GDT: 1/10/2015 - Preds @ Wild - 1PM CST / 9PM Suomi - FS-N, FS-WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montana41

Dec 29, 2013
Funny you mention MacLean, He gets Vezina caliber goaltending from Anderson in the lockout year and wins the Jack Adams award, the goaltending returns to normal and he's fired a year and a half later.

Roy says hello.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
If GMCF fires Yeo after an extension, he isn't safe and he shouldn't be. He has done very little to improve the roster outside of luring a few players that wanted to come back home to the team. Oh and probably Carter. Most of his big FA signings have been busts, the majority of his first round picks have been disappointments and his trades have been mediocre at best.

First I want to say that I agree with your first sentence. If Yeo is fired half a year after signing an extension, that looks bad on Fletcher for sure. The rest I disagree with.

What big FA signings have we had outside of Parise/Suter/Vanek? None of those are busts. Vanek is more in the disappointing range than bust. The other two have been worth every penny.

Fletcher's first round draft picks:
09: Leddy
10: Granlund
11: Brodin, Phillips
12: Dumba
14: Tuch

1 bust in there - Phillips, with Leddy being traded. Granlund a disappointment but still young. Otherwise a hit on Brodin and too early to tell on the rest.

What trades has he outright lost? Safe to say the Burns trade at this point and the Leddy trade. Clear wins - Nino, Pominville (imo), getting a second rounder for Seto. Not a great track record, but not a horrible one.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
First I want to say that I agree with your first sentence. If Yeo is fired half a year after signing an extension, that looks bad on Fletcher for sure. The rest I disagree with.

What big FA signings have we had outside of Parise/Suter/Vanek? None of those are busts. Vanek is more in the disappointing range than bust. The other two have been worth every penny.

1 bust in there - Phillips, with Leddy being traded. Granlund a disappointment but still young. Otherwise a hit on Brodin and too early to tell on the rest.

What trades has he outright lost? Safe to say the Burns trade at this point and the Leddy trade. Clear wins - Nino, Pominville (imo), getting a second rounder for Seto. Not a great track record, but not a horrible one.

While none of these picks are really busts besides Phillips, lets take a look at these players and players taken after these picks just to play devils advocate.

09- Leddy- Traded, but we do have Schroeder, who is just an AHL call up. Krieder probably the best player taken after Leddy.

10- Granlund- Not a bust but hasn't been a huge impact we hoped he would be. Meanwhile in St. Louis, Tarasenko is a point per game player

11: Brodin- Stud.

12: Dumba- Too early to call a bust but there was Jacob Trouba who had 29pts in 65 games for Winnipeg last year. Filip Forsberg nearly a point per game player. Maata for Pittsburgh has had instant impact.

13- No 1st round pick

14- Tuch- way too early to tell.

Look at this short sample of drafts. It doesn't matter where the Wild pick, we never, ever get an instant impact player. Go back to previous drafts since the franchise began. Have we ever gotten an absolute stud? Not really. Are the Wild just swinging and missing constantly? Or are they not very good at developing young players into high impact players? Something has to change or we'll be average forever.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
While none of these picks are really busts besides Phillips, lets take a look at these players and players taken after these picks just to play devils advocate.

09- Leddy- Traded, but we do have Schroeder, who is just an AHL call up. Krieder probably the best player taken after Leddy.

10- Granlund- Not a bust but hasn't been a huge impact we hoped he would be. Meanwhile in St. Louis, Tarasenko is a point per game player

12: Dumba- Too early to call a bust but there was Jacob Trouba who had 29pts in 65 games for Winnipeg last year. Filip Forsberg nearly a point per game player. Maata for Pittsburgh has had instant impact.

13- No 1st round pick

Look at this short sample of drafts. It doesn't matter where the Wild pick, we never, ever get an instant impact player. Go back to previous drafts since the franchise began. Have we ever gotten an absolute stud? Not really. Are the Wild just swinging and missing constantly? Or are they not very good at developing young players into high impact players? Something has to change or we'll be average forever.

Can we define "instant impact player" for me?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

13- No 1st round pick

Yes, I completely agree with this and made the same point sometime last week. It's the fact that we've never drafted a stud player in the past 10 years. I was just pointing out that his draft record wasn't horrible, but you're right, no home runs in there right now other than maybe Brodin.

Now it's obviously not easy, and you have to remember that a bunch of other teams passed up on Tarasenko and co. as well. Still hurts that we haven't had a single guy like that ever.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Being scared to draft Russians definitely hurts with those misses. Also overvaluing "character" over skill

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
And you know that how?

You think yeo is able to treat the vets like the youngins? Why has he still not moved suter / poms on the pp? How long did it take to get the kids more ice time when the vets were horrendous? Even russo said earlier something about yeo not running risk of losing the vets

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
You think yeo is able to treat the vets like the youngins? Why has he still not moved suter / poms on the pp? How long did it take to get the kids more ice time when the vets were horrendous? Even russo said earlier something about yeo not running risk of losing the vets

Then that's on Yeo. Doesn't mean the vets would whine about it. Russo's said he may potentially be scared to do it; that's different than knowing the vets would whine if they were taken off the PP.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009

For me, what is lacking is the development of the picks we have.
Look the following young guys are underacheiving right now, some rushed-Coyle, Haula, Granlund etc..we completely messed up Bulmer who looked good at 19 in NHL games, Gabriel/Brussiers/ Gelinas etc all good players that arent developing properly, Phillips we drafted as a centerman and instead has played wing for 3 years ???????,Leddy we gave up on too early etc etc. Thats too many top pick guys that to this point havent played to potential to just blame Fletcher. Just too big a coincidence for Haula/coyle/granlund etc to be stalled in their development, IMo.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yes let's ignore the multitude of injuries that derailed bulmer and instead blame it on our development.

Not to mention numerous concussions/injuries to Granlund. Though I'm not sure I would totally blame injuries in that case.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Yes let's ignore the multitude of injuries that derailed bulmer and instead blame it on our development.

Your splitting hairs there Tommy !
No question, injuries have hurt his development, my point stands we have not done a great job developing the talent we have..too many guys rushed is just an example.

J22*

Because he doesn't have better options on the roster? It's really not that hard to see. For the role they are asked to play on the PP, Suter is the Wilds best PP player. No, he doesn't have the cannon shot but the PP isn't designed for him to be the shooter anyway. Just about any time you see Suter shooting it's because of a failure to create a play by Koivu/Parise. How many times have you seen Parise complete a pass to Vanek in the slot, or Pominville on the back door, or just flat out take the puck to the front of the net? Because that's what the scheme is designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad