1/26/05 NHL & NHLPA labor talk Game Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crows*

ChiHawks468 said:
Mojo radio 730 just said they received a "bulletin" and that the next meeting is tomorrow in New York.

Enter Bettman and Goodnow??????

PLEASE NO! or maybe it's good if they enter.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Crows said:
Enter Bettman and Goodnow??????

PLEASE NO! or maybe it's good if they enter.

If it IS...enter Bettman and Goodenow....the deal is already is essentially done, they just need to get their mugs in front of the camera when they come out and announce it.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
Well, I beleive that Bettman's office is in New York and I also heard that Goodenow might be there too. Does anyone know where the deal was announced after the last lockout? Wasn't it New York?

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
In my opinion your jumping the gun, alot.

Of course this is only the optimistic side of things.I had no expectation of anything being announced today as whatever is negotiated in a meeting needs to be put in a written proposal by lawyers before anything will be approved. As metioned 75% of the owners need to agree, so to get their approval takes time as they would like to see the finalized written proposal before commiting to anything.
That they will meet again this week is not a bad sign, so it shows as well that both sides are know under preassure to get something done now.

Reilly311

RangerBoy said:
NO Bettman's office is in New York City and Goodenow's office is in Toronto

Maybe Lemieux went to Toronto to assassinate Goodenow? :dunno:

SharkGirl27

Jan 23, 2005
San Jose, CA
ChiHawks468 said:
Well, I beleive that Bettman's office is in New York and I also heard that Goodenow might be there too. Does anyone know where the deal was announced after the last lockout? Wasn't it New York?

Where the deal was announced in '95 was brought up last week when it was rumored there may be a deal, but sorry if I am being stupid, but why does where it was announced 10 years ago matter? They can fly to Nigeria for all I care as long as they announce there will be a season!

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
RangerBoy said:
EJ Hradek from ESPN reported earlier this evening that both sides are under MAJOR PRESSURE to get a deal done
From their constituents (i.e. the players and the owners are pressuring their leaders) or from NBC or other corporate pressure?

Go Flames Go*

There keeping it on the hush which is good, that means there is some ground they have made. Even if either party is not happy, but feel a deal could be made they will not lead anyone on to it.

I still belive that there will not be a season, and if a deal is reached I will be more shocked then the season being canacelled.

Lou being there is something I have heard Petr Mahr speak about. He said he is one of the main people pressuring Bettman to get a deal done, and its good he was there because you have Hotchkiss 38 million payroll and New Jersey 50 Millionm plus. Also he is a hardliner which is good.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
OilerFan4Life said:
75% is 23 teams. I cant see 23 teams accepting a deal without a cap.

That depends on Bettman. He controls the show. While he has massive voting power its not written in stone he'll have to back a hard cap only, despite what he's said. If 18-20 owners put enough pressure on him he'd probably crack.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I am also under the impression that a simple majority (16 of 30 teams) can vote to undo that 'veto' decision they had made. Example: if there are still 8 hardliners that are delaying things, I am fairly certain that 16/30 owners can vote to overrule the agreed-upon circumstances and then any proposal would revert back to the fair ( and logical) 16/30.... Maybe I am mistaken...

Go Flames Go*

If Bettman says the deal is good enough to sign then the owners will likely vote for it. If he says the deal is not likable the owners can still vote to enforce it.

Go Flames Go*

Its being reported by ESPN that talks are gonna be either Thursday or Friday in New York.

I am still doubtful there will be a season. I could be wrong and hope I am, but I will not be shocked if nothing is done, I will be shocked if they do come to an agreement.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
So they're meeting tomorow? what source? All I heard is again this week.

Just curious...Thanks.

i don't think it was confirmed- i believe mojo radio rumored they'd meet tomorrow in NY...i may be misinformed though :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad