (if healthy) and the main reason - the defense. Wait until deHaan and Visnovsky get back - because the defensemen's ability to move the puck up ice, drive transition, help sustain offensive pressure will give Tavares far more time in the offensive zone and way more options. With his vision and decision making, it's going to really elevate his point totals. I don't think it makes him a "better player" per se - but he'll get much better stats as a result. The difference between players who can make a pass vs. slam it off the glass in a panic every time and lead the league in blocked shots is astronomical.

Boychuk is like a second Hamonic, who's better offensively and defensively and just as physical. Amazing no other team was willing to give up more than 2 seconds. What a joke?! Amazing move by Snow. Leddy is a hybrid of Hickey and Streit, in a good way.

Reinhart made so many subtle, smart, defensive plays with positioning (head-up, in front of the net) or reversing the play under pressure - I like the Kenny Morrow comparison but that's an enormous compliment not yet deserved. I can see the same traits though, which is huge.

So many great performances out there, Nelson, Strome, Grabovski, Boychuk, Hamonic, Cizikas (who's been great in the preseason as well).

On Strait. I know he's a whipping boy, but he's not a bad player. He's very strong defensively and very physical. He took a bad penalty, made some mistakes and will never be a strong puck mover - but he's an NHL defenseman, no doubt. He's probably 7th or 8th on the depth chart but hardly someone who "must go"

I saw Kulemin so many years with the Leafs and he was exactly what I expected. He uses his body so well along the boards, reminds me of John Tonelli (not a comparison. Not a comparison!) and he'll be very useful as the season wears on, especially against bigger teams.

What a difference to have depth, secondary scoring and solid defensemen. Isles haven't had this in at least 10 years, if not longer. Since 2009 it's been whatever JT can do and then pray that someone else can chip in or at least prevent a goal against until JT gets out there or we get a PP. It was horrible.

Today it was wave after wave.

If Hickey's a #6 defenseman on this Isles team then they will have a deep playoff run.

Halak was outstanding, especially at 0-0 and 2-0 - when a goal against would have (could have, like last year), crippled the team psyche/confidence.

These are good points, interesting Tonelli comparision too... I was thinking Kulemin was more of a Trent Hunter type, but maybe a little of both. Hunter's early years in the corners for sure.

I think this team needs to add the 4 guys (Lee, Grabner, Viz and CDH), my guess is that we won't have Grabner much this year, he will be very slow to recover and Viz might be the odd man out, Reinhart is going to become solid very quickly, typical of the son of an NHL player vs not....

I think this team could be in the top 4 in the Eastern Conference and inevitably matching up against Boston, they will struggle... that is why I would deal Bailey for Chris Neil at some point... Ottawa might be good for Bailey as it is his home town and Chris Neil will help this team out probably better than Clutterbuck at some point. You have to believe Lee would take Bailey's place in the top 9 and either Grabner or Conacher would be on that 3rd line while Lee would be on the first.

Only question is going to be November Rain.... we can't have our typical November slide, and if there is any sign of that Cappy's head has to be on a plate.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
things from this game:

very impressed with the 2nd line. I think this might just be the first time in a long time where we've had a legitimate 2nd line. Nielsen is a very good all around player, but is better suited as a 3C; i think his all around game can really thrive in that role.

I've been impressed with Nelson since the beginning of last year, and I really think he is poised for a breakout season this year. The guy is just what you like to see from a hockey player--good skater, doesn't shy away from physicality, good hockey IQ, combined with a large frame--all the important things.

Strome wasn't terribly noticeable or impressive at first, but than he started to pick up his game. Made a real good hit on the forecheck that created the Grabovski goal. Grabovski looks better than I expected him to be, kinda reminds me of a better version of mariusz czerkawski.

I liked the play of the 3rd line, and there were multiple instances where Bailey looked like a half decent hockey player. Kulemin and Nielsen--Kulemin moreso-- looked good at their end of the rink, while creating a few offensive opportunities.

the powerplay was absolutely lethal tonight, and i believe that is a byproduct of two things: having 2 legit powerplay units, along with having a dman thats able to launch a booming shot --one that doesnt get blocked--from the point.

the first line was good, but wasn't overly impressive, but they had a few decent chances. conacher hustled, and didnt look totally out of place. Jt had a solid game, but thats not really a surprise anymore. This year he cements himself as top 5 player in the league, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 90+ pts for him if he avoids getting injured. one thing--among many things-- i like about tavares is the fact that your never really worry about him losing his game, and having a bad season; something that happens with many different players that have had good seasons.

Halak made some good saves, and was solid despite giving up 3 goals. The addition of Boychuk and Leddy is huge for this team, and the D is only going to get better once de Hann returns. Hickey and Reinhardt would be a really solid 3rd paring( forget visnovsky; i feel like he has a clause in his contract that allows him to pretend to be injured for more than half the season. ) Reinhardt looked tentative at first, and afraid to use his size to his advantage, but started to get more physical as the game progressed. A few mistakes here and there, but nothing major, and certainly nothing like the boneheaded mistakes donovan would make.

I really think this team is going to surprise a lot of people this year; yea its the first game, and im sure every yokel is proclaiming that their team is "going to be the team to beat", but something just looks and feels different than in other years. reminds me of how they looked in 2012-2013, but better.

The barn deserves a good send off, and us fans deserve to watch a good team to rock the barn one last time on long island.

Scarlet Witch

Jun 1, 2012
Toronto
Leafs fan here. I didn't watch the game, and have noly rad the boxscore and the last page of this thread, but I'm really happy to see Grabovski score his first goal as an Islander, and I like seeing the positive comments on Kulemin. The Leafs buying out Grabovski was a huge mistake and I miss Kulemin as well. I hope they play very well for you guys this year and help get you guys into the playoffs. Enjoy them!

(I have them finishing 3rd in the division and beating the Rangers in the first round. Hope it happens for both you guys and me to make me look smart).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I thought the PP looked good all night, so I was very pleased with that.

The PK on the other hand, I thought was dog poop, even in the early going. Strait didn't look too good on the PK tonight.

Didn't like Conacher on the top line, there wasn't a whole lot of sustained pressure from the group because Conacher was getting rubbed out on the wall or retreating too quickly. It's one game, so I'm not ready to freak out over it, but that line really needs to play a possession game instead of trying to score solely on the transition.

Grabo Nelson Strome got better and better as the game went on. Nelson was dominant from start to finish, and I thought Grabo and Strome really started to pick up their play later in the game.

Bailey Nielsen Kulemin was pretty solid for most of the night. Bailey was actually throwing some hits in the 2nd period and raising the intensity by his standards. I'm pretty sure their good offensive pressure led to the Grabo goal from Strome, I could be mistaken though.

Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck is much better with Clutter there than with CMac, but I still don't agree with playing them to start periods, after goals, or to defend leads late in a game. At least Martin anyways.

Halak made the saves when they mattered most early on, let in one soft one. Was very happy with his overall game.

The defense was pretty good tonight. I thought Strait played the poorest of the bunch. Griff was positioned well most of the night and look pretty solid. He'll only improve. Loved Boychuck and Leddy tonight.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
NOt an Isles fan per se, but I watched that whole game. Nelson..wow. I heard people talk about him, but figured it was just non sense. PP, Pk, ES??? THe guy was everywhere. I rememver when he was drafted by 'E' I thought it was a total throw away pick...and now he's a stud muffin.

I thought Strome looked slow and nervous out there, but that Grabo goal got his game going (and he earned that point with a forecheck and sick pass).

Let's see not get carried away here..it's only Caroline!!

But wow

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I was especially pleased with Stromer tonight...he didn't have a wonderful camp but certainly looked like he belonged out there. If he blossoms along with Nelson this season, the offense is going to be scary good.

So many smart offensive plays. He's got the ability to produce based solely on his smarts. He's not big or fast but he has such great hockey sense. I don't like him at RW but he'll adjust and do just fine. I do like Grabo on the wing and always wondered why the Leafs never tried him there. Remove some defensive responsibility and play to his strengths - makes too much sense. I'm shocked Capuano is trying it!

The PK on the other hand, I thought was dog poop, even in the early going. Strait didn't look too good on the PK tonight.

Didn't like Conacher on the top line, there wasn't a whole lot of sustained pressure from the group because Conacher was getting rubbed out on the wall or retreating too quickly. It's one game, so I'm not ready to freak out over it, but that line really needs to play a possession game instead of trying to score solely on the transition.

Grabo Nelson Strome got better and better as the game went on. Nelson was dominant from start to finish, and I thought Grabo and Strome really started to pick up their play later in the game.

Bailey Nielsen Kulemin was pretty solid for most of the night. Bailey was actually throwing some hits in the 2nd period and raising the intensity by his standards. I'm pretty sure their good offensive pressure led to the Grabo goal from Strome, I could be mistaken though.

Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck is much better with Clutter there than with CMac, but I still don't agree with playing them to start periods, after goals, or to defend leads late in a game. At least Martin anyways.

Halak made the saves when they mattered most early on, let in one soft one. Was very happy with his overall game.

The defense was pretty good tonight. I thought Strait played the poorest of the bunch. Griff was positioned well most of the night and look pretty solid. He'll only improve. Loved Boychuck and Leddy tonight.

excellent post iLandHer

Leafs fan here. I didn't watch the game, and have noly rad the boxscore and the last page of this thread, but I'm really happy to see Grabovski score his first goal as an Islander, and I like seeing the positive comments on Kulemin. The Leafs buying out Grabovski was a huge mistake and I miss Kulemin as well. I hope they play very well for you guys this year and help get you guys into the playoffs. Enjoy them!

(I have them finishing 3rd in the division and beating the Rangers in the first round. Hope it happens for both you guys and me to make me look smart).

I was shocked when the Leafs bought out Grabovski even though I thought he made too much money (at that time, anyway). I wasn't a huge Grabovski fan because I hated him as a centre, he's a puck hog with tunnel vision that seemed difficult to play with, like Sergei Berezin used to be.

He seemed really energized tonight, he seems thinner and in better shape (he had real jump) and has seemed to smile all the time, even in pre-season. He came across as an angry, frustrated Leaf in the last two years there (and I can see why, with his comments on Nonis and Carlyle (probably Wilson too))

But he's a real talented offensive player who works really hard and he'll do really well on Long Island. He'll have a talented supporting cast playing with players like Strome, Nelson, Nielsen, Grabner and Bailey/Kulemin who complement his game. He only played 12 minutes tonight though, and he was noticeable, especially in the second half of the game.

As an aside. I really think the Leafs should tank for McDavid this year. Really go for it, like the Pens with Mario Lemieux years ago. Even Eichel (if they miss McDavid) along with Nylander, Rielly, Percy would transform that Leafs team in a few years, if they can keep Bernier happy through a re-build. But this is for another thread, another time, another board. :)

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Boychuks better than Harmonic also IMO. Vanek.
The trade was a brilliant no brainer.
Garth can't make up for the Vanek trade by re-signing Boychuk but letting him walk after the season would be a disaster.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Just finished watching the game and yeah, exactly what you said. Especially the Conacher bit. But of course, one game in, not freaking out, and all of that.....

MaryChristine*

NOt an Isles fan per se, but I watched that whole game. Nelson..wow. I heard people talk about him, but figured it was just non sense. PP, Pk, ES??? THe guy was everywhere. I rememver when he was drafted by 'E' I thought it was a total throw away pick...and now he's a stud muffin.

I thought Strome looked slow and nervous out there, but that Grabo goal got his game going (and he earned that point with a forecheck and sick pass).

Let's see not get carried away here..it's only Caroline!!

But wow

yep yep yep yep...

Loved the strome assist to graboski.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
A lot to like about this game. Definitely some issues as well though. Defense looked very sloppy, and the offense had problems getting things going at even strength. This game was definitely decided based on strength of special teams. The PK was just good enough to not get lit up, and the PP obviously dominated the Canes' PK.

That said, the positives there are numerous positives I am taking away from this game:

- When the defense broke down, goaltending bailed them out, at least until it didn't matter any more. That's a big difference from last year.
- Secondary scoring looks like it could be formidable, and should create match up nightmares for opposing coaches.
- D looks SO much bigger than last year with the additions of Boychuk and Reinhart.
- Reinhart looks like he belongs and was strong defensively. One play in particular where he effortlessly stripped the puck from Semin after a defensive zone turnover that last year would've resulted in a goal against stood out.
- Nelson and Strome both looked fantastic, Nelson obviously in particular.
- Leddy and Boychuk seem to belong, both looked better than I expected.
- Most of the issues I see can easily be chalked up to it being the first game of the season, and hopefully should be worked out as the season goes on.

I'm trying not to get too excited, as it's just one game and it was against Cam Ward who is a far sight from the goalie he once was and a Carolina team missing Skinner and one their Staals. But this team looks like it could be very dangerous once it gels. Starting to think that once de Haan is healthy, we should seriously consider this as the pairings:

de Haan-Boychuk (for all situations, and the majority of offensive zone starts)
Rainhart-Hamonic (shutdown pairing, gets the lion's share of defensive zone starts and whenever the opposing team's top scoring line is out)
Leddy-Hickey (eat sheltered minutes to rest the other pairings, and gets minutes on special teams)

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Very good game, but I'm not too happy about losing the 3rd period. Halak let in a couple of fairly soft goals but made the big saves when he needed to in the first and second.

Very impressed with the offense and Nelson is a BEAST!!!

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
@seph, I agree with the first d pairing but imo Leddy should play with Hamonic on the second and Hickey and Visnovsky should split time with Griff on the third pairing.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
@seph, I agree with the first d pairing but imo Leddy should play with Hamonic on the second and Hickey and Visnovsky should split time with Griff on the third pairing.

I like the idea of having a true shutdown D pairing, and Leddy just isn't suited to do it. If we were going to roll the pairings more evenly with less concern for matchups yours makes sense -- and given who our coach is, it might make sense to have more balanced pairings so that ensuring proper matchup is less of an issue.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
MM - 7 hits
Clutter - 4

You know who was in the middle?

Josh freaking Bailey - 5 hits

And that was in an away arena with all that means for home town bias hits tallies!

That handle is amazing! Ricky has some serious respect from me now. :handclap:

He was making plays. Unless you think he should be scoring goals. The 4th line was playing in the offensive end all night.

Tough crowd if anyone picks apart any member of that 4th line after this game. They did their jobs about as good as you could ask for.

Agreed. Unless you have a problem with the construction of the roster and want four scoring lines instead, there is nothing to complain about from the alliteration line...except Cappy's use of them of course.

At least he seems very excited about leading the league in points. :sarcasm:

:biglaugh:

Remi

Mar 2, 2012
Denmark
Did Nielsen only play 13 minutes? If that is how he is gonna be used through the season, would it not be better to trade him since his value is high?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad