GDT: 1/6/13 "Olympic Preview" - Panthers VS Canadiens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erick*

i love the effort horachek has this team playing with, i just wish something can be done about our absolutely abysmal play when we have an extra player (it doesn't even deserve to be called a powerplay)

If I had to take a guess, we've been one of the best 5v5 teams since Horachek took over. Our powerplay is brutal. Not only does it not score, but it gives the other team momentum.

Erick*

I don't know how long it is going to take for you and others to realise Matthias is what he is. Limiting his minutes doesn't hurt an NHL team. At almost 26, he's shown virtually no ability to produce offensively at the NHL level. He skates well, tries hard and is competent in his own end. There is nothing else to see. After nearly 300 games, you'd think people would accept this.

Oh, I agree. Matthias is what he is. He's a faster version of Tomas Kopecky. Just keep the cheaper, younger player and move the other guy. No one thinks that Matthias is a stud or anything. He's a checking line player. We have a bunch of those. For whatever reason, we're paying some of them too much money.

Jan 19, 2006
They looked awful the first two periods and looked a lot better in the third trying to tie it. They got what they deserved tonight.

I think your definition of awful and mine must be different.

Montreal carried play for much of the first, but "awful" is what we saw in the first month of the season - I didn't see much awful tonight.

The team is improving, but those things aren't linear.

Erick*

[/B]

I dare you to tell me that is what any of the players would say. You would be talking out of your buttocks if you think so.

I'm sure his teammates think he's a good guy. That doesn't take away from the fact that he's a terrible hockey player at this point in his career. It's time for the old man to retire.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
I don't know how long it is going to take for you and others to realise Matthias is what he is. Limiting his minutes doesn't hurt an NHL team. At almost 26, he's shown virtually no ability to produce offensively at the NHL level. He skates well, tries hard and is competent in his own end. There is nothing else to see. After nearly 300 games, you'd think people would accept this.

Then TRADE HIM! 1.75 mil not to use him is dumb.

Erick*

I think your definition of awful and mine must be different.

Montreal carried play for much of the first, but "awful" is what we saw in the first month of the season - I didn't see much awful tonight.

The team is improving, but those things aren't linear.

We were outshot 25-11 in the first two periods. In my opinion, that's pretty awful.

Erick*

Then TRADE HIM! 1.75 mil not to use him is dumb.

Exactly. Matthias has trade value even if it's minimal. If the organization doesn't like him for whatever reason, trade him to some other organization that does like him. As of right now, we have way too many of the same players. Certain guys have to go. I'm hoping it's the more expensive guys.

Jan 19, 2006
If I had to take a guess, we've been one of the best 5v5 teams since Horachek took over. Our powerplay is brutal. Not only does it not score, but it gives the other team momentum.

I agree, but I think that's a function of coaching and chemistry rather than talent.

The current group of players is capable of better production on special teams than what we've seen. They won't lead the NHL in scoring, but they are capable of adequacy.

Honestly, I think a couple of lucky bounces on the PP would do wonders for their psyche and would improve their subsequent effectiveness.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Matthias is good. We should let go of Kopecky so Matthias can get more minutes. We're better when we're faster. Young kids are being blocked which makes no sense considering the crap production we get from some of these veterans.

Also, Jovo's retirement will be a happy day for the entire fanbase. He's such a detriment to the team.

enough with the young kids being blocked... there is no young kids we have that r nhl ready they r in the minors where they should be

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Seems like this will be the trend the rest of the way: We'll win here & there, but lose a lot of close games.

If someone told me that the Panthers absolutely never practice the power play, it would be hard to argue with them. I just don't see how you can only rely on 5-on-5 to string together wins and be a successful team. It's just too hard. So it's hard to envision this team placing anywhere else besides the bottom-third of the league.

Kuli looks a lot better and I'd imagine his stock is rising back up if Tallon decided to go that route.

-ghoste

Agree with everything here. The main thing that keeps us from grabbing a wildcard spot is the PP, hands down. I watch this team dominate some good teams 5 on 5 and then stand still on the PP and play hot potato. Hesitant to shoot and thinking pass first, put Bergy on it at least, the guy shoots all the time. We have no rhythm or plan at all because Flash has done F-ALL on how many chances now and still gets minutes? More Bjugstad/Bergy/Barkov on the PP.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Bold prediction, Flash will be the point man on the PP next game.

Another bold prediction, we'll get 1 shot on goal.

Jan 19, 2006
We were outshot 25-11 in the first two periods. In my opinion, that's pretty awful.

I suppose if you consider shots on goal to be what defines the quality of play then you would probably see it that way.

You are entitled to your opinion, but having seen the game I simply do not agree.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Horachek has to notice the energy bump when he put Shore with Huby and Bjugs, and then how flat it looked with Upshall on it.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

Take Flash off that PP and replace him with one of the guys you want to replace (and I agree, we should replace at least one of them) and I guarantee you that our PP is 10 times better.

If I were to trade one player right now, it would be Flash.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Oh, I agree. Matthias is what he is. He's a faster version of Tomas Kopecky. Just keep the cheaper, younger player and move the other guy. No one thinks that Matthias is a stud or anything. He's a checking line player. We have a bunch of those. For whatever reason, we're paying some of them too much money.

You know exactly why these guys are making what they are. That was the summer of spending money and remaking the team in free-agency. Hopefully we can sign some quality players this summer too since Viola pretty much guaranteed getting better in the off season. You need to let the Kopecky=Matthias thing go.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Agree with everything here. The main thing that keeps us from grabbing a wildcard spot is the PP, hands down. I watch this team dominate some good teams 5 on 5 and then stand still on the PP and play hot potato. Hesitant to shoot and thinking pass first, put Bergy on it at least, the guy shoots all the time. We have no rhythm or plan at all because Flash has done F-ALL on how many chances now and still gets minutes? More Bjugstad/Bergy/Barkov on the PP.
That's a good idea. But obviously move Flash off the point at least. He's horrible.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
They looked awful the first two periods and looked a lot better in the third trying to tie it. They got what they deserved tonight.

they came out very strong to start. i think the first goal for the habs came on the first or second shot on a broken play. i was very happy with the start. after that goal, there was some squirrelly play which continued until just under 5 minutes to go in the period (after the 3 straight icings). after that, we had some good shifts and tied the game. didn't see the second but while i agree that there were some rough patches where we let the play get away from us, we hung in there. i think "got what they deserved" is overdoing it a little.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I suppose if you consider shots on goal to be what defines the quality of play then you would probably see it that way.

You are entitled to your opinion, but having seen the game I simply do not agree.

the habs blocked a ton of shots. i believe they'd blocked 20 by early 3rd period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad