GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Can't be happy about the loss but oh well... at least they tried

oGHYOcM.gif

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I think your definition of awful and mine must be different.

Montreal carried play for much of the first, but "awful" is what we saw in the first month of the season - I didn't see much awful tonight.

The team is improving, but those things aren't linear.

I think Montreal outplayed us, but it wasn't by a lot. This was a solid (albeit very boring) road game. If Jovo doesn't turn it over and Bergy scores instead of hitting iron, it's a win.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
5v5 49mins Shots
With Barkov, 13-6, Without Barkov 13-24

Pretty frustrating for sure. Goc line played pretty good aswell though they dont really get the proper scoring chances and finish. Shore really sparked Bjugstad line also. I wonder if Bergy should be removed from Bees since I think he has the ability to make for example Goc line even better also (Bergy-Goc-Gomez were amazing when Bergy was firstly promoted from 4th line) and Upshall wasnt bad with Barkov before and Boyes would be still there for finish. Especially in away games when you cant matchup so well, sometimes its worthy sharing the depth from best line.

btw Bjugstad still doesnt have any PP points :D

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
cant break up the killer bees, that'd kill the season

huberdeau with bjugstad and upshall would be good i think, i think matthias on that line could be worth a chance aswell

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Would like to see Huberdeau and Shore somehow paired up again. They played well last year.
Maybe stick with the Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Shore line.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Aleksander Barkov, 18, is leading us in scoring. So impressive, yet so sad.

Viner Viner Viner. One 30 goal scorer would have been a huge difference.

My hope is that we somehow hang within 8 points by deadline and rent a scorer. Even if we miss, being close would be great for the kids and Thomas. And us.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
5v5 49mins Shots
With Barkov, 13-6, Without Barkov 13-24

Pretty frustrating for sure. Goc line played pretty good aswell though they dont really get the proper scoring chances and finish. Shore really sparked Bjugstad line also. I wonder if Bergy should be removed from Bees since I think he has the ability to make for example Goc line even better also (Bergy-Goc-Gomez were amazing when Bergy was firstly promoted from 4th line) and Upshall wasnt bad with Barkov before and Boyes would be still there for finish. Especially in away games when you cant matchup so well, sometimes its worthy sharing the depth from best line.

btw Bjugstad still doesnt have any PP points :D

Can't break up the B line. No way. I like Shores hustle. I think he's played pretty well since coming back. Had some good hustle plays in this one. But you can't count on Boyes to finish. Can't count on Boyes for a lot really. He shows flashes of greatness. And then he makes stupid decisions with the puck. Playing on this line is definitely helping him but he is still a very streaky possession to possession player.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I don't know how long it is going to take for you and others to realise Matthias is what he is. Limiting his minutes doesn't hurt an NHL team. At almost 26, he's shown virtually no ability to produce offensively at the NHL level. He skates well, tries hard and is competent in his own end. There is nothing else to see. After nearly 300 games, you'd think people would accept this.

Oh, I agree. Matthias is what he is. He's a faster version of Tomas Kopecky. Just keep the cheaper, younger player and move the other guy. No one thinks that Matthias is a stud or anything. He's a checking line player. We have a bunch of those. For whatever reason, we're paying some of them too much money.

I agree as well, Matthias is a faster version of Kopecky and cheaper by about $1 mil. I don't think anyone is saying he's better than a third line player but I think, like Erick, he should be one of our future 3rd line players. He has done an excellent job in that role when given the chance and I think he is also very good on the PK. Matthias and Shore would be a good 2/3's of our future 3rd line.

J17, your comment about Matthias being 26 and close to 300 games with virtually no ability to produce offensively at the NHL level. You do realize that Kopecky is 31 and has played about 500 games and has the same percentage as Matthias in points. Kopecky has 164 points and Matthias has 90. Both percentages are about 31%.

In fact Goc is 30, played 531 games and 170 points. Again same percentage.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I don't know how long it is going to take for you and others to realise Matthias is what he is. Limiting his minutes doesn't hurt an NHL team. At almost 26, he's shown virtually no ability to produce offensively at the NHL level. He skates well, tries hard and is competent in his own end. There is nothing else to see. After nearly 300 games, you'd think people would accept this.

I agree as well, Matthias is a faster version of Kopecky and cheaper by about $1 mil. I don't think anyone is saying he's better than a third line player but I think, like Erick, he should be one of our future 3rd line players. He has done an excellent job in that role when given the chance and I think he is also very good on the PK. Matthias and Shore would be a good 2/3's of our future 3rd line.

J17, your comment about Matthias being 26 and close to 300 games with virtually no ability to produce offensively at the NHL level. You do realize that Kopecky is 31 and has played about 500 games and has the same percentage as Matthias in points. Kopecky has 164 points and Matthias has 90. Both percentages are about 31%.

In fact Goc is 30, played 531 games and 170 points. Again same percentage.

Goc and Kopecky get one hell of a lot more ice time as well. At least with their time in Florida. Something surely has to give soon. Can't see all three of these guys still in Florida after the trade deadline. Frankly wish they'd trade Matthias but right now don't see it as wouldn't you think if they were thinking of trading him they would be trying to showcase instead they seem to be burying him with no minutes. Either way I don't get it!

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
My thoughts on this are based on the future not really the present.

I think going forward the move to Shore/Matthias and who ever as the future 3rd line.
Like I said I agree with Erick on this with regards to how the payroll is spread out over the lines.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Kopecky earned his contract after Chicago's SC win in 2010. That's how these things work, players perform well and get good contracts. This seems to be a shock to many people here and I don't understand why.

Complaining about Kopecky's contract (when I bet no one complained about it last year) is just pointless. Complain about performance, sure, but unless you are new to the business his 3 million/year for another year or so should be an absolute non-issue.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
The question isn't how or why anyone got their contract. The discussion is asset management and how going forward do you balance the payroll to add the FA's that are needed.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
It all depends on how much VV wants to spends above the floor.

Because if he is willing to go close to the cap Tallon will make it rain on dem free agents.

I think Tallon will dump a contract or two at the tdl /draft.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
The question isn't how or why anyone got their contract. The discussion is asset management and how going forward do you balance the payroll to add the FA's that are needed.

Wasn't pointed at you but I still disagree, some were earlier pointing out how guys like Kopecky got his contract.

Regarding how the payroll is spread I don't think Kopy's 3 million is anything special for a third liner, especially when the Panthers are a cap floor team. Also a lot worse contracts are out there.

In any case, Kopecky will be a pending UFA in a year, I just don't see how his contract is a hindrance for this club.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012

yes, and do you think we'll get anything for kopecky without retaining salary?

if he's as bad as you guys say, he'll be retained at 50% to even get rid of him. and i rather have kopecky for 1½ more years than 50% off his salary while not playing.

he might not produce very much, but he can get hot at any time and go nuts like he did last year. he've had horrible puck luck but he's clutch in shootouts and a great teammate to help the kids.

would i resign him for 3m for 3 years? no, but i don't think that his current contract situation is so bad that we need to retain 50% of his salary and trade him for a 7th

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Wasn't pointed at you but I still disagree, some were earlier pointing out how guys like Kopecky got his contract.

Regarding how the payroll is spread I don't think Kopy's 3 million is anything special for a third liner, especially when the Panthers are a cap floor team. Also a lot worse contracts are out there.

In any case, Kopecky will be a pending UFA in a year, I just don't see how his contract is a hindrance for this club.

Agreed. We have some players with non-ideal contracts but then again we have players such as Boyes, Gilbert, Olsen, and Barkov who are bargains for what they produce.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Can't be happy about the loss but oh well... at least they tried

oGHYOcM.gif

Yeah, this.

We should've beat em. I'd trade like 5 of our guys and a pick for Byfuglien, have him at the point or in front. Very versatile, valuable weapon that guy.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
yes, and do you think we'll get anything for kopecky without retaining salary?

if he's as bad as you guys say, he'll be retained at 50% to even get rid of him. and i rather have kopecky for 1½ more years than 50% off his salary while not playing.

he might not produce very much, but he can get hot at any time and go nuts like he did last year. he've had horrible puck luck but he's clutch in shootouts and a great teammate to help the kids.

would i resign him for 3m for 3 years? no, but i don't think that his current contract situation is so bad that we need to retain 50% of his salary and trade him for a 7th

I never said Kopecky was bad. And at the trade deadline his salary does not have a huge impact on a team making a run at the cup. Like everyone says he has playoff/cup experience. I think we would get much more than a 7th and I doubt we have to retain anything.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
Agreed. We have some players with non-ideal contracts but then again we have players such as Boyes, Gilbert, Olsen, and Barkov who are bargains for what they produce.

And we have some that require raises coming up in the next year or 2.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
I never said Kopecky was bad. And at the trade deadline his salary does not have a huge impact on a team making a run at the cup. Like everyone says he has playoff/cup experience. I think we would get much more than a 7th and I doubt we have to retain anything.

kopecky is signed for another year and will be 3m next year on that said team.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Not 100% a given that they keep him for that next year correct.

no, but why would they waste a buyout?

it makes absolutely no sense.

he won't fetch anything without retaining 50% of his salary if he's as useless $$ spent. him at 1.5 is a "great" contract to take on for a 3rd-4th liner, which is usually a 4th round pick or whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce