GDT: 1/17/15 "Spill Cleanup" Oilers VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erick*

The team has a terrible reputation Erick. Who'd want to come here? That's always bandied about, "he can't bring in an elite.." Who has? Ever??? No one, because Cohen made us a friggin joke for a decade and a half. Not to mention there haven't been many available. Parise was going to Minnesota, period. That's what he wanted, you can't bring him up.

That's definitely the one thing that makes it tough to judge Tallon.

Ownership.

Cohen was a joke, and it seems from reports that Viner made things tough, as well. I don't know if it was accurate, but GR wrote a piece weeks ago that said that Tallon wanted Luongo since ~3 years ago, but couldn't because of ownership.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Well folks, teams usually have a few losing streaks during the year. I can't think of any team eligible for the playoffs that hasn't hit the wall at some point. It happens and that's just hockey. They will bounce back and I would bet in contention with 10 games to go. Don't understand the closed door meeting. It's not like they didn't give a good effort. Edmonton can play with anybody if they get decent goaltending.

The shootout was a laugh. Come on Finns, have a little imagination. The league has seen that move so much it's almost like the movie "Groundhog Day."

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I will say the Bjugstad line has lost it's chemistry. Not for lack of effort but they look out of sync. Hayes is not the same player unless he has a scrum to start the game. Again, he was trying but he needs that spark to get that extra jump.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
they weren't lucky to make it that year, they were just lucky to win the division. they would've made it either way.

this last offseason was the only time tallon has ever had financial freedom here, he's fine and don't expect him to go.

and id like to see some line changes:
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Trocheck (in for flash)
Bergenheim-Barkov-Boyes
Jokinen-Bolland-Hayes
Why break up Huberdeau and Barkov?

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I will say the Bjugstad line has lost it's chemistry. Not for lack of effort but they look out of sync. Hayes is not the same player unless he has a scrum to start the game. Again, he was trying but he needs that spark to get that extra jump.

That line hasn't been the same since Huberdeau was replaced with JJ

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
That line hasn't been the same since Huberdeau was replaced with JJ

JJ needs to stay with Bolland

Huby-Barkov-Hayes
Bergy-Bjugs-Trocheck
JJ-Bolland-Boyes
Kopy-McK-Upshall

I'd love to see Pirri instead of Boyes too but that wont ever happen

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Id say Bjugstad's lack of production has to do with Huberdeau no longer being there. I dont think there is much chemistry with Jokinen and Hayes.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
JJ needs to stay with Bolland

Huby-Barkov-Hayes
Bergy-Bjugs-Trocheck
JJ-Bolland-Boyes
Kopy-McK-Upshall

I'd love to see Pirri instead of Boyes too but that wont ever happen

Gallant has only rarely iced lines without at least one veteran on them. The only times I can remember were the huberdeau-bjugstad-pirri line sometime around the Nashville game and the Pirri-Trocheck-Hayes line also around the beginning of the season. Both of those lines only stayed together for a handful of games and we're put together due to injuries.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
you guys can keep talking about who was more talented what players we should've brought or left what coach bla bla...more or less each team is either better or worse than the other...for me the biggest signs are just the down right predictability year after year no matter the cast. Play a crap team, oh we'll lose. play Anaheim, yup we'll win. 3 game win streak? Impossible ...ohh we got one , we'll lose 3 straigh....we're playing against a back up? Yup we'll lose. Lol it's hilarious we as fans see a situation and we all respond/post with the same negative feeling which is like what? 95% always true lol

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If Tallon doesn't do something before the deadline, like in the next few weeks, I don't think he'll make it to the draft here.

Yes he will. He wouldn't be so confident in building with the youth and waiting for the right player to come along if he didn't have ownership's blessing. His job is safe.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
This is also Tallon's 4th (technically, 5th) year though.

Compare the talent level of this team to the talent level of the team he took over and there's not much of a difference. Not yet, anyway. I don't know how the rest of the talent he's assembled still in the AHL, etc. are going to pan out, but it should be pretty clear by now. Didn't he say it was going to be a "5-year plan" when he took over? It's about that time.

We are contending for the playoffs in year 5, so we are right on schedule...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm not that emotional right now.

When you talk about the roster Tallon had when he took over, you have to include all of the guys he traded from that roster for picks, which was a choice he made.

You're probably thinking about the roster that was so abysmal because he was purposely trying to tank at the time to get good draft picks.

If you check it out, you'd see that that team had players on it that went on to have some success with other teams. There were no studs, but there were some good players. That's basically a good way to sum up our current team. No studs, but there are some good players.

And that team was much worse in the standings than this team, with not nearly as good upside.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Gallant said in an interviw "No excuses.. but we still looked very tired out there after that road trip"

Jan 19, 2006
Gallant said in an interviw "No excuses.. but we still looked very tired out there after that road trip"

I don't think what a coach says in an interview with the press has any relation to what he says to his team behind closed doors.

He didn't have the meeting after the game to tell the players that they looked tired.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Even though the overall performance was pretty bad, the 2pts were still there to take. Half-assed defensive effort on the PP was what cost the win. Ekblad turned it over, over committed to one guy, Bjugstad was slow to cover for him and don't even get me started where Jokinen was.

Also Gallant sure loves to do some boneheaded decisions:

- Bjugstad line on to start one of the PPs, even though they had just been on the ice prior to the penalty
- Kopecky on TWICE for OT, seriously what the **** :facepalm:
- Jussi "I know two moves and they're both the same basically" Jokinen always in for the SO

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
Is there a reason Trocheck is being repeatedly scratched rather than sent down to the AHL? I don't mind him not getting ice time with the big boys, but he needs to play in the A at least. We've got Pirri on the shelf and Thornton will be back soon.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Is there a reason Trocheck is being repeatedly scratched rather than sent down to the AHL? I don't mind him not getting ice time with the big boys, but he needs to play in the A at least. We've got Pirri on the shelf and Thornton will be back soon.
He's played very poorly (compared to the earlier games) and then there was the diving incident. 2+0 in the last 13 games IIRC.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
He's played very poorly (compared to the earlier games) and then there was the diving incident. 2+0 in the last 13 games IIRC.

His play wont get any better if he is rotting in the pressbox. At least send him back down so he can get playing time.

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013

I get that, I'm just confused as to why he hasn't been sent down. Poor play or not, a young player needs to play somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad