Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
dpcIZna.png

So poised.

Billy Mays Here*

Just got back from the games. Wish I could've stayed for the Gopher game, I left when it was 4-3 with about five minutes left in the third. Had to listen to the Gophers tying it up via the radio. Was a great atmosphere there.

As for the Wild game, I was really worried after that first period, but thankfully we didn't have to step up in the second dramatically as Colorado did that for us by taking a bunch of penalties. The first PP unit looked great. Everyone played fairly well I thought, except maybe Prosser and Powe. Backstrom wasn't that great either but luckily we bailed him out a few times. I was very impressed with Suter. He did so many little things tonight to help break up plays and keep the Avs from getting any good chances. Gilbet had a good game, Parise outhustled everyone, and Bouchard looked like his old self.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
My season start basically got postponed till Sunday. About 5 minutes in the power went out for four hours. So I saw virtually nothing except the first Colorado goal.

As for the Xcel, they almost have to get a new scoreboard next summer. They now have the score and shots on the small rim that is the lowest part of the scoreboard. Just a tiny rim! Where they use to have the game info is now advertising along with the regular video board. Technically, it's not even a scoreboard anymore.

What the . . ? So the important info is on the very bottom ring? The rest advertising? Pathetic. Wild fans continue to get the shaft in the arena experience. After seeing an HD board seemingly the same size as the ice surface down in Houston, it's long overdue for the Wild's NHL fans to get more than their AHL fans. Sadly I bet most Wild fans don't even know what they're missing. You have to go elsewhere to realize it.

mkoivu9*

My season start basically got postponed till Sunday. About 5 minutes in the power went out for four hours. So I saw virtually nothing except the first Colorado goal.

What the . . ? So the important info is on the very bottom ring? The rest advertising? Pathetic. Wild fans continue to get the shaft in the arena experience. After seeing an HD board seemingly the same size as the ice surface down in Houston, it's long overdue for the Wild's NHL fans to get more than their AHL fans. Sadly I bet most Wild fans don't even know what they're missing. You have to go elsewhere to realize it.

I'd like to have a new scoreboard too, but fans are treated to one of the best damn arena experiences in the league. Xcel is a top 3 if not the best arena in the league.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

The scoreboard is not the arena. The arena experience is top shelf.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
The first period, and really most of the game, this team showed their rust. You could tell who were the guys who haven't played meaningful games in a while, for the most part. It'll be that way for a bit in my opinion and I wouldn't put too much credence into it. The main thing you don't want to happen is to compound that by spending a ton of time in the box; Colorado was the perfect example of that. It's acceptable that the team isn't playing as cohesive unit, but you can't put yourself further behind the 8 ball.

Parise is just relentless on the forecheck. Awesome.

Granlund fit in just fine. As the for the second line, I like it how it's currently constructed. They'll start to click eventually and with Bouchard on the third line, it makes that line a legitimate threat as well and is one that needs to be accounted for. The team now has three lines that they can roll. Not to mention we saw how the lines shuffle after special teams anyway; I like it how it is and there's no reason to make changes for a while IMO.

As for the D, I thought one player from each pairing stood out on the positive side. Though, that may or may not be because the other looked sooo bad... Suter, Gilbert, and Falk all had strong games.

Thought Backstrom over-played the puck too much and that led to many high percentage looks for the Avs. Thankfully they couldn't capitalize. I can write it off as rust and an extended opening ceremony but this has to get better.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Agreed, most of the team looked very rusty to start. Avs had a lot of energy and urgency to their game. They must have thought to make some hits and that would get them going.

LOVE this team's chances on the PP. Two very dangerous lines.

You saw the difference Parise makes not only on the forecheck but two other places: with the puck on the rush and around the net, and also behind the net on the PP. He's got some good hands and can work the puck with Koivu while Heatley's doing work out front. Speaking of which, Heatley looks great. Two goals. Fantastic start.

Hopefully this team can capitalize on the PP while the rest of the team improves 5-on-5 as they looked a bit ineffective there.

Also, I'd like to see the 2nd and 3rd lines mixed up:

Brodziak - Granlund - Bouchard
Clutterbuck - Cullen - Setoguchi

Seto just looks lost out there still. Skilled but lost. I'd like him on the third line. Cullen looked decent actually and I like him on the PP for draws, but I think Brodziak has a better all-around game and could be a more physical element. Butch just needs more ice time because he looks amazing. Really, outside Seto, it's not that guys aren't good, just that you want to feature your best players and IMO Brodz/Butch are better than Cullen/Seto.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I didn't think Seto didn't look lost at all. It's only one game, but given the built-in excuses the lockout and truncated camp allows I saw zero reason to tinker with forwards. edit: and i notice Seto's physicality more than Brodz last night. Not my historical view of the two players, but there wasn't anything last night that that said Brodziak was a better hockey player than Seto.

Defense needs tinkering, but really not sure what can be done there with fewer choices and the inconsistency we've come to expect from a lot of our players. Brodin and Scandella should help once they're healthy.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Granlund looks so tiny out there. lol When the guy has the puck on his stick you just feel like no one can take it away even if five guys charge him.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Granlund looks so tiny out there. lol When the guy has the puck on his stick you just feel like no one can take it away even if five guys charge him.

I thought he looked quite a bit taller than I thought he was. Granted, he doesn't look as developed into his frame but he is still a kid at this stage.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Great to have hockey back! First period sucked though, there was clearly rust and clearly a feeling out period for Granlund, you could see he was trying to think his way through the period. Second period he started to add instinct to his game, and you could see it step up dramatically...still has a way to go, but he clearly belongs and will greatly improve the more he gets things down to an instinctual level.

Everyone improved in the second after that first pp, the team clearly got some jump after that. Parise and Koivu have such puck control, all Heatley needs to do is go to the net to look for garbage to clean up...he could have a big year if he can jump on those like he has in years past!

Between Cullen and Setoguchi, it was Setoguchi that looked the odd man out on the second line. Granlund is so good on the puck, but he can't be the only source of puck control if that line wants to be a threat. Cullen was at least able to make a pass or two, but if the puck reached Setoguchi he kept turning it over and ending any threat. Not sure if this line will ever work as is. Maybe swap Cullen and Brodziak, as Setoguchi may be able to go to a more Heatley style cleanup role then...either that, or Setoguchi needs to go down a line.

Was not at all impressed with Backstrom. He was overplaying the puck all night long. Thankfully the Avs were hitting posts and our defensemen managed to bail him out as well. This was the exact same Backstrom from the scrimmage...getting concerning. Hope Harding is in net tonight!

On defense, my god Suter makes skating look effortless! Spurgeon was good along with Suter on breakouts and both rocked on holding the offensive zone, though Spurgeon was pushed around a bit in his own zone. Gilbert was ok, as was Stoner...but Falk and Prosser were downright ugly out there!

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
how many giveaways did Seto have?
he did have three hits though.

I don't think you were paying much attention if you thought Spurge looked alright out there. "a bit" is a little understated. You mentioned turning the puck over...If Spurgeon wasn't the worst offender last night, he was in the top three.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
how many giveaways did Seto have?
he did have three hits though.

I don't think you were paying much attention if you thought Spurge looked alright out there. "a bit" is a little understated. You mentioned turning the puck over...If Spurgeon wasn't the worst offender last night, he was in the top three.

Not bashing Spurgeon so much for the defensive zone play because Suter was cleaning up well for him, and Spurgeon was so valuable everywhere else...Falk and Prosser were worthless everywhere, and Stoner looked lost everywhere but in front of his own net.

Spurgeon and Suter both are simply our only defenseman who can consistently breakout of their own zone. A trait Spurgeon had last season also. We need more puck moving defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad