GDT: 1/30/19 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Pittsburgh

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean - we have to stop sleeping. Just some awful coverage by D have led to three goals. Girardi has to be MUCH better. Point can't make that blind pass in the Dzone.

Honestly not worried. A game back from a long break is a perfect time for having a lot of energy, but making a lot of sloppy mistakes. And I think that's what we're seeing. We weren't going to win the next 33 games.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I mean - we have to stop sleeping. Just some awful coverage by D have led to three goals. Girardi has to be MUCH better. Point can't make that blind pass in the Dzone.

Honestly not worried. A game back from a long break is a perfect time for having a lot of energy, but making a lot of sloppy mistakes. And I think that's what we're seeing. We weren't going to win the next 33 games.
I'm not either. Did you see that drop pass to Johnson miss by a mile? This whole thing is rest versus rust.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Girardi should be encased in glass that says, "Break in case of emergency only". Wow. He sucks in coverage and sorting things out.

I do have to admit... I feel pretty good about the way we've played overall. Feels strange saying that when we're down 3-0. Other than those three lapses, we've really skated circles around them and been much more physical.

I still think we're going to win.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
So to summarize....

The Lightning are rusty
The Lightning are playing nasty
The 4th line is not winning the battles it used to earlier in the season
Stammer bad turnover
Point with a HORRID turnover
Vassy should have seen the wrap around coming for the 1st goal, not sure he can do anything about the other two.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
So to summarize....

The Lightning are rusty
The Lightning are playing nasty
The 4th line is not winning the battles it used to earlier in the season
Stammer bad turnover
Point with a HORRID turnover
Vassy should have seen the wrap around coming for the 1st goal, not sure he can do anything about the other two.

Stammer is playing tonight?:sarcasm:

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

Agreed, and an argument probably should be made that the NHL could've scheduled some of these better. Two teams played opponents who already had a game under their belt post-break last night, and neither won. We came out tonight and were down 3-0 inside of nine minutes. It's kind of to-be expected.

At this point in time, this team has earned the right to not be held under a microscope. Taking every d-zone mistake, coverage failure, whatever and applying it to a "this is gonna be a problem in the playoffs" mindset is one of the easiest ways out there to drive yourself crazy. It's not worth it. These guys have barely been around each other for a week and a half now, and they immediately get thrown out into a three-game roadtrip in the NE with two probable playoff teams involved. This isn't going to be easy, but that's why you build up a cushion to begin with. Whether this season ends in failure or success, the seeds aren't going to have been planted in these three games, assuredly.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Of Tampa's 16 SOG, 9 have come from our D-men.o_O

Subjective and probably biased but...

Hedman - at least he's shooting and trying to create something with 4 SOG. His -1 is due to Girardi's lack of defense and not really on him.

Girardi - this has reeeeeeally been a bad game for him. -2 with both GA being primarily his fault. Not just slow speed this time, but blown coverage and general brain fart-ness.

McDonagh - some good stuff but also some not so good. Stupid penalty (yes, they BOTH should have gotten matching penalties but...Pens). -2 due to a lapse by Girardi and by a Point blunder though I do think he has some blame for it too.

Cernak - don't remember anything bad which, for a rookie defenseman, is a good thing. -1 due to Point blunder.

Strålman - good first period with some excellent work on the 5 on 3 and some good solid defensive plays. Looks waaaaay more like his old self, thank goodness!

Sergachev - another decent first period. He's getting better defensively and can start to roam more offensively if Stråls keeps up the good defensive work.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Excuse me. I'm going to take a break. A hard break. I need this after this start. Maybe while I'm gone sipping Polish vodka and smoking this, they will score 5 goals. Just WTF.

13090-H.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad