GDT: 1/28: Guess Who's Back.. Boston Bruins vs. Florida Panthers 7pm ET NESN (HD), 98.5 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Watching the game again, and that pass by Soderberg to Smith was absolutely FILTHY.

The reason Soderberg is the best set-up man for that play is the way he postures himself and fakes as if he is making a move directly toward the net right before he makes the pass... which always seems to be right on Reilly's tape, crisp and accurate but not faster than necessary.

He is so good at faking the move toward the net that this time around i honestly, when watching the game in real-time, thought that Smith scored off of the lucky rebound from a Soderberg shot... except Soderberg never shot it. It happened so fast and i was in the middle of talking to a friend at the moment. But i was watching the game and seriously thought Smitty had just cashed in on a rebound.

The way Yeti positions himself and drives toward the net obviously draw defenders toward him, since he appears to be in the middle of committing to trying to stuff it home -- the BOOM -- the puck is on Reilly Smith's stick a half-second later for an easy goal. A goal made easy by the fact that the goalie also bites on Yeti faking the net-drive.

That fake is everything, to make for a high-percentage opportunity. This much should already be obvious to anyone who has played hockey and/or watches the game a lot. But it became even more obvious when they tried the same play while Yeti was out with a concussion.

They used the same structure, only with Marchand positioned down low in the corner to execute "the pass". No knock on Marchy -- the guy's got his mojo back now and has been on fire for quite some time now -- but Marchy kept making the pass prematurely, and it would either miss the mark or deflect off an opponent PK'ers stick. Brad wasn't making sure defenders were already committing to him before making that money pass.

IIRC, that play never worked once with Soderberg out of the lineup. To be fair to Marchy, teams obviously studied the tapes and were looking out for it by then and the PP goal vs. Florida was the first time the play had worked in awhile... even with Soderberg. It's been several games (as in 7-10??) since we've seen that beaut, i would guess off the top of my head.

Part of the reason for that is because it was clear teams were prepared for it so they stopped trying it for awhile. Any good PP has to have a balance in how often they use certain plays in order for those plays to still catch opponents by surprise over the course of a season.

Anyhow, that play is awesome and Soderberg works his role so well. It's worth mentioning that everyone else has to be doing their job in order for Yeti to have the opportunity to do his thing, that fake net-drive---->quick pass---->Smitty PPG.

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
When? They must have pulled it if it was from tonight.

fwiw i don't think getting caught on camera eating should make you an internet punchline.

Agree totally. Pretty classless on barstools part. There were plenty of comments on facebook saying the kid is mentally challenged, probably people who know him. Some things are better left alone

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Watching the game again, and that pass by Soderberg to Smith was absolutely FILTHY.

Preceeded by an aggressive move to the net which made it look like he was going to try and bang it home himself.

Liked Loui`s look off to Bergy I believe who was in the slot, freezing the down low D man who should have been on Sods too.

Just a slick looking play all around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad