1/26/05 NHL & NHLPA labor talk Game Day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briannj1970

Jan 15, 2005
JWI19 said:
Figured we could have one thread to discuss todays labor talks.

Could we try to limit the donuts and favorite beer talk??

Speaking of which, an apple spice donut does sound good right about now...

chiavsfan

So..............lets see........around 4pm Central Standard Time, I am guessing that the meeting will be over. The players will come out spitting, ranting and raving, while the owners will say the meeting was productive...BUT "no new talks are scheduled"

Briannj1970

Jan 15, 2005
Just to get away from the donuts, I've levelled myself off to neutral as to what'll happen today. On the one hand it seems like all is totally lost for this year. Then you see some of the reasons on here as to why there'll be an agreement (the Chelios stuff, Linden somewhat flip flopping on last weeks talks, Alfredsson suddenly being specific about a hard cap), and it does have to make you wonder....are these guys playing this buy the book, saying all the things that are supposed to be said, one side looking to panic the other. The whole while you keep hearing stuff like "a part of the process". If bringing your fans on a roller coaster ride is "a part of the process" well I want off. Just give me my sport back.

Winter's a hell of a lot colder without a game to look forward to after work. :(

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
RangerBoy said:
What time are they meeting?10:30?How about meeting at 8:30 in the morning?10:30-4:15 is the usual time limit

The Fan590 just said on their 10am update that the PA isnt telling the players until 30mins before the meeting starts where it is... hence, itll be told to the media after it starts, and when you factor in Toronto traffic, it'll be a while before the media show up at what may be an already finished meeting.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
no13matssundin said:
The Fan590 just said on their 10am update that the PA isnt telling the players until 30mins before the meeting starts where it is... hence, itll be told to the media after it starts, and when you factor in Toronto traffic, it'll be a while before the media show up at what may be an already finished meeting.

I'm guessing the Skydome. Does it really matter where they meet as long as they get this thing back on the tracks?

Randy May

Last week after the meetings I went outside and noticed that my neighbor was repairing the fence between our 2 back yards. In an effort to get the fence up straight before he anchored a post to each side, he used an old hockey stick (that he had found in one of his rental houses) to prop up his side of the fence. It was quite fitting to see a hockey stick used for this purpose I thought. :p:

What I want to know is...what about that other fence that hockey is holding up...will it come down any time soon????? :help:

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Randy May said:
Last week after the meetings I went outside and noticed that my neighbor was repairing the fence between our 2 back yards. In an effort to get the fence up straight before he anchored a post to each side, he used an old hockey stick (that he had found in one of his rental houses) to prop up his side of the fence. It was quite fitting to see a hockey stick used for this purpose I thought. :p:

What I want to know is...what about that other fence that hockey is holding up...will it come down any time soon????? :help:

ahhh symbolism. i hate english btw.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
jericholic19 said:
today feels like trade deadline day. lots of excitement in the air right now. people losing their minds. 0rgy's spurred on.

It doesn't feel like trade deadline day to me. There is excitement in the air, but I have more of a sense of despair than I do optimism. Hence my avatar change. I hope that I am pleasantly surprised by the end of today.

Go Flames Go*

Im excited today to when finally the Owners come out together to announce that the greed of players has ended the 2004/2005 hockey season and no new talks are set fot at least 8 months.

Unless all that crying and *****ing on LIndens part was to soften the blow given today, all thoose messages was just a plan to try to get the NHL to soften there open ice hit on the players, there will not be a hockey season withouth some form of cap tied to revenues.

Will Mario Lemuix be able to presuade the players to go ao cap?

Last edited by a moderator:

Go Flames Go*

Hopefully Mario is there I would hope that Linden and the NHLPA would have the respect for Mario to listen to what he has to say. I think he could be a person that could sell the salary cap idea to the NHLPA.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Go Flames Go said:
Hopefully Mario is there I would hope that Linden and the NHLPA would have the respect for Mario to listen to what he has to say. I think he could be a person that could sell the salary cap idea to the NHLPA.

I wish Mario and Gretzky would keep out of this. Honestly, although they are two of the greatest, and most respected players of all time, their move to the management side has tainted their viewpoints. Now, if guys like Ray Bourque, or other former greats who have not moved on to management in the NHL want to throw in their two sense, then that's awesome.

EDIT: The key is not having anything to gain from the outcome. Gretzky/Lemieux have plenty to gain should a cap system come in.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Ok, fairly biggish update:

Howard Berger is talking with Mike Hogan @ 12:30pm on the Fan590 and is saying that hes talked with a high-up exec (in between GM & owner) and they think that the NHL is going to call the players bluff, come back with a hard cap, but with a much higher ceiling. He thinks that there is a deal to be done, but is still cautiously optimistic.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
We'll see how it goes.

I think a deal is definitely in the air, but it might not be for a few days yet. IMO it's best to not get too excited here. The rhetoric might not be totally played out yet.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
I think there's one question yet to be asked. If there's a deal forming in these talks, does this mean there's a short season after all or do they talk about saving the next season as a whole?

I for one think that there's not enough time for a season. Not anymore, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->