Post-Game Talk: #1| FLYERS at Boston |Wed., Oct. 8, 2014|

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Don't ruin the narrative with facts.

It was Raffl's guy that scored the PP goal not Coburn's. Just sayin

First, it's a PK. It's less about having the man, and more about guarding as much territory as possible while cutting off passing lanes.

Second, Coburn left the front of the net completely unguarded. That's wrong, plain and simple. If he stays on the near post, he can cut off Soderberg's lane across while keeping tabs on Eriksson. Smith never even has a chance to make that cut to the net.

Raffl could and should have played Smith tighter, but in terms of assessing fault, I'd say maybe 10% is on him. That still would have left the right point open since Umberger decided it was a good idea to join the scrum for some reason. Everyone on the ice ****ed up (except Mason), but Coburn's was clearly the most egregious error. Everyone else's mistakes may have been mitigated (or erased altogether) if Coburn protects his net like he's supposed to.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Grossmann and MDZ don't play the right side.

I realize that, but having MDZ play 20 minutes a night is a recipe for failure as well as having Grossmann play 17 minutes a night. Lets minimize their playing time and allow the actually decent defenseman play a bulk of the minutes.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah. No matter what we do, we don't have a legitimate top pairing.

Bingo!

No matter how you slice and dice this D corps...that is the issue and why we have a lack of continuity. Plus this is still partly a holdover effect from Homer and trying to constitute the D to protect Bryz.

I'm not so sure this somewhat orthodox strategy by Berube to put a puck mover with a stay at home type is good either. Intuitively it would seem so...but in real life it has been less than complementary. This is what happens when you constitute your D in a haphazard way with D men like Luke and Gross who are not fleet of foot. Thankfully, our pipeline should fix this problem in a year or two....

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I don't know why people complain about the defenseman. We already knew what we had and what we would go through during the season. This isn't groundbreaking. This team will have to go through this until the younger players are ready to make the jump. Everyone is beating a dead horse.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Every time Chara made a play with his "long stick", as Pierre loves to mention, it just made me pine for when we can finally play Morin in the lineup.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Regarding Chara and his reach,

Maybe I'm just a cynic but I don't think Chara should be allowed to use the stick he uses. The league mandates that a stick cannot be larger than X (I don't know the exact measurement) but Chara is allowed to use a longer stick than that.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
How is AMac a simpleton? Why is it that he partnered and played well last year with Schenn, but he's a simpleton the moment he partners with Coburn?

I can't explain this "phenomenonmenonmenona"....he looks lost out there with Coburn and vice versa. But I do know that his D style with defensive zone entries is not the stuff of a first pairing D man.

Look I'm not saying Coburn is not playing poorly but people on here are way too harsh on him and the moment he is traded..and especially for picks like some are willing to get as a return just to get rid of him...people would be complaining how we don't have a big minutes D man.

This defensive mess is not all Coburn's fault but some people like to scapegoat the guy unfairly IMO.

I would still prefer to keep Coburn over AMac any time of the day......AMac hasn't show me much to have confidence in him long term at all. At least Coburn has shown much more...

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I can't explain this "phenomenonmenonmenona"....he looks lost out there with Coburn and vice versa. But I do know that his D style with defensive zone entries is not the stuff of a first pairing D man.

Look I'm not saying Coburn is not playing poorly but people on here are way too harsh on him and the moment he is traded..and especially for picks like some are willing to get as a return just to get rid of him...people would be complaining how we don't have a big minutes D man.

This defensive mess is not all Coburn's fault but some people like to scapegoat the guy unfairly IMO.I would still prefer to keep Coburn over AMac any time of the day......AMac hasn't show me much to have confidence in him long term at all. At least Coburn has shown much more...

You mean kinda like you were doing with MacDonald?

Most people know the defense stinks, and it's not all on the shoulders of one or two guys. Like someone else said, we have a bunch of guys that are better in complementary roles, but are being asked to either lead a pair or play more minutes than they're capable of.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006

Most people know the defense stinks, and it's not all on the shoulders of one or two guys. Like someone else said, we have a bunch of guys that are better in complementary roles, but are being asked to either lead a pair or play more minutes than they're capable of.

Pretty much. Which is why we all are just going to have to be patient and ride it out. They need to play good team defense to mask the individual deficiencies on the back end.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I can't wait until sanheim and ghost are on the team. Having defensemen who can actually get the puck out, and up to giroux will do wonders

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

MacD needs sheltered minutes...there was a stat about how him and Luke against the Rangers had the most favorable match ups among the pairings. Their success was deceiving as a result. I trust Coburn's capabilities in a shutdown/first pairing role far more than MacD even it it was with Kimmo mostly. He has proven himself with durability and big minutes over all these years..albeit inconsistently (a fair knock). I trust Coburn over AMac as a result. Coburn deserves criticism but not to be scapegoated by the haters on here. AMac hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt in my mind and certainly not the security of his contract with his play or lousy matador D at the defensive blueline..

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Bingo!

No matter how you slice and dice this D corps...that is the issue and why we have a lack of continuity. Plus this is still partly a holdover effect from Homer and trying to constitute the D to protect Bryz.

I'm not so sure this somewhat orthodox strategy by Berube to put a puck mover with a stay at home type is good either. Intuitively it would seem so...but in real life it has been less than complementary. This is what happens when you constitute your D in a haphazard way with D men like Luke and Gross who are not fleet of foot. Thankfully, our pipeline should fix this problem in a year or two....

I never hear people criticize this enough. I realize he only has the players available to him right now, but he stuck with that all of last year despite having Gustafsson, Timonen, and Meszaros (yes, I know one of those isn't like the others). Going by his quotes it's a primary reason why Gustafsson never got a lineup spot because he likes to pair big defensive D with puck movers so Grossmann always had a spot.

It doesn't work in real life because big D who can only do things in the defensive zone don't work in today's world. The game revolves around having the puck and shooting it into another net so it's very nonsensical to have players who can't even handle one such as Grossmann. I mean, you know what's better then just a big body or just a good pair of hands? Both or perhaps the ability to compensate for one.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I can't wait until sanheim and ghost are on the team. Having defensemen who can actually get the puck out, and up to giroux will do wonders

Yeah, that pass that Bellemare sprung him with last night was the first I've seen for Giroux in a LONG time. If anyone else but Chara were chasing him, he probably would've gone in for the deke

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I never hear people criticize this enough. I realize he only has the players available to him right now, but he stuck with that all of last year despite having Gustafsson, Timonen, and Meszaros (yes, I know one of those isn't like the others). Going by his quotes it's a primary reason why Gustafsson never got a lineup spot because he likes to pair big defensive D with puck movers so Grossmann always had a spot.

It doesn't work in real life because big D who can only do things in the defensive zone don't work in today's world. The game revolves around having the puck and shooting it into another net so it's very nonsensical to have players who can't even handle one such as Grossmann. I mean, you know what's better then just a big body or just a good pair of hands? Both or perhaps the ability to compensate for one.

Bingo!

LOL. This is just BS.

Boston and many other teams employ the same philosophy as the flyers when it comes to trying to have balanced defensive pairings.

Chara-Hamilton
Seids-McQuaid
Krug-Miller

The difference is just the talent level. Point blank period.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
LOL. This is just BS.

Boston and many other teams employ the same philosophy as the flyers when it comes to trying to have balanced defensive pairings.

Chara-Hamilton
Seids-McQuaid
Krug-Miller

The difference is just the talent level. Point blank period.

This year, yeah so long as we leave the prospects out of it. Last year he was bullheaded about it with more options available to him.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
The penalty resulted in a goal against us in a game that we lost by a goal differential by 1 and it wasnt even a reputation call. It was just a dumb penalty taken by him. I bet Krug laughed his ass off later on the bench.
This is not how you play smart hockey. Also he just had ~8 minutes of icetime, thats too much damage from a guy who has so little icetime and impact on the ice.
Additionally it wasnt the first time a bad Rinaldo play or penalty lead to a goal against us.
He made one bad play and two great ones. The rest was OK. The bad play happened to have resulted in a goal, the two good ones didn't, but that wasn't his fault. You shouldn't judge his play by the outcome, but by the plays themselves. If Boston didn't score, it would still have been a bad penalty. Likewise, just because the other two guys didn't score, that doesn't invalidate the fact that the plays were great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad