Post-Game Talk: #1| FLYERS at Boston |Wed., Oct. 8, 2014|

GetACliroux

Sep 15, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Things I noticed:
- Giroux was pretty much invisible (attribute that to his injury?)
- Couts played well. Looks like he's gonna bring it up a notch this year
- Simmonds looks good with the A and played a solid game
- Vinny looked pretty decent on the 3rd line. was back checking really well
- Schenn and MDZ were good together. Both made some strong defensive plays. That last goal was fluky. But MDZ did have a man marked (wasn't his, but someone)
- Streit was alright but we really cannot afford turnovers like that
- 4th line was our best line IMO. Rinaldo had some really solid bursts through the neutral zone and despite that bad penalty played a decent game.
- I really like Bellemare
- Coburn looked pretty lost
- Mason played a really really well in net against an Elite Boston squad

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Raffl experiment was tried enough last year & didn't produce much. He's just not an offensive player at least not for top 6 standards.

Here's a crazy scenario that might just come true. Bellemare is so good he ends up as the 1LW, they bring up Laughton to be the 4C, and trade BSChenn for an extra 2015 1st.

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
Aside from the penalty. It is interesting how so many other posters saw the opposite. Which is Rinaldo was actually playing better with more focus.

The penalty resulted in a goal against us in a game that we lost by a goal differential by 1 and it wasnt even a reputation call. It was just a dumb penalty taken by him. I bet Krug laughed his ass off later on the bench.
This is not how you play smart hockey. Also he just had ~8 minutes of icetime, thats too much damage from a guy who has so little icetime and impact on the ice.
Additionally it wasnt the first time a bad Rinaldo play or penalty lead to a goal against us.

Even if Rinaldo wasnt that bad as he usually is, that doesnt mean the Flyers dont have better options than him.

The big contributor on the fourth line yesterday was Bellemare not Rinaldo. I think this fourth line with Laughton centering Bellemare and Akeson could be much better than the already good/ok 4th line from yesterday. At least its worth a try.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Brayden Schenn looks like he is handling one of these instead of a hockey stick :shakehead

32029.jpg

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
PP point's to win games here we come but let's float 5 on 5 but I should stop. Disagree if you want but he's not the same player from afew years ago except points but last year was nothing like what we watched when he took the team on his back with Jagr. Not even close.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
G gets shut down by good defensive teams. NJD, Rangers, Bruins, etc etc. I'm sorry but if this team continues to be a one line team, and giroux has shown that he can be shutdown on a regular basis, then we are never going to be serious contenders.

G and Voracek need to be split up for this team to ever reach their highest potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Whose going to carry the puck into the offensive zone on the 1st line then? BSchenn and Simmonds? Giroux's not fast enough to be the only guy on his line who can carry the puck into the zone.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I thought that Berube contributed.

He kept trying to get Giroux vs Spooner... so started him more in the defensive zone. First change Bergeron came out anyway... so you are just in the neutral zone vs Bergeron instead of having established pressure if you win a faceoff.

Berube did it last year at times, he linematches his own lines out of games at times.

Bergeron is darn good though... he did take 2 penalties today though. Albeit one incorrectly called on Eriksson.

Berube (or whoever changes the forwards) was responsible for the only goal the Flyers scored. Bergeron's line came on the ice first on the fly and Berube sent out Couturier. That line pinned Bergeron for a bit and when Simmer changed for Jake, the pressure was sustained.

This game just showed the advantage the home team has for match ups if you are willing to take advantage of it. The Flyers need to do that themselves on home ice.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Whose going to carry the puck into the offensive zone on the 1st line then? BSchenn and Simmonds? Giroux's not fast enough to be the only guy on his line who can carry the puck into the zone.

That is why i have always said the problem with this team is the forward group.

Good teams have multiple players that can skate the puck into the zone and possess it. Gone are the day of dump and chase.

We have 1 forward that can bring the puck in the zone on a regular basis. Its a shame we traded jvr because he has become very good at carrying the puck into the zone.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
That is why i have always said the problem with this team is the forward group.

Good teams have multiple players that can skate the puck into the zone and possess it. Gone are the day of dump and chase.

We have 1 forward that can bring the puck in the zone on a regular basis. Its a shame we traded jvr because he has become very good at carrying the puck into the zone.
Spot on! Not a fast group or a skilled group or a forechecking group.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
how about giving some credits to Bergeron instead of blaming Giroux, he did a hell of job won 10 out of 12 faceoffs vs Giroux, you're not going to do much if you can't have the puck.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Credit is there but Bergeron didn't really have to try as G did not show up and that happens lots lately compared to linemate Voracek.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
ONE game and were already talking about trading Giroux. It's starting early this year. What a joke.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I agree with Hatcher that Giroux does not receive enough criticism for his play, But I disagree with his evaluation of effort G puts in.

G gets shut down by good defensive teams. NJD, Rangers, Bruins, etc etc. I'm sorry but if this team continues to be a one line team, and giroux has shown that he can be shutdown on a regular basis, then we are never going to be serious contenders.

G and Voracek need to be split up for this team to ever reach their highest potential.

he does receive his share of criticism. Were we not all giving him **** last year in October and into early November?
As far as last night goes, I agree that he gets a pass last night. We have seen this before from Bergeron. He shuts down the other teams best players. Add into that you have Chara on the ice as well and it should not be a surprise. that is how that team is built to play.
He doesn't score often against teams with an elite goaltender. are really going to get on him for that? I disagree Voracek needs to be split up from Giroux. who else you going to put in there? Read? Umberger?
Its one ****ing game and people are already flipping the **** out. color me shocked.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Was he great in that game? No, obviously not, but it sure as hell wasn't a lack of effort or because he wasn't giving 100% the entire time. It's because he got shut down by a very good team who the Flyers always struggle against (and I think are easily the hardest team for the Flyers to beat).

The problem is that right now his line is the only one that's dangerous at 5v5, that's why teams can focus 100% on them, like Boston did last night and NY did during the playoffs. The good news is that the lines are far more balanced now and I believe as the season progresses the other lines will start doing much better, which will take some attention and pressure off Giroux.

I also don't know why you're acting like he's bad at 5v5, last year he had 21 goals and 49 points at even strength and there's no way you can use that **** as an excuse for not being on team Canada.
I get alittle crazy sometimes because I want this team to win. That was the first game of the year and we didn't get many chances. Most teams are big and fast and play tight D a G is feeling that now since his breakout year.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Going with a Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds line and a Read - Couturier - Voracek line would certainly be interesting. I think Giroux really needs two physical wingers to clear space for him and let him work his magic. As for last night's game, I'm willing to give Giroux a pass. So what, the Flyers lost. It won't be the last game they lose this year. To blame everything on Giroux is ridiculous. How about Braydon Coburn and Andrew MacDonald getting some serious hate for terrible they were? And in the case of Coburn, he's the longest tenured player on the defense. This should be his group to lead and he looks like a bumbling idiot out there. I'd be more mad about that than Giroux losing face offs to a demon like Patrice Bergeron.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Going with a Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds line and a Read - Couturier - Voracek line would certainly be interesting. I think Giroux really needs two physical wingers to clear space for him and let him work his magic. As for last night's game, I'm willing to give Giroux a pass. So what, the Flyers lost. It won't be the last game they lose this year. To blame everything on Giroux is ridiculous. How about Braydon Coburn and Andrew MacDonald getting some serious hate for terrible they were? And in the case of Coburn, he's the longest tenured player on the defense. This should be his group to lead and he looks like a bumbling idiot out there. I'd be more mad about that than Giroux losing face offs to a demon like Patrice Bergeron.
Agreed but our best player has to be able to to board battle and play for his wingers away more then that. I have seen G dominate Bergeron and the Chara before and that doesn't mean just pts. Flat like last year and the devils will do the same tonite to him and then he'll have 4pts against some **** team worse than ours and we'll say he's back. 8mil is too much for this effort last night and if it continues watch out.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The big contributor on the fourth line yesterday was Bellemare not Rinaldo. I think this fourth line with Laughton centering Bellemare and Akeson could be much better than the already good/ok 4th line from yesterday. At least its worth a try.

Absolutely. I'd be all for this.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

I am not convinced Coburn can lead a pairing or a group long term. He can do it in spurts but way to many times we have seen the stupid Coburn. He will have that few game stretch where he gives you that angry Coburn that plays great and then he goes back to his bumbling self. How long have we seen it from him?
I have said it before I am not to worried about the forwards over the course of the season. they are going to have their moments when they are shut down like everyone else but this defensive group is likely going to cause me to drink way to much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad