Post-Game Talk: 1/6/18 | Canucks 2 @ Leafs 3 | Shoot out loss

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm bitter we didn't lose in regulation and taking it out on the leafs. There are you happy now PG?

Lol I’m just saying I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Markstrom played really well. I don’t know how far the Leafs will go, but they have a pretty solid team.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good effort. Team lacks the killer instinct (or ability) and can't at this point take out a team when they have the chance. Leafs hung around and ultimately showed a bit more talent.

Good

Dowd - not really understanding why he got so much OT time but again was excellent defensively and on the PK. Showing much better wheels than expected and looks very much like a serviceable 4th liner. At this point, LA can basically toss aside such players while we really can use him. Would play him ahead of Eriksson and that is truly sad.

Sedins - much better two way game. Created chances and controlled the puck better. Probably the max effort you are going to get out of them at this point

Gudbranson - not error free but played big and moved the puck well. Had to cover up for some poor play of others Not a bad audition for any trade to an Eastern team.

Boeser - our best player ... again. Do think he runs out of gas a bit as the game goes on but not only our best scorer but also best play maker

Gaunce - that, to me, was his best game. Handled the puck better, was excellent on the forecheck and got physical. Ontario boys often really show up for games in TO

del Zotto - logged big moments and played well both ways.

Stecher - got back to looking like he looked for a lot of last season. Pushed the play offensively and did better in his end. Had some real energy in this game. Does, however, need to start producing points

Bad

Pouliot - just too damn slow. Wants to always slow every thing down. Need a sun dial to measure his movement with the puck. One problem with the team is players want to play at different tempos. Some like Boeser and Virtanen want to play at speed while others like Pouliot, Vanek and the Sedins want to play slow, puck control hockey. Pouliot might have been suited to playing in the 1960s the way he lugs around. Throughout game, Pouliot was way back behind the play where he had time to dilly dally with the puck. But this does not allow you to make moves at speed or support the puck. Also got bounced off the puck too much in his end and again chasing the play.

Others

Edler - some good, some bad. Was at times a stalwart around the net but got caught by Toronto's speed at times and really wasn't smart on the PP. Trouble is that Edler gets played like a#1 D-man who can do it all when he is probably and pretty good #3 who works his end well. Canucks need a PP QB. God knows we could use Dahlin.

Granlund - one of his better games. Still he looked out-manned physically and couldn't do anything with his chances.

Virtanen - hopefully can start to finish some chances. Was good on the forecheck and dangerous off the rush at times. He is a lot less error prone and showing a much better idea of staying continuosly in the play. Looking a lot less like the bust he was presumed to be last season

Chaput - give him credit for tremendous work rate but he has virtually no stick skills. Frequently the line with Gaunce and Virtanen was reminiscent of the of Chaput line of last season. Put on a good forechck but Chaput could do nothing with the puck when the puck did get turned over.

Goldobin - signs of progress in his overall game. However he must bury chances if he has any chance of sticking in the NHL. Needs to get off shot more quickly.

You wonder how long Tanev is out. Like to see Wiercoich get a look.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Two takeaways: Simpson is annoying..he clearly hates us. He couldn't stop gushing about Matthews and in ot after Boeser ringed it off the post and they were revising it he waned to talked about how leafs almost won it. That was painful.

Also very depressing to see Granlund and Eriksson to start ot and then have Nic Dowd on for the last minute.

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
That snap shot in OT was wicked. Elite wrister, snapper and slapper. Boeser has all the shots.

yes he does...now he needs an elite playmaker to feed him the shots...pettersson coming right up!

i can see pettersson horvat boeser next year...which is perfect because for pettersson to be a center in the NHL he needs like 2-3 more years to fill out...and naturally hes been playing LW and dominating SHL so yea that's probably the likely scenario.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Boeser actually outplayed Matthews in this one...shaping up as one of the best first-round draft picks in team history....that release...wow!....it's Ovechkin-like....a half an inch and that's post and in.

But no sugar-coating it, another blown third-period lead......and another near awful goal let in by Markstrom....but got bailed out by a coaches challenge. He's a frustrating goaltender. It's not that he doesn't make some great saves....but unfortunately when they need a save to protect a lead, they just can't get one.

And finally, is Eriksson hurt or something?.....or is he just that bad?

At least you are consistent about hating Marky, whether it's warranted or not. I think you've made up your mind and even when he plays well you'll just ignore it

Reactions: thepoeticgoblin

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This team has gone from 'exciting and fun' earlier in the season to 'depression and angst' now.

I want this season to be over already

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Thinking Boeser had scored a laser precise OT winner to clinch the game only to have it actually have gone off both posts is the kind of quintissential "blue balls" moment I've come to know all too well as a Canucks fan. Oi.

Boeser's continuing strong play is terrific news. It's amazing how on so many nights he almost single handedly keeps the offense going. And he was doing it against another top young player in Matthews, as well.

Hopefully Tanev is OK. That guy is made out of Sami Salo, it would appear.

Gagner had quietly put together some offense of late. That was a nice shot on his goal tonight.

I really, really disliked Green's overtime units. Granlund, Eriksson, Del Zotto to start? I mean...wow. And then Dowd going out later, to boot. I'm dying to see Virtanen get an overtime shot, but it legitimately feels like Green will disappear down the tunnel, come running back out and hurl a kitchen sink onto the ice before that happens.

I think we need to get Don Cherry a 24/7 radio show, with his only script cues being "talk about what the Leafs need to do to get Gudbranson".

Overall, solidly entertaining game, albeit sucked to watch the Canucks piss away another lead. But if we're going to lose, better that's Boeser continues to be good while we do.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Canucks OT Loss : Meh a regulation loss would have been better:rolleyes:
Boeser Goal: :thumbu:

Overall Night: :) Good but not Great.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Markstrom did play well except for the usual inexplicable brain fart goal that sucks the life out of a team. It was called a bad goal, fortunately for him. Don't claim he knew it was offside, he bungled the shit out of it, again. I like a lot of his game but he mangles stuff, sometimes.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Two takeaways: Simpson is annoying..he clearly hates us. He couldn't stop gushing about Matthews and in ot after Boeser ringed it off the post and they were revising it he waned to talked about how leafs almost won it. That was painful.
I mean Hughson has a not-so-secret Canucks bias (though it's not always apparent I guess) being raised in B.C. Think they both kind of balance eachother out in Nucks-Leafs matches.

god I wish Hughson would call our games though, would legitimately tune into to more games just for his voice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad