Minnesota
20.6% chance at the playoffs right now.

aJTXs8B.png

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western/Central/Minnesota.html

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
How exactly is intentionally losing "losing the right way"? Doesn't seem very right to me...

Here's what it means:

1. Give all players plenty of time to heal whenever they need to heal. None of this coming back half ready ******** we see every year. Sit them on IR until they're ready, and then sit them a couple games more for good measure.

2. Stop playing Suter for 30 minutes a night and let the lesser defensemen get minutes and grow a little.

3. No trades for bandaids or shakeup purposes.

4. Bench the vets and let the kids run the show so they can grow a bit more.

5. Give the starting spot back to Kuemper. Give him the rest of the season and the following offseason to beat his demons with the expectation that he is ready, mentally, for a full time or 50/50 split time starter position next season.

Result: draft pick around 8-12, less stupid and pointless injuries (think Backs and Hards both being overworked at the end of a completely lost season under TR, those were pointless injuries as both should have been done for the year), Suter doesn't get over-fatigued and gets sort of a break and has his prime hopefully prolonged a little due to reduced wear, and Kuemper either rights his ship or we know for certain that he's a headcase and we can cut him loose.

If the Wild can not straighten out and get back to their early season form in a hurry, then this is the plan we may as well follow. We're not going to intentionally tank, but neither are we going to play desperate hockey for the last half of a lost season which would result in all kinds of fatigue related injuries, lost assets from desperation trades, more wear and tear on Suter, less growth from the kids since you know Yeo is going to be relying fully on the vets at this point, and perpetuation of Kuemper's headcase syndrome due to expectations that are beyond his reach.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
How about we fire the ****ing coach and get a half assedness goalie instead of raising the white flag of surrender?

I swear this ****ing boards answer to everything is, "let's lose and next year we will get the next Gretzky and win it all for infinity"

Pick a sport and it's the same mentality always on here

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
How do you sell giving up on the season to Leipold? Seriously, with the crapton of money he has invested in this team I don't see any possibility for him allowing that to happen.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Was at the game. Probably went to about 10 in a row over the past couple years where we won them all. Now they've lost the last three. :(

Played great in the second. Can't say enough positive about Zucker. Not much else to say than it was just another day at the X - losing games and doubling teams in shots.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Yep. Just quit...that'll solve it. Lose the "right way." My ass. Fletcher also quoted as saying this isn't a coaching issue...but this board and this team's "fans" know better... makes me wonder how all these "experts" don't have jobs in hockey. No wait, it confirms why they don't.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
6 freaking points out of the playoffs with at least 1 game in hand on every team above us? Come on, it isn't over.

6 points out of a playoff spot, 5 points out of a top 4 pick.

And games in hand mean jack all if you don't win those games.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We've been one of the worst teams in the league for two months now, after being a mediocre team for the first one.

If we really are better than this, and the turn around is bound to come, why hasn't it come? Three months and this is where we are, why does anyone think the next three will be magically different?

There's something fundamentally wrong with this team, and getting a high pick won't change it, but it damn sure won't hurt.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yep. Just quit...that'll solve it. Lose the "right way." My ass. Fletcher also quoted as saying this isn't a coaching issue...but this board and this team's "fans" know better... makes me wonder how all these "experts" don't have jobs in hockey. No wait, it confirms why they don't.

Mediocrity breeds mediocrity. We've been a middle of the road team for pretty much our entire existence. You don't get better that way, you just stay mediocre. Look at all the good teams out there. Virtually all of them have high end talent, especially at the C position. We don't. Yeah you could get lucky in the draft at 10-15, or you could suck for a season and get that high end C we need.

Seriously go look at teams in the playoffs and their #1 C. You'll find names like Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Galchenyuk, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Toews, Sedin, Thornton, Couture, Kopitar.

We have...Koivu.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
6 points out of a playoff spot, 5 points out of a top 4 pick.

And games in hand mean jack all if you don't win those games.

Soooo because we are closer to being at the bottom by a point we should stop trying?

And I realize games in hand are irrelevant if you don't win... But at least they have a chance at an extra 2 points.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Mediocrity breeds mediocrity. We've been a middle of the road team for pretty much our entire existence. You don't get better that way, you just stay mediocre. Look at all the good teams out there. Virtually all of them have high end talent, especially at the C position. We don't. Yeah you could get lucky in the draft at 10-15, or you could suck for a season and get that high end C we need.

Seriously go look at teams in the playoffs and their #1 C. You'll find names like Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Galchenyuk, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Toews, Sedin, Thornton, Couture, Kopitar.

We have...Koivu.

This x1000.

And it's nothing new. We have never, ever had a proper center on this team. I am unsure how this is possible but it is. Even when Koivu peaked he was a 2C. GREAT TEAMS HAVE GREAT CENTERS AND GREAT GOALIES. End of story.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We're not just going to magically become a contender with the players we have. It's a personnel issue, and the way you fix personnel issues is by changing personnel. We have an amazing opportunity to add high end personnel this season, and you guys want to get rid of that for what? An 8th seed finish, maybe? Is losing in the first round of playoffs again that satisfying for you?

Our core of Parise, Koivu, Pominville, Vanek are all getting older, statistically on the decline of their careers. We're clearly not going to win a cup with them leading the way, so why do so many of you guys want to go all in within the next couple years? We need to build on the Ninos, Zuckers, Coyles, etc. We need high end young players. That's how you win championships, high end young players. Not 30+ vets who can't score more than 60 points.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you guys are ok with going all in with what we have, fine, enjoy your 8th place finishes year after year. If you actually want to win a cup though, you need high end talent, especially at C, which you only get through the draft. You don't sign #1 centers or trade for them.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
We're not just going to magically become a contender with the players we have. It's a personnel issue, and the way you fix personnel issues is by changing personnel. We have an amazing opportunity to add high end personnel this season, and you guys want to get rid of that for what? An 8th seed finish, maybe? Is losing in the first round of playoffs again that satisfying for you?

Our core of Parise, Koivu, Pominville, Vanek are all getting older, statistically on the decline of their careers. We're clearly not going to win a cup with them leading the way, so why do so many of you guys want to go all in within the next couple years? We need to build on the Ninos, Zuckers, Coyles, etc. We need high end young players. That's how you win championships, high end young players. Not 30+ vets who can't score more than 60 points.

That said, we had better hope our veteran players can still PLAY when they are 34-35 and our young guys are in their prime. And IF we ever acquire a #1 C through trade or through the draft we had better hope he comes of age and can lead this team with youth and energy.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle

I'm all for changing some personell. I say let's do it right now and bring a new goalie and ship out whoever it takes amongst Haula, Coyle, Fontaine and a lick.

Let's change that personell!

I'm with ya brother!

However, I am not with the absurd thought this team should just "lose the right way" in the hopes of McDavid! That is a stupid, stupid mentality and breeds franchises like the Oilers!

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm all for changing some personell. I say let's do it right now and bring a new goalie and ship out whoever it takes amongst Haula, Coyle, Fontaine and a lick.

Let's change that personell!

I'm with ya brother!

However, I am not with the absurd thought this team should just "lose the right way" in the hopes of McDavid! That is a stupid, stupid mentality and breeds franchises like the Oilers!

The **** do you want to bring in at goal? Ward? Enroth?

Yeah, let's bring in a below average to average goalie, just like we've had every other year we finish 8-10th, get a pick in the 10-15 range, just like every other year, and hope something clicks one day and all this average suddenly becomes great.

Good plan. Hope it works out for you.

Billy Mays Here*

It also built the Penguins, Blackhawks, and Lightning.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

I truly see your points but I just don't agree completely. I could write a novel on why but a lot of would be ranting and some would be way out in left field. When I say this season isn't over, I am not saying trade away our best young talent and give up the prospects for players.

I am saying that with this team we can still crack the top 8 and if it takes giving up a pick or two for a moderate goaltending improvement I am for it. I am not saying lets trade Coyle, Zucker and Oloffson for Brian Gionta. If goaltending can be improved by way of trade without sacrificing the future, I am all for it. By no means am I saying let's give up our 1st round pick either. I just think the negativity on these boards for a team that is 6 pts out not even at the break is ridiculous.

BTW, before the season started, nobody would have said we didn't have the personnel to go all in on this season, nobody.

BTW (part 2): What is our record against the central? If we make it to the playoffs, I am confident we can beat anybody with a healthy team and average goaltending.

Billy Mays Here*

I truly see your points but I just don't agree completely. I could write a novel on why but a lot of would be ranting and some would be way out in left field. When I say this season isn't over, I am not saying trade away our best young talent and give up the prospects for players.

I am saying that with this team we can still crack the top 8 and if it takes giving up a pick or two for a moderate goaltending improvement I am for it. I am not saying lets trade Coyle, Zucker and Oloffson for Brian Gionta. If goaltending can be improved by way of trade without sacrificing the future, I am all for it. By no means am I saying let's give up our 1st round pick either. I just think the negativity on these boards for a team that is 6 pts out not even at the break is ridiculous.

BTW, before the season started, nobody would have said we didn't have the personnel to go all in on this season, nobody.

That's not the point he's making. The point he's making is even if we do turn it around and make the playoffs, it won't matter in the long run. We need a game breaker to break through this barrier of just slipping into the playoffs over and over and constantly drafting 10th-14th overall isn't going to get us one.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
The **** do you want to bring in at goal? Ward? Enroth?

Yeah, let's bring in a below average to average goalie, just like we've had every other year we finish 8-10th, get a pick in the 10-15 range, just like every other year, and hope something clicks one day and all this average suddenly becomes great.

Good plan. Hope it works out for you.
If you are all in on McDavid your plan is a lot worse. You need to jettison players to get this current team to where that is reality.

With Kuempstrom this team is a contender for the play offs.

Who do you want to dump to get McDavid?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If you are all in on McDavid your plan is a lot worse. You need to jettison players to get this current team to where that is reality.

With Kuempstrom this team is a contender for the play offs.

Who do you want to dump to get McDavid?

I've never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever said we should go for McDavid. You won't find one single post out of almost 7,000 where I advocate going for McDavid. I encourage you to go through my post history, and look.

Try again.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
That's not the point he's making. The point he's making is even if we do turn it around and make the playoffs, it won't matter in the long run. We need a game breaker to break through this barrier of just slipping into the playoffs over and over and constantly drafting 10th-14th overall isn't going to get us one.

It truly just doesn't make sense to me. I apologize for being narrow minded or whatever you want to call it. I just don't believe this roster is as bad as we are making it out to be and I also don't see how we can guarantee we can't find a good fit with picking 10-14.

Billy Mays Here*

It truly just doesn't make sense to me. I apologize for being narrow minded or whatever you want to call it. I just don't believe this roster is as bad as we are making it out to be and I also don't see how we can guarantee we can't find a good fit with picking 10-14.

No need to apologize, it's just a discussion.

As for us finding one in 10-14, well, I'd say our draft history in that department speaks for itself. We've only had one game breaking player, and he was the 3rd overall pick (don't get me started at Pouliot taken 4th overall). Unless our drafting suddenly gets as good as Detroit, no way can we fill our needs picking 10-14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig