Post-Game Talk: #1| NY Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes| October 10th 7:00 PM| Part II | F/W 5-3

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Don't know. Just wondering cause he was voted MVP last season by the fans and he should not play 10 minutes per game....which he hopefully will not anyway. :)

Nielson should be playing about 16-18 per game. Cizikas played 18:36 last night leading all fowards in icetime :help: They won but Cizikas should be in the 8-10min range . Alot of the weird ice time may be due to 3rd period being a"play it out" type of period last night.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I am a big Martin fan but the whole game I was left wondering how Carolina could be a one line club, and if we had Lee even on the 4th line how we could be a 4 line club, with two lines being defensive scoring hybrids. I would lean towards keeping Martin up and moving another guy though, but it may be my bias talking.

For all the good the 4th line did last night they could have used that extra bit of skill to turn penetration into something a little more dangerous.

I think Cizikas had the most ice time out of the forwards btw, but probably has more to do with the 5 PKs than anything.

I want Martin to play the Boulton role to be honest, that just goes to show the flexibility of the forward group now. Lee should definitely be here.

NHL Fanatik*

Devils fan here; Islanders looked great last night, but one player in particular looked just awful...

Halak. My god he looked so out of place. That second goal was not an easy save per say, but he wasn't even in position

Hopefully he can do a LOT better than that performance, because if he can the Islanders will be scary.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Devils fan here; Islanders looked great last night, but one player in particular looked just awful...

Halak. My god he looked so out of place. That second goal was not an easy save per say, but he wasn't even in position

Hopefully he can do a LOT better than that performance, because if he can the Islanders will be scary.

Yeah kind of agree with this. He made some great saves but the 2nd and 3rd goals weren't pretty. Needs to be better.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Well I must say this new look team is going places, been a fan since the earliest of days, and this was one of those opening nights of something special...

We finally have a top 6 that is in the upper echelon of the league, assuming that Lee will step into the first line and Conacher will be on the 3rd line. Conacher is not a bad player at all, rather him on that 3rd line than Bailey.

Halak was good but I have a feeling Johnson will outplay him this year.

Okposo didn't pile up the points on the night but he keeps getting smarter and smarter as a player.

I agree that the only true weak link tonight was Strait, he was good when we were in transition, but he looks weak comparative to the rest of the lineup.

Reinhart... reminds me of Ken Morrow, I know that is a lofty compliment, but that is what I see there, a very smart positional player. I think Hickey might be in the press box a lot.

I don't care what anyone says... we have one of the best 4th lines in hockey. Clutterbuck belongs on that line.. Martin is an essential piece of this team, you don't have a team with 12 Lees or 12 Stromes... you need these kinds of players.

As for Gerbe...if we weren't so deep at forward, I'd want this guy at the trade deadline... I think the Isles are missing this type of player

Only Concern... I hated seeing Weight and Cappy joking and smiling on the bench during the game... this is why we blow leads... if the coaches are content like that, players let up.... they need to save the smiles for post game......

Hey MM - I swear I didn't see your comment when I made similar comparison lol!

I remember first time seeing Morrow play in NHL and I got a very similar vibe. Reinhart was extremely good in front of the net and made smart, subtle plays all night long. Was very impressed - incredible first NHL game as far as I'm concerned.

The second bold - I completely agree. I was like these two have not earned the right to giggle behind the bench. Looked like a couple of fools. That said, game was pretty well coached but for the life of me I cannot stand Capuano.

Cannot decide on Gerbe. He is so small but is always in the middle of stuff. I have to admit I pay attention to him.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I pray to god we re-sign Boychuck, he is the perfect veteran D-man to move forward with, especially considering Visnovsky will most likely retire soon.

I said you guys would love Boychuk and I was right, wasn't I? :)

His first 3 point game in the NHL :yo:

I've always thought he had better offensive skill but in Boston's system he didn't get to show it that much.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I said you guys would love Boychuk and I was right, wasn't I? :)

His first 3 point game in the NHL :yo:

I've always thought he had better offensive skill but in Boston's system he didn't get to show it that much.

Absolutely, Boychuk looked great last night. I really think he will be a stabilizing defenseman for us this season. All the kids on the blue line will learn a lot from him, I really think he will help Hamonic take his game to the next level.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
So many smart offensive plays. He's got the ability to produce based solely on his smarts. He's not big or fast but he has such great hockey sense. I don't like him at RW but he'll adjust and do just fine. I do like Grabo on the wing and always wondered why the Leafs never tried him there. Remove some defensive responsibility and play to his strengths - makes too much sense. I'm shocked Capuano is trying it!

excellent post iLandHer

I was shocked when the Leafs bought out Grabovski even though I thought he made too much money (at that time, anyway). I wasn't a huge Grabovski fan because I hated him as a centre, he's a puck hog with tunnel vision that seemed difficult to play with, like Sergei Berezin used to be.

He seemed really energized tonight, he seems thinner and in better shape (he had real jump) and has seemed to smile all the time, even in pre-season. He came across as an angry, frustrated Leaf in the last two years there (and I can see why, with his comments on Nonis and Carlyle (probably Wilson too))

But he's a real talented offensive player who works really hard and he'll do really well on Long Island. He'll have a talented supporting cast playing with players like Strome, Nelson, Nielsen, Grabner and Bailey/Kulemin who complement his game. He only played 12 minutes tonight though, and he was noticeable, especially in the second half of the game.

As an aside. I really think the Leafs should tank for McDavid this year. Really go for it, like the Pens with Mario Lemieux years ago. Even Eichel (if they miss McDavid) along with Nylander, Rielly, Percy would transform that Leafs team in a few years, if they can keep Bernier happy through a re-build. But this is for another thread, another time, another board. :)
RB, I am not sure that wing is the best position for Grabovski.
Grabo is an East/West skater and wing is more suitable to a North/South skater. He followed the play last night and got into a nice position to snipe the corner, but normally I would like to see a wing staying in their lane, not creating chaos or drifting to close to center.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...nalty-killing-unit-allows-two-goals-1.9491176

After finishing 29th in penalty-killing a season ago, the Islanders know they must be better when down a man. They were under pressure on an early Hurricanes power play Friday night, with only Jaroslav Halak to save them on a couple of occasions.

"We know it has to be better," coach Jack Capuano said before the game. "We've made some tweaks and now we have to execute. We have the guys who can do the job and they have to show that or they won't be out there."
"We still gave up two, so we have to be a little sharper there," Halak said. "You know you get the best five guys from the other team on the power play, so we have to be better."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...158?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

RALEIGH, N.C. - For a night, all the moves the Islanders made in the offseason worked. Things fell into place, the new goaltender made a couple of key stops early, the new defenseman unleashed a few big shots from the point on the power play and the new forward (one of them, anyway) scored an important goal to stem any opposition comeback.

For a night, all was right with the Islanders. Their 5-3 win over the Hurricanes was more commanding than the final score indicated, with the Isles taking a 5-1 lead with 7:41 to go before Carolina netted a couple of late goals.
The season opener Friday night, with eight new players out of 20 dressed, was a resounding success.

"For a first game, yeah, it wasn't too bad," said Johnny Boychuk, who was acquired from the Bruins last Saturday, spent a week practicing and produced the game's first goal, a slapper from the point during a five-on-three advantage 17:06 into the first period. "We did some good things. I didn't think that first one would come that quick."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad